Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm strongly considering retaking my A levels (biology, chemistry, physics) after quitting sixth form when I was 16 due to illness.

I would be a mature student (22). I just wondered how many mature full-time students there are out there doing A Levels? Do you feel a bit self-conscious being a lot older than some of the people in your classes?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a mature student, however I attended a FE college for a short period of time (I left as I was only 15v and didn't like it) and some people in my GCSE classes were 19/20 while others doing A levels were much older. You will find that a lot of people your age will make up the classes and rather than being a lot older than some of the people you might find you are one of the youngest in your classes!

Definitely go for it though :yep: and good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Why not just go onto an access course that will let you onto degree level, it is very good preparation for a degree and you won't have to waste time doing A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    I did A level chemistry as a mature student (22) this year, and it was fine. The weirdest thing I found was walking around the school (I had to do it at a school, through a local college) with the year 7's calling me Miss! But really, it doesn't make an awful lot of difference - sometimes you get annoying immature people, but then I get that with people my own age too - you forget about the age gap most of the time so really don't worry about it. I found I had a better rapport with my teachers because in some cases I was closer to their age than my fellow students!

ReputationRep:
    Oh I was a mature student and it was fine. I used to have all the students thinking I was about 19 when I'm really 25/26 (throughout the year) But it was brilliant, and there were no real probs (except for the other mature student whose head was up her own arse)

ReputationRep:
    Don't you have to pay like a real high fee upwards 800/900 quid to go to college 19+?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott20)
    Don't you have to pay like a real high fee upwards 800/900 quid to go to college 19+?
    If you receive means tested benefits then the tuition will be waived.

ReputationRep:
    This thread has answered everything I was curious about: Mature students in a room of 16/17 year olds (I'm 21). I suppose around my age would be an age I'd get on better with the teacher?!

ReputationRep:
    Im a mature student too and Ive chosen to do 1 year intensive a levels next year than 1 year access course because access courses are only valid for up to 2 years unlike a levels. Plus a levels are accepted in every uni unlike access courses. Everyone should be mature students in my course coz you need to have already sat a levels before and you should be at least 19 to get in...though I personally wouldnt get intimidated or feel left out if I was mixed with 16-18 year olds in same class. Oh and it would help if you look younger than your actual age:p:

ReputationRep:
    I look younger that my actual age. Most people think I look 17 or 18 rather than 21 =/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.