Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm strongly considering retaking my A levels (biology, chemistry, physics) after quitting sixth form when I was 16 due to illness.

I would be a mature student (22). I just wondered how many mature full-time students there are out there doing A Levels? Do you feel a bit self-conscious being a lot older than some of the people in your classes?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a mature student, however I attended a FE college for a short period of time (I left as I was only 15v and didn't like it) and some people in my GCSE classes were 19/20 while others doing A levels were much older. You will find that a lot of people your age will make up the classes and rather than being a lot older than some of the people you might find you are one of the youngest in your classes!

Definitely go for it though :yep: and good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Why not just go onto an access course that will let you onto degree level, it is very good preparation for a degree and you won't have to waste time doing A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    I did A level chemistry as a mature student (22) this year, and it was fine. The weirdest thing I found was walking around the school (I had to do it at a school, through a local college) with the year 7's calling me Miss! But really, it doesn't make an awful lot of difference - sometimes you get annoying immature people, but then I get that with people my own age too - you forget about the age gap most of the time so really don't worry about it. I found I had a better rapport with my teachers because in some cases I was closer to their age than my fellow students!

ReputationRep:
    Oh I was a mature student and it was fine. I used to have all the students thinking I was about 19 when I'm really 25/26 (throughout the year) But it was brilliant, and there were no real probs (except for the other mature student whose head was up her own arse)

ReputationRep:
    Don't you have to pay like a real high fee upwards 800/900 quid to go to college 19+?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott20)
    Don't you have to pay like a real high fee upwards 800/900 quid to go to college 19+?
    If you receive means tested benefits then the tuition will be waived.

ReputationRep:
    This thread has answered everything I was curious about: Mature students in a room of 16/17 year olds (I'm 21). I suppose around my age would be an age I'd get on better with the teacher?!

ReputationRep:
    Im a mature student too and Ive chosen to do 1 year intensive a levels next year than 1 year access course because access courses are only valid for up to 2 years unlike a levels. Plus a levels are accepted in every uni unlike access courses. Everyone should be mature students in my course coz you need to have already sat a levels before and you should be at least 19 to get in...though I personally wouldnt get intimidated or feel left out if I was mixed with 16-18 year olds in same class. Oh and it would help if you look younger than your actual age:p:

ReputationRep:
    I look younger that my actual age. Most people think I look 17 or 18 rather than 21 =/

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.