Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Natwest Student Railcard watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Basically I opened a student account just over a month ago in preparation for starting uni this September.

I got sent a railcard application in the post and happily filled it out and posted it back. It said the post method was the slowest, but I couldn't do it via phone because I can't send picture messages, nor could I do it online because I don't have any way of uploading a suitable photo.

Still waiting for it now, and my old one (which I bought last year) expired last week.

My question is, how slow is slow? Do I not get the railcard til I'm 100% confirmed as a uni student (i.e. I get the right grades so am definitely on the course)? Is it worth buying a new one as I'm traveling from Wolverhampton to Windsor twice this month and it'll cost me over £90 on the full fare?

My boyfriend opened his student account a few weeks before me and hasn't even received his railcard application yet?!!?

ReputationRep:
    It should take two weeks max for it to come through, it sounds like you should chase them up. And your boyfriend may have to ring them up to get sent an application, thats what i did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zariel)
    Is it worth buying a new one as I'm traveling from Wolverhampton to Windsor twice this month and it'll cost me over £90 on the full fare?
    Yes; probably better wait until a couple of days before the journey - but even if you shell out £20 on a railcard, you're going to save a third - i.e. £30 per journey. So you're £10 up, and that's excluding any other journeys you might make.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, when should I open a student account? I was going to after my place at University is confirmed on results day. Should I open one sooner?

ReputationRep:
    Train doesnt have to cost that much even without a railcard. Use thetrainline or qjump to book your tickets on line, it'll be much cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Missmeem)
    Hmm, when should I open a student account? I was going to after my place at University is confirmed on results day. Should I open one sooner?
    If you open an account too late, you've less chance of getting your loans on time and might not get the free railcard...

ReputationRep:
    Little thread drift, sorry!

Am I right in believing that the free young persons railcard offered by NatWest is actually only worth £26 if you went out and bought one yourself?
    http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/buy-16-25-railcard

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but you get it free for 5 years!
    I'm poor, so I'm glad of it...it came through btw, hurrah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zariel)
    If you open an account too late, you've less chance of getting your loans on time and might not get the free railcard...
    No worries I posted that a while ago, I opened my account already and everything's fine

ReputationRep:
    If you're going to stay in a campus uni, what are the chances of using the rail? Just a question that struck me a bit as I'm an int'l student and I'm not sure if there really is the need for me to sign up with Natwest and get that 5 year valid free rail card...... btw, do you know if I can sign up for a step current account as an INT'L student??

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.