Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My brother was 12 and broke his leg which at the time he didn't exercise for a year and put weight on, then he ate way too much junk and got to 16 stone at 16. He then lost 5 stone over 6 months through healthy diet and exercise which I was proud as he did it for himself. My mom only recently said he was bullied at school over it which made me sad.

Now he is 20 and the other day the scales still had his weight and I was nosy and saw it said 8 stone 1lb, I was petrified as he is 5ft 9in and that is very low. He lost 17lbs in one week last month due to pleurisy and not eating. I tried to tell him that he doesn't need to lose weight but he was quiet knowing he had a problem and turned it round on me advising on my weight which I have lost 7lbs and am now 10 stone but I am not extreme. I went on a website called beat which looks good.

How can I help him, I don't want to seem interfering, is it best I help him build muscle to put weight on?

ReputationRep:
    17lbs in 1 week? Most of thats going to be water. Infact, a hell of alot of that will be water. If he wants to build muscle you need an energy excess, for me that means 3,500-4000 kcal/day. If someone has body dysmorphia then I highly doubt their going to consume this amount of food?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I do think it's psychological and, from what you said, caused directly from the bullying. You need to discuss this with somebody else who knows him well (your Mum?) or somebody who lives with him.

They'll have much more useful advice than strangers who don't really know the whole story.

It's good to know you care so much about your brother.

ReputationRep:
    Your brother's BMI is 16.7. That's incredibly low.

It's a massive responsibility for you to try and stop him by yourself, talk to someone from http://www.b-eat.co.uk/Home or your GP. It does sound like he's got a problem, but if you talk to him and he denies it, don't just take it at face value.

good luck.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.