Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

need to re-shuffle my uni options... bit worried :/ Watch

i got told today by the head of our sixthform [or at least i think she is...] that i will definitely get denied by the unis that ask for a grade higher than i'm predicted.
    however, they were going to be 3 out of my 5 choices.

i really want to take social anthropology, but if somewhere doesn't do that, then sociology and anthropology.
    i'm predicted BBB, but my recent end-of-year report suggests one A, and the other 3 A/B... [but i'm probably dropping history next year]

my top 5/6 [and their entry requirements] are:

-*Edinburgh*- BBB [i <3 edinburgh as a city]
    -St Andrews -ABB
    -LSE- ABB
    -Durham/ Glasgow [do soc/anth instead] - ABB
    -Kent- BBC/ BBB

also, i've been told to consider somewhere more local that asks for BBB and lower and scrap an ABB [thinking of going to london for postgrad instead, so probs scrapping that one] [oh, and i live in cheshire, with regards to locality of unis]

any help?

i'm a bit worried now... :eek:

------update------
    just got my AS-results, and I got AAABB [the As in the three subjects I'm taking next year, and a B in gen studies, which might not be considered as part of my results]

but will my
    1 A*, 6 As, 3 Bs and a C in GCSE now ruin my chances instead?

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to teachers.
    Phone/e-mail the uni and find out from them.

I was predicted BBB and got an offer of AAB. I ended up with ABC and they still let me in. And that was Law at a redbrick.

ReputationRep:
    Watch out, Edinburgh says BBB but they give the BBB offers to those predicted AAA or more. It's not easy to get into, about 20% get an offer for humanities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmiiRainbow)

also, i've been told to consider somewhere more local
    How on earth does your school feel it's up to them the location of your uni choice?! Apply where you want to apply, ignore the school. If you're predicted BBB probably apply for a couple of BBBs an ABB and a BBC? You seemed to have the balance right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    Watch out, Edinburgh says BBB but they give the BBB offers to those predicted AAA or more. It's not easy to get into, about 20% get an offer for humanities.
    Oh yeah, same goes for LSE to be fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serrellen)
    Oh yeah, same goes for LSE to be fair.
    Not saying don't apply for it, but just don't count on these two whatsoever.

(Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    I was predicted BBB and got an offer of AAB. I ended up with ABC and they still let me in. And that was Law at a redbrick.
    if edinburgh basically asks for higher than what they ask, then which kind of places ask for AAB but take BBB?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    I'm predicted BBC, though hoping to get BBB. I got 2 ABB offers and a BBB offer, and although that's not going to be the case for everyone, I think your teacher is chatting our of her arse that you'll be rejected by all of them.

ReputationRep:
    if edinburgh basically asks for higher than what they ask, then which kind of places ask for AAB but take BBB?:confused:
    Could you re-phrase that? I don't quite understand.

ReputationRep:
    Don't put all your eggs in one basket. By all means apply for 1 or 2 optimistic choices but make sure you've got some less ambitious choices to fall back on.

Good luck!

Could you re-phrase that? I don't quite understand.
    sorry :/
    edinburgh say that their entry requirements are BBB yet only really give those offers to 'AAA' students???
    yet there are places that ask for AAB but take ABC- what kind of places are these?

[sorry, i don't think that made much sense either ]

ReputationRep:
    Both St Andrews and Edinburgh give low(ish) offers but offer less places, if that makes sense. For example, a friend applied for Anthropology at Cambridge and St Andrews, got accepted at the former, rejected the latter. It's all quite strange .

ReputationRep:
    sorry :/
    edinburgh say that their entry requirements are BBB yet only really give those offers to 'AAA' students???
    yet there are places that ask for AAB but take ABC- what kind of places are these?

[sorry, i don't think that made much sense either ]
    Oh I see what you mean now

Well I'm not sure about Edinburgh because I didn't apply to it. But the first time I applied (the time I told you about) was to Liverpool University which is in my home city so I'm inclined to believe that they favour home students and are willing to give them a place even if they miss the required grades.

A bit more 'evidence' to prove my theory:

When I was told that they had accepted me, I turned the offer down (long story). I took a year out (2008- until now) and applied to Liverpool University again but for Philosophy. They ask for ABB for Philosophy but again, they let me in with ABC.

A cracking personal statement helps too but I do believe that universities are lenient in regards to local students (with the exception of Oxbridge!).

Or maybe it's that Liverpool Uni is lenient in general.

A cracking personal statement helps too but I do believe that universities are lenient in regards to local students (with the exception of Oxbridge!).

Or maybe it's that Liverpool Uni is lenient in general.
    thanks for all the info
    any idea where i can find out if the uni is more lenient to local students?
    if so, any idea if manchester might ask for lower entry requirements for me then?

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all the info
    any idea where i can find out if the uni is more lenient to local students?
    if so, any idea if manchester might ask for lower entry requirements for me then?
    It's speculation about universities accepting local students with lower grades so I don't think there is any statistical evidence for it, the only general statistics for university entry that I can find are here: http://www.ucas.ac.uk/about_us/stat_...e/data_tables/

Manchester (as with any uni) will usually give you the offer as stated in their prospectus or online - it's rare for them to lower it. But if you miss their offer they may still accept you, there's no way of knowing though.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    I think there have been a few people predicted BBB who got offers from Edinburgh actually, so it's not all doom and gloom :tongue: (I'm pretty sure someone got an offer for English actually... predicted BBB) It is pretty widely known that people predicted AAA get rejected from Edinburgh, though They're a bit mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    I think there have been a few people predicted BBB who got offers from Edinburgh actually, so it's not all doom and gloom :tongue: (I'm pretty sure someone got an offer for English actually... predicted BBB) It is pretty widely known that people predicted AAA get rejected from Edinburgh, though They're a bit mean.
    Well I was predicted ABB and I got an offer but that was for science It says on the website thing that it's 20% per offer for humanities, though it might differ between subjects, it's still pretty tough and having BBB isn't going to help...

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh, as I've said before, have a strange admissions policy- BBB may well be enough, and it has been for others who were predicted it. Basically, everyone predicted BBB or above goes into the 'selection phase' where everything is looked at- PS, Extra Curriculars, subjects, references, the whole lot. Because of this, you may find AAB students being rejected etc, but its not as simple as saying only those predicted AAA will get in. Edinburgh has a quota for local students, meaning the pressure on those applying from England is enormous- The course may have 100 places, but if you're applying from London, you're perhaps in a pot with the rest of the applicants from most of England looking at less than half of those.

I know (in Scottish qualifications) an AABB student rejected from Glasgow but accepted at Edinburgh, and an AAAAB student who had the opposite- and the same is true for some of those with English qualifications. Apply anyway, and see what happens.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.