Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Labour's fate sealed, or do they have a good chance in the General Election? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do Labour have a chance?
    It would take a miracle. The Conservatives are practically guaranteed to win.
    75.53%
    They are on equal footing. It's a possibility that they could win, it could go either way.
    21.28%
    Labour will definitely win the next General Election.
    3.19%

ReputationRep:
    Vote in regards to what you perceive as a REALISTIC outcome, not what you want to happen.

Discuss your votes!

ReputationRep:
    labour will lose

/thread

ReputationRep:
    Labour are sunk for this election. The only thing that people in the party are now hoping for is not a huge Tory majority, which itself looks likely too.

Sadly the only opportunity that Labour had to win passed when Mr Brown "bottled" it. I believe Labour had a very good chance of winning at the time. However, I do not believe that Labour will ever win again under Gordon Brown, he's sadly a very unpopular PM.

Unless they find Madeline Mcann's body in Camerons freezer the Tories will win the election.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShinyApple)
    Sadly the only opportunity that Labour had to win passed when Mr Brown "bottled" it.
    You mean when he was asked to stand down?

ReputationRep:
    What about the people who hate Labour but consider them the lesser of two evils? Couldn't this factor play a major part in a potential Labour win?

ReputationRep:
    Nah they're gone - unless it turns out Cameron has been paying for rentboys or something massive like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diamond Diva)
    What about the people who hate Labour but consider them the lesser of two evils? Couldn't this factor play a major part in a potential Labour win?
    Lib Dems?

It just isnt going to happen. No way. Tory majority of around 50-100 is probable. A hung parliament is possible but unlikely. A labour win is really unthinkable

ReputationRep:
    Conservatives could win due to Cameron's 'goody goody' speaches which make the listener want to vote 4 the conservatives and want a general election ASAP. However Labour has an upper hand over Conservatives because they are going to increases their public spendings due account for the 3 million jobless people. On the other hand, Conservatives are looking to cut on public spending, let alone increase it.

ReputationRep:
    Vote in regards to what you perceive as a realistic outcome, not what you want to happen.

Discuss your votes!
    Sorry, I read that after voting.

(Original post by wizz_kid)
    Conservatives could win due to Cameron's 'goody goody' speaches which make the listener want to vote 4 the conservatives and want a general election ASAP. However Labour has an upper hand over Conservatives because they are going to increases their public spendings due account for the 3 million jobless people. On the other hand, Conservatives are looking to cut on public spending, let alone increase it.
    Britain has a debt of over 10% of GDP. Higher than Hungary or Pakistan where the IMF have already been called in, and you think that increasing spending is a good idea?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'll certainly be voting for them, so there's a teeny-tiny chance.

Who seriously wants to see David Cameron as PM?

(Original post by nasri-diaby)
    Well, I'll certainly be voting for them, so there's a teeny-tiny chance.

Who seriously wants to see David Cameron as PM?
    Me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    Britain has a debt of over 10% of GDP. Higher than Hungary or Pakistan where the IMF have already been called in, and you think that increasing spending is a good idea?
    I do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    IMF? Srry i'm still a newbie in the world of politics. I just picked this up from the PM's question, 09.

Anyways surely u have to spend on the public sector intially so that the unemployed get employed and drive the economy? Isnt it like spending £100 on a person and he gives back £150 to the government which would allow it to pay off the debt.

ReputationRep:
    It's one hell of a landslide if pulled off...
    By no means sealed yet!

Labour minority anyone? Lib-Lab coalition/cooperation and therefore actual substantial constitutional reform maybe?

(Original post by wizz_kid)
    IMF? Srry i'm still a newbie in the world of politics. I just picked this up from the PM's question, 09.

Anyways surely u have to spend on the public sector intially so that the unemployed get employed and drive the economy? Isnt it like spending £100 on a person and he gives back £150 to the government which would allow it to pay off the debt.
    IMF = International Monetary (or something like that) Fund.

You might be right with long term economic benefits. However...

Basically we are really really shafted with debt at the moment, and we need to make reducing debt now. Our currency is already horribly devalued as other countries see what a state we are in. Id increase taxes temporarily and decrease public spending.

ReputationRep:
    they will lose but i will vote for them. better them than that smarmy **** cameron and sadly a vote for lib dems is pretty much wasted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    labour will lose

/thread
    People who use /thread really tick me off.
    It just strikes me as so arrogant - like no other opinion matters.

/truth

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.