Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Labour's fate sealed, or do they have a good chance in the General Election? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do Labour have a chance?
    It would take a miracle. The Conservatives are practically guaranteed to win.
    75.53%
    They are on equal footing. It's a possibility that they could win, it could go either way.
    21.28%
    Labour will definitely win the next General Election.
    3.19%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizz_kid)
    IMF? Srry i'm still a newbie in the world of politics. I just picked this up from the PM's question, 09.

Anyways surely u have to spend on the public sector intially so that the unemployed get employed and drive the economy? Isnt it like spending £100 on a person and he gives back £150 to the government which would allow it to pay off the debt.
    The figure of 10% of GDP means absolutely nothing. The USA, before this economic crisis, had a far greater % of GDP as debt - yet it was economically stable.

Plus, if the IMF carries on handing out money as it is currently, who the hell is going to bail out the IMF?

ReputationRep:
    I reckon it's 80:20 in the Conservatives favour. I'm not particularly happy about that because I still think the Conservatives are there for the wealthy middle class. I just hope Cameron proves me wrong, and thinking about it they really are the only realistic alternative. Eventhough I agree with alot of what the Lib Dem's stand for, I don't think they're big enough to run the country.

(Original post by pinkpenguin)
    It's one hell of a landslide if pulled off...
    By no means sealed yet!

Labour minority anyone? Lib-Lab coalition/cooperation and therefore actual substantial constitutional reform maybe?
    I can tell you are a LD who wants PR. Its a horrible idea. Just look at the distribution of MEPs for evidence. The only reason the LDs want it is for selfish reasons.

And I Thought the liberals said they werent prepared to enter any coalitions ever?

Besides joining with labour would be a terrible move for your popularity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    IMF = International Monetary (or something like that) Fund.

You might be right with long term economic benefits. However...

Basically we are really really shafted with debt at the moment, and we need to make reducing debt now. Our currency is already horribly devalued as other countries see what a state we are in. Id increase taxes temporarily and decrease public spending.
    Right!

As for increasing the taxes, do u mean for every one or just for the high earners (which is a part of Darling's budget plan)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hec)
    they will lose but i will vote for them. better them than that smarmy **** cameron and sadly a vote for lib dems is pretty much wasted
    Vote for what you want. Stop thinking realistically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    Vote for what you want. Stop thinking realistically.
    well i don't want the tories more than i actively want any other party. so i will do that

ReputationRep:
    Hung Parliament.

Cameron's going to struggle to overcome the fact that people simply don't like the Tories anymore.

If they make it to a Majority, it'll be minimal at least.

ReputationRep:
    Me
    God you backed your argument up well didn't you?

I bet your amazed someone from Oxford is supporting labour!!! :woo:

(Original post by AirRaven)
    Hung Parliament.

Cameron's going to struggle to overcome the fact that people simply don't like the Tories anymore.

If they make it to a Majority, it'll be minimal at least.
    IMO given the recent local election results its pretty hard to agree with your statement.

ReputationRep:
    I can tell you are a LD who wants PR. Its a horrible idea. Just look at the distribution of MEPs for evidence. The only reason the LDs want it is for selfish reasons.

And I Thought the liberals said they werent prepared to enter any coalitions ever?

Besides joining with labour would be a terrible move for your popularity.
    This isn't the thread to be discussing PR, but for the record, it's not a horrible idea at all. And why shouldn't part of the reason the Lib Dems want PR be for selfish reasons? One of the reasons the 2 main parties won't commit to it is because there's a chance they won't win.

Lib-Lab coalition in Scotland? Looks like a working coalition with labour to me. :rolleyes:

But joining with Labour would give the Lib Dems some legislative muscle for a change. Compromise on some issues could be beneficial to the Lib Dem agenda when they would otherwise not make any headway in terms of legislation at all under a majority govt of either kind. Not ideal, but certainly a sniff of power that I would expect Clegg, under certain conditions, to take.

(Original post by nasri-diaby)
    God you backed your argument up well didn't you?

I bet your amazed someone from Oxford is supporting labour!!! :woo:
    Im not very familiar with Oxfords politics. Isnt it lib dem / labour marginals? If so not too suprising

(I live in Newcastle when not at uni and involved with local politics up here )

ReputationRep:
    imo Labours plan (done by the ministers in it for the long run):

Massively increase spending, get into loads of debt. Loose the general election and let the Torys win. Torys won't be able to solve problem. Next general election labour win because of themassive unpopularity measures to solve problem would cause, and back in power. Simples.

Labour would be ****** if they win. imo in Whitehall everyones hoping the Conservatives win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nasri-diaby)
    Well, I'll certainly be voting for them, so there's a teeny-tiny chance.

Who seriously wants to see David Cameron as PM?
    He'll do.

I'd rather see Peter Hitchens as PM though tbh. What a legend. :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    IMO given the recent local election results its pretty hard to agree with your statement.
    Given the fact that most people don't give a crap about politics and actual policies and are simply voting Con simply because they wrongly see the Labour government to have failed to control something which was way beyond its control, and because admittedly Gordon Brown is boring on TV... it's easy to disagree with your statement.

The significant number of people who seem to want Jeremy Clarkson become PM is testament to this.

(Original post by pinkpenguin)
    This isn't the thread to be discussing PR, but for the record, it's not a horrible idea at all. And why shouldn't part of the reason the Lib Dems want PR be for selfish reasons? One of the reasons the 2 main parties won't commit to it is because there's a chance they won't win.

Lib-Lab coalition in Scotland? Looks like a working coalition with labour to me. :rolleyes:

But joining with Labour would give the Lib Dems some legislative muscle for a change. Compromise on some issues could be beneficial to the Lib Dem agenda when they would otherwise not make any headway in terms of legislation at all under a majority govt of either kind. Not ideal, but certainly a sniff of power that I would expect Clegg, under certain conditions, to take.
    I wasnt 100% on the lib dem coalition stuff, hence the question mark, vaguely remember hearing something on the issue. Anyway the bigger question is the wether the lib dems would join with the tories. Its only really realistic that in a hung parliament this would be the only way to get a majority (well other than a labour-tory coalition which isnt going to happen)

I dont like PR because you get a shedload of nutters elected to government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    He'll do.

I'd rather see Peter Hitchens as PM though tbh. What a legend. :teeth:
    So you genuinely think Cameron will deal with the recession than Brown??????:eek:

ReputationRep:
    Cameron doesn't even have to do anything, he can just sit there and twiddle his thumbs and the next election will be won with a decent majority.

ReputationRep:
    I want them to lose.

if they some in third :coma:

(Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    Given the fact that most people don't give a crap about politics and actual policies and are simply voting Con simply because they wrongly see the Labour government to have failed to control something which was way beyond its control, and because admittedly Gordon Brown is boring on TV... it's easy to disagree with your statement.

The significant number of people who seem to want Jeremy Clarkson to become PM is testament to this.
    Jeremy Clarkson who is a conservative :p: .

The tory government are at least relativley popular at least )

ReputationRep:
    I wasnt 100% on the lib dem coalition stuff, hence the question mark, vaguely remember hearing something on the issue. Anyway the bigger question is the wether the lib dems would join with the tories. Its only really realistic that in a hung parliament this would be the only way to get a majority (well other than a labour-tory coalition which isnt going to happen)

I dont like PR because you get a shedload of nutters elected to government.
    :nah: Those 'nutters' don't get elected to government at all. They get elected to the legislature. They get a vote. As they should, given the % of people who voted for them. It's not for us to dictate which viewpoints are valid or not.

Anyways, if we were going for PR, I'd go the whole hog and go for total constitutional reform; Lords being another option.

Why is it only realistic for a Lib-Tory coalition for a majority? There's obviously a chance that a Lab-Lib coalition gives a majority too... :o:

And if the Lib Dems go anywhere near the Tories, I'm voting Labour.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.