Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Labour's fate sealed, or do they have a good chance in the General Election? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do Labour have a chance?
    It would take a miracle. The Conservatives are practically guaranteed to win.
    75.53%
    They are on equal footing. It's a possibility that they could win, it could go either way.
    21.28%
    Labour will definitely win the next General Election.
    3.19%

ReputationRep:
    Labour are history. Finally we will have a party that can attempt to sort out some of the problems the country currently faces. Seriously, all labour have done over the past two months is talk about how much they should get paid (i.e. parliamentary expenses), and argue amongst themselves over who should be in charge. Its a disgrace, they are there to sort the country out- all we have at the moment is a group riddled with internal bickering. And then Brown has the audacity to keep going on about how he is the right leader to take the country forward, and how hes going to sort everything out with increased public spending at the expense of the taxpayer. No doubt giving it all away to the immigrants who keep coming into this country, not spending it on the public at all. Good riddance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Am Jacks...)
    Labour are history. Finally we will have a party that can attempt to sort out some of the problems the country currently faces. Seriously, all labour have done over the past two months is talk about how much they should get paid (i.e. parliamentary expenses), and argue amongst themselves over who should be in charge. Its a disgrace, they are there to sort the country out- all we have at the moment is a group riddled with internal bickering. And then Brown has the audacity to keep going on about how he is the right leader to take the country forward, and how hes going to sort everything out with increased public spending at the expense of the taxpayer. No doubt giving it all away to the immigrants who keep coming into this country, not spending it on the public at all. Good riddance!

:lolwut:

You need to write down the time and date you said this.

For you, my good friend, are going to be sorely disappointed. The Tories are no less sleazy than Labour. They will bicker and fight and spin the truth until the cows come home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    Britain has a debt of over 10% of GDP. Higher than Hungary or Pakistan where the IMF have already been called in, and you think that increasing spending is a good idea?
    That is something all current Labour supporters and fence sitters need to know!

I personally can't wait for the general election and get a Conservative government in. Also hope the Lib Dems gain lots more seats. Labour just haven't proven themselves at all since Brown has been PM and I don't think any of the other MP's would do much of a good job if there was a change in leadership anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Conservatives are going to win. No doubt in my mind about that.
    Everyone seems to hate them on here. THEY HAVENT BEEN IN GOVERNMENT YET. People seem too willing to give Robber Brown umpteen second chances, but give none to Cameron because of some messed up notion that Conservatives are all evil. Im going to vote for them because i am a Conservative, but partially because 12 years of any party in Government will leave them a little stale, and any approach right now is better than the one we have currently.

If the country hasnt sorted itself out by the time i'm 30, im ******* off to Canada, America or Australia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kates:))
    That is something all current Labour supporters and fence sitters need to know!

I personally can't wait for the general election and get a Conservative government in. Also hope the Lib Dems gain lots more seats. Labour just haven't proven themselves at all since Brown has been PM and I don't think any of the other MP's would do much of a good job if there was a change in leadership anyway.
    Seriously, what's wrong with those stats? The USA, before this economic crisis, had a far higher % GDP as debt and despite what people such as Niall Ferguson have said, has a stable economy. We're in an economic crisis which nobody could have forseen. All this rubbish about being able to "prepare" for it better is ludicrous because it was unforeseeable. Now we're in it, buying our way out sounds like a sound idea to me. What would you propose instead? Stop borrowing and raise taxation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    :lolwut:

You need to write down the time and date you said this.

For you, my good friend, are going to be sorely disappointed. The Tories are no less sleazy than Labour. They will bicker and fight and spin the truth until the cows come home.
    Politics today is "sleazy". It's the whole "Us vs Them" mentality that's ****** up.

ReputationRep:
    If Labour ditch Brown and replace him with Alan Johnson, David Miliband or James Purnell then they'll have a chance of beating Cameron or at least reducing his majority so that there is a hung parliament.

If Labour stick with Brown, they'll be sleep-walking into political oblivion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    Politics today is "sleazy". It's the whole "Us vs Them" mentality that's ****** up.
    Of course it's sleazy. That's the point I was making.

I'm fed up of this 'it'll be better on the other side' mentality about Cameron, like he's some kind of Jesus.

He's Blair mk.II, but prepared to go Thatcher on people to keep in with some sectors of his party. He doesn't believe anything at all. Nor does Brown.

It's a shame, Brown's rubbish, but I have no faith in Cameron at all and would probably rather Brown anyways.

I just wish politicians actually believed something, and had some kind of ideological position nowadays. It's all to opportunistic for there to be any real choice.

ReputationRep:

I'm fed up of this 'it'll be better on the other side' mentality about Cameron, like he's some kind of Jesus.

He's Blair mk.II, but prepared to go Thatcher on people to keep in with some sectors of his party. He doesn't believe anything at all. Nor does Brown.

It's a shame, Brown's rubbish, but I have no faith in Cameron at all and would probably rather Brown anyways.

I just wish politicians actually believed something, and had some kind of ideological position nowadays. It's all to opportunistic for there to be any real choice.
    Of course you could go LD, but they'll never realistically win. Most politicians alter what they believe in so frequently just to appease voters that it's simply ridiculous - and I think Cameron more so than Brown. Government is hardly cohesive. The Con may silently, without comment, allow Lab the majority to do something, but when it all goes wrong... they're the first to point fingers.

The alternatives for politics though... will lead to chaos.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, what's wrong with those stats? The USA, before this economic crisis, had a far higher % GDP as debt and despite what people such as Niall Ferguson have said, has a stable economy. We're in an economic crisis which nobody could have forseen. All this rubbish about being able to "prepare" for it better is ludicrous because it was unforeseeable. Now we're in it, buying our way out sounds like a sound idea to me. What would you propose instead? Stop borrowing and raise taxation?
    I just think a lot more needs to be done to reduce the out of control national debt and budget deficit and am therefore in support of the party who propose to cut spending and borrowing in order to balance things up better. I think the past few governments which have allowed the % of GDP as debt to continue to increase and increase have been wholly irresponsible and negligent of their duty to prepare the country for the future and not just do as they see fit for today. All this spending will have to stop one day and if it just keeps going and going the tax burden on the future generations will be crippling. So yes, I'm in favour of doing the utmost to reduce it as soon as possible.

ReputationRep:

The Tories could have had David Davis. We would be so much better with him as leader; he has strong, right principles.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you could go LD, but they'll never realistically win. Most politicians alter what they believe in so frequently just to appease voters that it's simply ridiculous - and I think Cameron more so than Brown. Government is hardly cohesive. The Con may silently, without comment, allow Lab the majority to do something, but when it all goes wrong... they're the first to point fingers.

The alternatives for politics though... will lead to chaos.
    I'm a Lib Dem voter and member! It's all in the hope that there is some kind of hung parliament, giving us some clout.

This is why I wish I lived in America. Liberalism has more power, despite it obviously being watered down to win elections. This country has no time for it due to history - the LD have not concentrated support due to the working/upper class connection lab/con appeal to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richiboi)
    The Tories could have had David Davis. We would be so much better with him as leader; he has strong, right principles.
    Yeah but he offends half of his party and doesn't appeal to the centre ground. And I deplore his position. :p:

But it is refreshing to see someone with some sort of ideology. So I'd probably prefer him to be the leader, then I'd respect the Tories a little more.

I hate Thatcher's opinions, but at least she believed in something! Where are the likes of Maggie and Tony Benn and Ralph Milliband nowadays?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but he offends half of his party and doesn't appeal to the centre ground. And I deplore his position. :p:

But it is refreshing to see someone with some sort of ideology. So I'd probably prefer him to be the leader, then I'd respect the Tories a little more.

I hate Thatcher's opinions, but at least she believed in something! Where are the likes of Maggie and Tony Benn and Ralph Milliband nowadays?
    Fair play, if he doesnt appeal to your ideology then who am i to change that otherwise?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Of course i can. You'll learn. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    Me
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Given the fact that most people don't give a crap about politics and actual policies and are simply voting Con simply because they wrongly see the Labour government to have failed to control something which was way beyond its control, and because admittedly Gordon Brown is boring on TV... it's easy to disagree with your statement.

The significant number of people who seem to want Jeremy Clarkson become PM is testament to this.
    This is naive at best and woefully inaccurate at worst.

Whilst it is true that no government could have completely nullifies the effects of a world recession, the Labour Party's decision to run up more and more debt during the boom years has certainly made the effects worse than they would have been. However, it is disingeneous to say that this, combined with Gordon Browns lack of charisma, explains the swing to the COnservative Party. There is a wide scale lack of trust in Labour - a lack of trust rooted both in the Iraq war (and the subsequent evidence that the leadership lied to the House of Commons) and the backtracking on the EU referendum we were promised. In addition to this, the upheaval within the party gives a clear indication that the Labour Party is a party in crisis.

ReputationRep:
    I voted both realistically and for what I want

*Option 1*

ReputationRep:
    I wish that labour did have a better chance however i doubt they will win. As for David Cameron i just dont trust the guy. Doesnt look good from where im standing

ReputationRep:
    The depth of the crisis may have been difficult to predict, but the Government were aware of the Northern Rock problems over a year in advance and could have acted then! It was also logical that indefinate growth wasn't going to happen...why was this not planned for? There would undoubtedly have still been problems, but some of them could have been avoided or at least mitigated.

ReputationRep:
    The governing parties remind me of the Scottish Premier League. People look forward and celebrate when the other ugly sister has won. In the end it's always those two.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.