Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does a relationship needs sexual intamacy to be strong and last long? Watch

How do those in long distance relationships feel about this? Calling and texting every day might be nice but it still cant beat the feeling of being that close with your partner. Do relationships start to go stale when this element starts to stop?

ReputationRep:
    No, I think some people wouldn't want to have sex with anyone else...

Just make it up as you can.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    no to the title yes to the OP

ReputationRep:
    I'm very uncomfortable with sexual intimacy. It all just makes me awkward when it happens so I generally seek out the more mind based relationships than physical. But I think I was severely warped as a child so don't take notice of my opinion!

ReputationRep:
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    Well there are still people who wait until marriage to have sex, so I guess
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I don't know, it makes it more special (for me anyway) when I finally see my other half. It's worth waiting for If it's not then... I guess your relationship is stale haha. But sexual intimacy is a part of a relationship. "Connecting" with your partner, both mentally and physically :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    To put it simply, yes.

ReputationRep:
    Most definitely. Long distance sucks.

Sigh. A relationship needs whatever the participants (usually just 2 of them) need - it's not a rigid checklist. It just so happens that humans in general are ravenous sex-crazed knife-wielding maniacs...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glutamic Acid)
    Sigh. A relationship needs whatever the participants (usually just 2 of them) need - it's not a rigid checklist. It just so happens that humans in general are ravenous sex-crazed knife-wielding maniacs...
    I wouldn't be happy if knives were brought into the bedroom :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on whether it's a heterosexual or a homosexual relationship. Heterosexual relationships, in my experience, have had more of an emphasis on sexual intimacy and physical closeness, whereas same-sex relationships, to me at least, seem to have been more about emotional closeness.

It's not what you asked, but I don't think it's possible to give a straight yes or no answer to that question.

ReputationRep:
    Since there are people out there in perfectly strong and long lasting relationships and who don't have sex, obviously no.

(If the people saying yes can't cut it, then that is very tragic. But it's not necessary for all people, no.)

ReputationRep:
    yes.
    I've learned from past mistakes that people who say sex isn't important within a relationship are either full of crap or happen to have very low sex drives.
    My last relationship ended 3 times due to a lack of sexual compatibility.
    It IS important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apfel)
    Since there are people out there in perfectly strong and long lasting relationships and who don't have sex, obviously no.

(If the people saying yes can't cut it, then that is very tragic. But it's not necessary for all people, no.)
    I really don't see the point in having a romantic relationship for any length of time without sex. Maybe not before marriage (I accept that view) but forever? You might as well be friends.

Sex to be fair is the only reason people started pairing up. To reproduce.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AprilMay88)
    I really don't see the point in having a romantic relationship for any length of time without sex. Maybe not before marriage (I accept that view) but forever? You might as well be friends.

Sex to be fair is the only reason people started pairing up. To reproduce.
    Well..that's you personally. :p: I got the impression that OP was asking generally, as in...will your relationship be epic fail without sex? And in some peoples' cases, no, it won't, because that's not what they seek in a relationship.

(Personally though...there's a big difference to me between being friends and being romantic with someone..)

ReputationRep:
    True, true. But having witnessed the sex go out of alot of close friends relationships it often does have a very serious effect on the long-term aspect of things.
    It's more a case of feeling desired than the sex really.

Hopefully not, 'cos I'm not giving my boyf any. :fyi:

bump

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.