Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right i've been looking to get a first car for quite a while now, but insurance seems to puzzle me.

I've tried getting quotes online and just thought WTF when I found that Third party, fire and theft / third party costs a couple hundred quid more than fully comp (I've tried this with a few cars). Why?

Also, many people have said that adding an older driver (i.e. my dad) on your insurance will lower the price, but guess what? It costs more. (Although I'm not surprised by that at all)

And finally, how the hell are you people getting £1800 (or even lower) insurance quotes? I've read on a few other threads here on TSR that someone paid something like £1700 for a 2002 vauxhall corsa sxi... =/ The cheapest I've found so far is £2500 and that's a 1999 vauxhall corsa with me as the main driver. For peugeot 206s the cheapest so far is £2700. Arghhh

Enlighten me, TSR. Which is the cheapest car to insure nowadays - bar classics, and how do you bring down that insurance quote?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It is sometimes possible for fully comp to be cheaper than third party because some people, especially younger drivers, opt just to take out 3rd party insurance on their cars – inevitably these people then have more accidents, the insurer clicks on and realises that it is paying out more and so they raise their premiums for this group of drivers, sometimes to rates higher than fully comp. In theory then, you should get a Citroen Saxo and you'll probably get comprehensive cover for less than third party.

The other way of reducing your insurance is to have one of your parents listed as the policy holder and you as a named driver. Direct Line offers insurance whereby both parties can have their own separate NCB and so any accident you may have won't impact upon the policy holder. Otherwise you're pretty much in the same boat as everyone else; your first years insurance is usually considerably higher than the second and third (providing you have made no claim) and the Pass Plus course is a good way of reducing the cost.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation in terms of looking for a car but i agree with what most say that adding and older driver lowers it and that fully comp is slightly more expensive, but i wouldn't do what the other poster suggested about having your parent as a policy holder and you as a named driver as insurance companies have clocked this and won't pay out any more. I don't know where you're looking online but perhaps try compare the market i seem to get the best quotes from there - Quinns seem to be the best provider for young drivers whatever the car though. The cheapest quote i've got from cars i've looked at is 1500 on a 1.4 56 reg astra so i don't see how a 2002 corsa could be more?

ReputationRep:
    i must be doing something wrong...ive done tried loads of cars and cant get a quote cheeper then £6000!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Andylol)
    Right i've been looking to get a first car for quite a while now, but insurance seems to puzzle me.

I've tried getting quotes online and just thought WTF when I found that Third party, fire and theft / third party costs a couple hundred quid more than fully comp (I've tried this with a few cars). Why?

Also, many people have said that adding an older driver (i.e. my dad) on your insurance will lower the price, but guess what? It costs more. (Although I'm not surprised by that at all)

And finally, how the hell are you people getting £1800 (or even lower) insurance quotes? I've read on a few other threads here on TSR that someone paid something like £1700 for a 2002 vauxhall corsa sxi... =/ The cheapest I've found so far is £2500 and that's a 1999 vauxhall corsa with me as the main driver. For peugeot 206s the cheapest so far is £2700. Arghhh

Enlighten me, TSR. Which is the cheapest car to insure nowadays - bar classics, and how do you bring down that insurance quote?
    For insurance i've always used Admiral... they have a 10 month no claims bonus accelerator too (although i think now a lot of other insurers are doing the same)...

ReputationRep:
    Fully comp is cheaper than TPFT because of the excess - it's higher on comp policies, especially if you increase it voluntarily.

ReputationRep:
    im 19, got a vauxhall corsa 2001 1.0L
    fully comp on my own insurance is 650 pounds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaredleo999)
    im 19, got a vauxhall corsa 2001 1.0L
    fully comp on my own insurance is 650 pounds
    how???
    are you a named driver? who with?

ReputationRep:
    Quinn £380 for my 1.2 clio. although that's after 2 years, i think it started out at £480. and i am the fairer sex. and i just drive better in general.

ReputationRep:
    1st car was a 1999 corsa and i was paying £1600 1st year as named driver with direct line, the renewal for that for the 2nd year was £950 but i bought a A3, which the insurance has gone back up to £1800, which is still very good!

ReputationRep:
    No I don't intend on fronting, my dad has his own car and will not drive my crappy little car lol.

I've tried various comparison websites (compare the market, money supermarket, etc) for old and new corsas, the cheapest i've found on those websites is £3000. That is just ridiculous. So I've been going on insurer's websites and get quotes from them directly which meant it was slightly cheaper. I just don't get how some people get it for so cheap without fronting (or so they say).

*sigh*

ReputationRep:
    Quinn direct is what i went with as well, was around £1600 back when i was 18 for a 1.1 saxo, have a look at Endsleigh too they can be pretty 'cheap'.

ReputationRep:
    Why rule out classics? I got quoted £580 TPFT for a Triumph Spitfire aged 17 on my own policy. If you want something more practical, maybe try a Triumph Dolomite, Herald, a Ford Cortina, Vauxhall Viva...I could go on...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benjybh)
    Why rule out classics? I got quoted £580 TPFT for a Triumph Spitfire aged 17 on my own policy. If you want something more practical, maybe try a Triumph Dolomite, Herald, a Ford Cortina, Vauxhall Viva...I could go on...
    Classics aren't for everyone, and I assume the OP in saying that is simply probably isnt after an older car.. As much as I think of them and like em, god knows I probably wouldn't have most of them near the top of my list of cars I'd consider..

I complained tons when getting insured first time, but I'm glad my premiums are low now; seems that new drivers have it rougher than a few years ago, either that or slough is a significantly better place to live car stats wise (which, considering it was officially the worse town to drive one year not so long ago, is hard to imagine:laugh:)

To answer your question, you need to be looking at insurance group one cars, (I think there's a toyota Aygo, and a Citroen C2 in this category) and a parent or two to drive on the policy as named drivers to drag it down slightly. other than that, limiting your miles, opting for higher excesses, and going for a multicar policy if you're with admiral and your parents need to renew their insurance at the same time..

Cheapest insurers I found in my 'yoof' (lol as if 21's actually old..) were liverpool victoria, trading as Frizzell, and Quinn by a huge amount

here's a link to a list of Insurance Group 1 Cars (cheapest to insure)
    http://www.carpages.co.uk/car-insura...-group-1-1.asp

ReputationRep:
    My quote was just shy of £1500 and that was fully comp, my own policy, no mum/dad on it, with 0 years NCB and 0 years holding the licence.
    And I'm male.

To be honest, those comparison sites are rubbish, the cheapest was about £2,300 ish with confused.com and comparethemarket.com

But I went straight to Direct Line. (I did get a discount because my mum has a policy with them, and I've done Pass Plus, so the quote actually was £1800, then went down to £1483)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.