Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who likes trains round here? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Spending 2 hours on them each weekday and haemorraging £400 per month has given me a new interest in them that I never had - but not in a trainspotting way. More of a "Can't we do better than this?" way.

So...

Do you use trains?
    What do you think of the ones you use?
    What would make you use them more if you'd like to but can't?
    Are there old abandoned lines in your area that you'd like to see reopened to enable you to get from A to B? (The proposed Cambridge-Oxford line could mean a link to the designer outlet at Bicester - )

http://www.railfuture.org.uk/tiki-pa...ame=RailFuture may give you some ideas.

P.S. - This thread ain't about train spotting.

ReputationRep:
    Damn I just got my mac, cucumber sandwiches and clipboard ready.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image..._anorak203.jpg

ReputationRep:
    Choooo Choooo

I do like trains

Amazing things they are

I LOVE THE NEW VIRGIN TRAINS

5 million buttons to use the bathroom... ahhhhhh

ReputationRep:
    Previously working in rail industry and using trains all the time, I know that trains are slow and rarely on-time and largely over-priced for what they offer!

ReputationRep:
    i love trains :love:

ReputationRep:
    Thomas the tank engine anybody... yesss...nooo...dust.

ReputationRep:
    I spend a lot of time on 7 hour direct train rides from Kings Cross to Leuchars (St Andrews). The trains are pretty good although I did get one 70's retro brown stripey one once.

The conductors are always pretty friendly-untill they've had to stop the train three times to investigate chavs smoking in the toilets...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/stations/index.shtml was something someone posted on a similar thread I posted on another website - what happened to all those hundreds of stations that were left to the elements.

ReputationRep:
    I just cant get enough

ReputationRep:
    They're ok when they're working and on-time.

Trainspotters are creepy - I remember when national express took over the trains loads of them came to the train station by my old school to take photos of a train with a new paint job lol. I thought they were trying to take photos of children

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rhyus)
    Spending 2 hours on them each weekday and haemorraging £400 per month has given me a new interest in them that I never had - but not in a trainspotting way. More of a "Can't we do better than this?" way.

So...

Do you use trains?
    What do you think of the ones you use?
    What would make you use them more if you'd like to but can't?
    Are there old abandoned lines in your area that you'd like to see reopened to enable you to get from A to B? (The proposed Cambridge-Oxford line could mean a link to the designer outlet at Bicester - )

http://www.railfuture.org.uk/tiki-pa...ame=RailFuture may give you some ideas.

P.S. - This thread ain't about train spotting.
    Have you gotten to the point wehre you're thinknig of wacky alternatives to trains? I've thought, why not just have a really fast moving conveyor belt. Of course in reality this doesn't work.

ReputationRep:
    I think BlueNoxid likes taking pictures of trains??

ReputationRep:
    I live right next to the Great Central, so yeah, kinda got to like trains a little.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! Something so elegantly sexy about them, the way they slide so swiftly along the tracks, which are also very sexy mind. I also get a sudden burst of (almost sexual) pleasure when tracks meet, and the noise the wheels make when they pass over the track junctions I don't go as far as trainspotting though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airel)
    Have you gotten to the point wehre you're thinknig of wacky alternatives to trains? I've thought, why not just have a really fast moving conveyor belt. Of course in reality this doesn't work.
    Might work on Oxford Street...

ReputationRep:
    Ooh...someone on a separate board posted:
    http://www.systemed.plus.com/New_Adl...lway_Atlas.pdf

Is there a station near you that someone closed?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.