Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Degree from ex poly Masters from Red Brick Watch

ReputationRep:
    xx

ReputationRep:
    As long as you get a good degree, it doesn't really matter. Nottingham trent is probably the best ex poly uni at the moment, so even if you dont go to a red brick after you graduate if you get a good grade you will have as much chance as everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you get a 2:1 then you can get into pretty much most graduate schemes

It really doesn't matter as much as you think it does for a lot of graduate jobs, especially in the public sector. I have a friend who graduated with a first from Cambridge who got onto the civil service fast stream where he is working along side another fast streamer with a 2:1 from Liverpool John Moores. There are some employers who discriminate but for a lot of others they just want graduates with a respectable degree and some soft skills.

ReputationRep:
    + Nottingham trent is ranked quite high for economics (37 i think) it is even ranked higher than some red brick unis, i do economics at hull uni, which isnt an ex poly but it is only a few places above Nottingham trent
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If you're interested in studying economics, then my only concern would be the lack of quantitative modules available at Nottingham Trent to provide a firm foundation for a MSc somewhere better.

As others have said, there are plenty of jobs that don't discriminate on the basis of university.

ReputationRep:
    What do you want to go into OP? Because some of the advice here is completely incorrect for certain places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King4eva)
    As long as you get a good degree, it doesn't really matter. Nottingham trent is probably the best ex poly uni at the moment, so even if you dont go to a red brick after you graduate if you get a good grade you will have as much chance as everyone else.
    Agreed
    (its not a biased opinion)
    Everyone makes Trent out to be a **** uni. But it was ranked the best post 1992 university in the UK. Some of its courses rate higher than some 'real' universities.
    And like other people said, as long as you get a 2:1, it doesnt really matter.

ReputationRep:
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    Well I'd like to go into finance or banking. For a short while I was thinking about investment banking but then I realised that there is far too much discrimination in that area and I wouldn't stand a chance against more highly ranked University graduates even if I got a first.
    If you got an internship or two you would be on a level playing ground with other graduates from presitigous universities...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    If you got an internship or two you would be on a level playing ground with other graduates from presitigous universities...
    Yeah but how is he going to get an internship coming from nottingham trent. It's like 200 apps per place as it is and most are filled by the very top universities. You make it sound so simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    Yeah but how is he going to get an internship coming from nottingham trent. It's like 200 apps per place as it is and most are filled by the very top universities. You make it sound so simple.
    I never aid he has to get an intership at an investment bank. He could try the big accounting firms as well, which is what I did and got lucky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    I never aid he has to get an intership at an investment bank. He could try the big accounting firms as well, which is what I did and got lucky.
    which one :holmes:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well I'd like to go into finance or banking. For a short while I was thinking about investment banking but then I realised that there is far too much discrimination in that area and I wouldn't stand a chance against more highly ranked University graduates even if I got a first.
    If you've ruled out investment banking, and also consultancy at top firms, then really your biggest concern would be your suitability for MSc courses at top universities. While NTU is an up-and-coming former polytechnic, the course still isn't very quantitative.

As for employment with your degree from NTU, depending on you as a candidate, things are possible at places like the Big 4 and the Civil Service; though these may not be what you're looking for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    If you've ruled out investment banking, and also consultancy at top firms, then really your biggest concern would be your suitability for MSc courses at top universities. While NTU is an up-and-coming former polytechnic, the course still isn't very quantitative.

As for employment with your degree from NTU, depending on you as a candidate, things are possible at places like the Big 4 and the Civil Service; though these may not be what you're looking for.
    Tbh I'm quite clueless on Civil Service and the Big 4 so could you elaborate please. Yes I know the lack of quantitative modules will affect me as mathematics skills can count for a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    which one :holmes:
    a large mid tier accounting firm
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by 8 is enough)
    Please don't listen to this guy, he knows nothing.

Seriously, when will stupid 15 year olds with no idea about anything stop posting on this forum?
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry, but really, you know absolutely nothing. The sad thing is, you're failing quite miserably at being a troll (and you can't deny you are one - it's quite clear from your post history). A decent troll is at least funny, you're just boring really.

Have a look at the Government Economic Service - they are the largest employer of economists in the country and don't discriminate on uni (though you would need a 2:1 or better). They do student placements as well which are useful for sussing out if that sort of work might interest you.

ReputationRep:
    xx
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Tbh I'm quite clueless on Civil Service and the Big 4 so could you elaborate please. Yes I know the lack of quantitative modules will affect me as mathematics skills can count for a lot.
    The Big 4
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Four_auditors
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PricewaterhouseCoopers
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deloitte_Touche_Tohmatsu
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_%26_Young
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KPMG

Civil Service
    http://www.civilservice.gov.uk/jobs/...eam/index.aspx
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governm...onomic_Service
    http://www.ges.gov.uk/

Those links should provide you with plenty of reading on the topic of the Civil Service/GES and the Big 4.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.