Turn on thread page Beta

Calling a Friend Abroad watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I need some help here.

My friend has gone to India for a holiday and I really want to call her, but if I do, then she will be charged. What can I do?

ReputationRep:
    Email her, or don't call.

ReputationRep:
    But I want to call,. Say she gets a SIM from there, can I just get one of those calling cards? Or will that charge her for the cost of the call too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittennffc)
    Email her, or don't call.

^ this.

utter genius!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by site)
    But I want to call,. Say she gets a SIM from there, can I just get one of those calling cards? Or will that charge her for the cost of the call too?
    How long has she gone away for? Can it really not wait?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittennffc)
    How long has she gone away for? Can it really not wait?
    4 weeks. No. I miss her too much. My best friend for years.

ReputationRep:
    If she gets an Indian sim card it will certainly be cheaper yes, as she will not be charged any fees by her provider in the UK to take the call. I'm not sure how much it will cost you - when my mum has called me on my foreign mobiles (I've now had 3 non UK sim cards from different countries) it generally costs her around 5p a minute from our landline phone. I've just looked at skype, and thats 5p a minute to call an Indian mobile phone. Or... can your friend get onto a computer, use skype and then you can call eachother for free?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    If she gets an Indian sim card it will certainly be cheaper yes, as she will not be charged any fees by her provider in the UK to take the call. I'm not sure how much it will cost you - when my mum has called me on my foreign mobiles (I've now had 3 non UK sim cards from different countries) it generally costs her around 5p a minute from our landline phone. I've just looked at skype, and thats 5p a minute to call an Indian mobile phone. Or... can your friend get onto a computer, use skype and then you can call eachother for free?
    No computer, it's one of those places where they just go see family. Thank you for your help. I have seen market stalls where they sell phone cards, the scratch ones, just have to wait till she gets the SIM now I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by site)
    No computer, it's one of those places where they just go see family. Thank you for your help. I have seen market stalls where they sell phone cards, the scratch ones, just have to wait till she gets the SIM now I guess.
    I would certainly look at using skype instead of a call card, it will be so much cheaper for you to do so. You can add £10 worth of credit and that will do you for ages at 5p a minute, you generally get a good connection too. Unless you know what you're doing, the phone cards can be a nightmare to work out which is the best deal - as a rule you want one with no connection fee, no minimum call charge, billed by the second and with the lowest possible cost per minute you can get. Usually the ones with the cheapest minutes add various extras on meaning they're more expensive than others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by site)
    Hello,

I need some help here.

My friend has gone to India for a holiday and I really want to call her, but if I do, then she will be charged. What can I do?
    http://www.astonishinglycheap.co.uk

she won't be charged a penny :-)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I've got an Orange SIM, if I call the India SIM card, will it charge for calling 0844 numbers?

ReputationRep:
    You'll need to make the call from a landline or the costs may be higher. But she won't get charged at all when she receives a call from he indian sim. Just make sure you use the correct dialling code etc and it should work fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by site)
    Thanks, I've got an Orange SIM, if I call the India SIM card, will it charge for calling 0844 numbers?
    I looked at the site given, and it's 4p a minute from a BT landline (2p a minute connection charge from BT, plus 2p a minute from the 0844 provider) any other phone opperators/mobile phones may cost more, sometimes significantly more.

ReputationRep:
    If you both have internet access, get Skype. Works a treat. I phoned a person in the US a couple weeks ago and it was all free.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone. Can't use Skype as no internet access except for limited time. But I'll look into getting a calling card and will call from the house phone. Ah. These days are hard. : (

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by site)
    Thanks everyone. Can't use Skype as no internet access except for limited time. But I'll look into getting a calling card and will call from the house phone. Ah. These days are hard. : (
    Try that website from your landline... if you don't get a connection you've only lost 4p! There is no way that she can be charged, which is good. At least if you try the website first you don't waste £10+ on a calling card you don't need...

ReputationRep:
    If she gets an Indian sim it'll cost her nothing.. but you quite a bit..

But to get a sim in India she needs to have a photocopy of her passport and visa, a referee or two, and a passport photo or two... are you sure you can't just use email?

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.