Turn on thread page Beta

20 Ways to Make Britain Great Again. watch

ReputationRep:
    “Greatness in individuals is rare; in countries it is almost unique. And Great Britain was great. It used to be said that ‘The sun never sets on the British empire.’ That is how vast Britain’s influence was. And that influence, on balance, was far more positive than negative.”

In the light of all the threads about countries/things better than the UK/Britain today, I started reading some articles and made a list. Here is my unfinished list, you can add to it if you want, or say whether you agree or disagree with my points.

1. Encourage Invention and Entrepreneurialism.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The British have been an incredibly inventive people over the centuries so how about encouraging individuals to invent and to start companies just at this moment when there are 2 or 3 million unemployed twiddling their fingers? Imagine what could be invented in the proverbial garden shed by people with ideas and time on their hands.
    I suggest that the Government allow anyone who sets up a company one year free of tax to help the unemployment situation along.
    Yes, this would mean that the government would forgo a bit of tax, but they wouldn't be paying unemployment benefit -- win some, lose some. It would mean that an inventor would be very careful before setting up a business as he could only do it once, tax free.
    2. Take the lead and Legalize drugs.

There are many good arguments for this on the internet, here is a decent one:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=772493

3. Make criminals fear the law (and get rid of ASBOs for god’s sake).

4. Embrace positive aspects of British history.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    1. “The British colonies learned about individual rights, parliamentary government, civil service and courts of justice, to name of few of the benefits that the British brought with them. Were it not for British involvement, India might still have sati (burning wives on the funeral pyre of their husband), would have no unifying language, and probably no parliamentary democracy or other institutions and values that have made that country a democratic giant, now on its way to becoming an economic one as well.”

2. A self-important college freshman walking along the beach took it upon himself to explain to a senior citizen resting on the steps why it was impossible for the older generation to understand his generation. "You grew up in a different world, actually an almost primitive one" the student said loud enough for others to hear. "The young people of today grew up with television, jet engines, space travel, man walking on the moon. We have nuclear energy, ships and cell phones, computers with light speed ... and many more."

After a brief silence, the senior citizen responded as follows.

"You're right son. We didn't have those things when we were young ... so we invented them. Now, you aggrogant little sh*t what are you doing for the next generation?"

5. Get rid of Gordon Brown and elect a Prime-Minister with balls, who can show some dignity and pride in his day-to-day life and handle the media correctly.

6. Most people won’t agree with this, but I don’t care. Ban Red Top tabloids, reality TV and celebrity magazines.

7. Condemn the behaviour of Brits abroad. Disgrace it in the media by making an example of those who do not represent the country well.

8. Strict, over-the-top punishments for anyone caught selling alcohol, cigarettes or knives to those without ID.

9. Develop a set of values of how a British man and British woman should behave by, regardless of race, sexual orientation, financial background or other discriminating factors. Make these known to everyone from a young age, through schools, pubic campaigns etc.

10. Use the media to make the public more aware of positive actions by good people, to help create more positive role models.

11. Compulsory environmental or charity projects for young people in schools.

12. Scrap EMA and replace it with a voucher/receipt system (I'm on £30 a week + massive bonuses, I only really need £10 max without bonuses, and if I want to treat myself I should use my own money). If people need it for transport give them a special oyster card. If they need it for lunch, don't we have a dinner ticket system in place? Make young people work for money.

13. Be more conservative with taxpayer's money, and in turn tax the rich less. It just annoys me how much money we throw around, especially when some people are being taxed 40% of their salary over a certain amount.

14. Allow parents to take photographs of school plays and sport's days. Or videos of their children's football matches. Not doing so creates an atmosphere of mistrust.

15. We should elect our public services representatives locally. Britain is too heavily populated to manage centrally, so things need to be micro-managed. If the head of the police is no good at their job then you should be able to vote for a new one. This would increase the power of the people to tackle unsatisfactory services and would mean that jobs are done with the welfare of the community in mind rather than central government targets. It would certainly make councils sit up and do their jobs properly.

ReputationRep:
    All fairly decent policies I'd vote for you.

ReputationRep:
    why ban reality tv or tabloids? It doesn't make you any less thick if you say you don't read tabloid's..get over yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Ravi_)
    “Greatness in individuals is rare; in countries it is almost unique. And Great Britain was great. It used to be said that ‘The sun never sets on the British empire.’ That is how vast Britain’s influence was. And that influence, on balance, was far more positive than negative.”

In the light of all the threads about countries/things better than the UK/Britain today, I started reading some articles and made a list. Here is my unfinished list, you can add to it if you want, or say whether you agree or disagree with my points.

Spoiler:
    Show
    The British have been an incredibly inventive people over the centuries so how about encouraging individuals to invent and to start companies just at this moment when there are 2 or 3 million unemployed twiddling their fingers? Imagine what could be invented in the proverbial garden shed by people with ideas and time on their hands.
    I suggest that the Government allow anyone who sets up a company one year free of tax to help the unemployment situation along.
    Yes, this would mean that the government would forgo a bit of tax, but they wouldn't be paying unemployment benefit -- win some, lose some. It would mean that an inventor would be very careful before setting up a business as he could only do it once, tax free.

Spoiler:
    Show
    1. “The British colonies learned about individual rights, parliamentary government, civil service and courts of justice, to name of few of the benefits that the British brought with them. Were it not for British involvement, India might still have sati (burning wives on the funeral pyre of their husband), would have no unifying language, and probably no parliamentary democracy or other institutions and values that have made that country a democratic giant, now on its way to becoming an economic one as well.”

2. A self-important college freshman walking along the beach took it upon himself to explain to a senior citizen resting on the steps why it was impossible for the older generation to understand his generation. "You grew up in a different world, actually an almost primitive one" the student said loud enough for others to hear. "The young people of today grew up with television, jet engines, space travel, man walking on the moon. We have nuclear energy, ships and cell phones, computers with light speed ... and many more."

"You're right son. We didn't have those things when we were young ... so we invented them. Now, you aggrogant little sh*t what are you doing for the next generation?"

5. Get rid of Gordon Brown and elect a Prime-Minister with balls, who can show some dignity and pride in his day-to-day life and handle the media correctly.

6. Most people won’t agree with this, but I don’t care. Ban Red Top tabloids, reality TV and celebrity magazines.

7. Condemn the behaviour of Brits abroad. Disgrace it in the media by making an example of those who do not represent the country well.

8. Strict, over-the-top punishments for anyone caught selling alcohol, cigarettes or knives to those without ID.

9. Develop a set of values of how a British man and British woman should behave by, regardless of race, sexual orientation, financial background or other discriminating factors. Make these known to everyone from a young age, through schools, pubic campaigns etc.

10. Use the media to make the public more aware of positive actions by good people, to help create more positive role models.

12. Scrap EMA and replace it with a voucher/receipt system (I'm on £30 a week + massive bonuses, I only really need £10 max without bonuses, and if I want to treat myself I should use my own money). If people need it for transport give them a special oyster card. If they need it for lunch, don't we have a dinner ticket system in place? Make young people work for money.

13. Be more conservative with taxpayer's money, and in turn tax the rich less. It just annoys me how much money we throw around, especially when some people are being taxed 40% of their salary over a certain amount.

14. Allow parents to take photographs of school plays and sport's days. Or videos of their children's football matches. Not doing so creates an atmosphere of mistrust.

etc. if someone says something good I might paste it.
    Get you out of this country would be my number 15. Make Britain great!

ReputationRep:
    Very good policies.

ReputationRep:
    So basically we are making a concept of a Nation objectively great by forcing everyone to hold the same opinion as you? Far too much brainwashing and authoritarianism in there for me.

ReputationRep:
    I opened this thread thinking "oh dear, this stuff again", but I agree with the guy above: I'd vote for you, if you could effectively put these into practice. ]

7 to 11 were the best ones, IMO.

ReputationRep:
    You stopped at 15. You're missing five. Maybe 16 should be "Teach children to count".

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

Spoiler:
    Show

15. We should elect our public services representatives locally. Britain is too heavily populated to manage centrally, so things need to be micro-managed. If the head of the police is no good at their job then you should be able to vote for a new one. This would increase the power of the people to tackle unsatisfactory services and would mean that jobs are done with the welfare of the community in mind rather than central government targets. It would certainly make councils sit up and do their jobs properly.
    all. of. this. ^

and more...

- some form of national service... doesn't have to be military... look at germany were you can do civil or military service. this period invests people in their society and teaches them that with democratic rights come social responsibilities

- cut waste

- cut taxes

- let's have a british FCRA ... i want to see my credit report for free!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smalltownboy)
    So basically we are making a concept of a Nation objectively great by forcing everyone to hold the same opinion as you? Far too much brainwashing and authoritarianism in there for me.
    I don't see that at all. Its not irrational, for example, for everyone to accept that racism is wrong, and anybody that is racist be punished for it. The only ones about that I see that force anybody is 5, 6, 14 (which just makes ******* sense). The others are no different, IMO, to regular political policies.

ReputationRep:
    wow good stuff, i'd vote for you.

not sure about the drugs one but i didn't read it.

go into politics!!! before out country slides even further

ReputationRep:
    :borat: to some extent.

:borat:

:nope: Harsh sentencing =/= a deterrent.
    But I agree about asbos

:nope: Colonies = Imperialism. End of. It was tyrannical of us. It was rugged chauvanism.

5. Get rid of Gordon Brown and elect a Prime-Minister with balls,
    :facepalm2: You don't elect the PM. If you have an issue with Brown, join the Labour party or vote for someone else next time.

:nope: As much as I hate them, banning them gives them publicity and creates a vacuum for more extreme viewpoints to be taken. And feedom of speech?

:borat: Sure, why not. So long as it serves as a good example rather than just alienating the youth.

:nope: Sentencing must be proportional across the board. But yeah, underage purchase of such items should be monitored more closely.

:nope: Pluralistic society. Gonna be different values, gotta get over it if you want a democracy. By all means reinforce positive role-models, but what you're suggesting is indoctrination.

:borat: Better.

:nope: Don't like compulsory. Encouraging schools to partake in such activities is great though.

:dontknow: Not really thought about this point. But I do think EMA is unfair to some.

:nope: Sorry. I'm a progressive tax advocate. Won't be able to change that. :p:

Just my two cents.

May I ask what you mean by 'great'? As in a world leader? Because, lets be honest, it's not going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely vote for you over Gordon Brown or any politicitions I know of.

ReputationRep:
    Britain's greatness was only ever really down to serious exploitation and dominance over huge portions of the world. Its deterioration can be pinned to a huge variety of reasons, with human rights playing a big part. I guess it's left a rather sour taste considering we were once THE super power controlling a quarter of the world now reduced to our relatively tiny and over populated set of islands.

Having said that I do agree with the vast majority of the points, particularly the drugs legislation, unfortunately it's one of the suggestions least likely to happen.

The point on tabloids seems a bit out of place though? If you want to give people the option on what substances they but into their own body surely you wouldn't withdraw the right to read what they want, no matter how mind numbing it is.

ReputationRep:
    I would vote for you. Yes to everything. Liberal attitudes have led to a society where just about everything is acceptable to someone... for example, what place would a traditional British "gentleman" have in today's Britain? Think about an 18 year old in 1930, compare that to a modern 18 year old. I'm not convinced today's version shows progress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    :nope: Sorry. I'm a progressive tax advocate. Won't be able to change that. :p:

Just my two cents.

May I ask what you mean by 'great'? As in a world leader? Because, lets be honest, it's not going to happen.
    I'm still for progressive tax, but I think 40% over 50k or something is a bit steep.

When I typed 'Great' it was supposed to be a semi-play on words, as we call it 'Great' Britain.

In hindsight, I agree with most of your comments, but I'm just a prospective maths student so I'm a bit naive in terms of politics.

ReputationRep:
    [I]“
    This is the only thing I don't agree with. I hate the celebrity culture more than you could possibly imagine but people love it and banning away would be a form of banning freedom of speech.

Everything else I wholeheartedly agree with. I would totally vote for you and support any policies like this.

ReputationRep:
    Good policies. However I disagree with legalizing drugs. I've seen far too many bad consequences of them to count. Yes many people know where to draw the line as with alcohol and whatnot, but many idiots see it as ''OMGZ I'm doing drugs I'm 'ard mate'' and just do it non-stop to appear as some sort of Gangster which causes negative externalities 8-). Also selling drugs and stuff, people not paying back drug dealers, and the bigger dent into the NHS budget...all not good. The most disturbing thing I find is that I know some people who do drugs so often that they are in this false sense of state more than they are themselves... I find that sad really . So yeah, no to that thanks.

I really like the idea of creating a sort of role model man and woman of the country, much like all of the propaganda in the World Wars. Would give some sort of conformity and idea that you can be individualistic with the right basic morals to guide you. I think theres too much pressure to conform to a religion with set morals. I think , having an instinctive basic guideline of morals for people to look to for guidance is such a good idea , with many young people not having anyone to set them morals.

ReputationRep:
    I'm fond of tightening up laws, as it currently stands it's a bit of a joke. Especially if you're under 18.

ReputationRep:

I don't agree with this. Why should we watch our behaviour when we're away? I'd rather not have to act like we're in school again thank you very much. It's none of the countries business what we do whilst abroad.

9. Develop a set of values of how a British man and British woman should behave by, regardless of race, sexual orientation, financial background or other discriminating factors. Make these known to everyone from a young age, through schools, pubic campaigns etc

Um... what?! How about we not have a system that decides how we should and should not act, this would make people rebel more and cause more harm than good.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.