Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Make that a 360 Modena :cool:

My serious comment though:

One thing that I think we could do with getting back is our industry and the government supporting the advance of technology and exploration, we do nothing interesting or exciting anymore. Ever since Thatcher decided manned space exploration was basically a waste of time and money, we've gone downhill and our status of innovation been lost. Instead we've ended up inventing some great things, but selling them off to places like the US. The Jet Engine for example.

How great would it be to have our own major space agency, manned flights, pushing the boundaries and become part of the race again? I'd put money on it we'd make progress and take things to the next level like we have done in a lot of areas, if the yanks can do what they've done imagine what we could do

Space is just my example of one area, but it would just be nice to have some interesting and exciting things happening in Britain again that we can be proud of, other than what most people seem to be excited about these days...oh great, Intel have whacked some more cores into a processor, or here comes the xbox 1080.. yipee (note both companies also American)

ReputationRep:
    I'd vote for you =]

ReputationRep:
    I think we are pretty great compared to countries of similar size. We've a lot to be proud of, both past and present. The reason why we're not a world super power is down to many factors, but the size of our island is one of them.

I know I'm a bit bias, but playing an active role in the European Union would make this country Great again.

ReputationRep:
    To make Britain great you have to be a superpower, to achieve that you have to have a very powerful economy, the US is the only real superpower out there at the moment, with India and China soon to follow. Sadly, Britain can never be an economic superpower since the country is too small, there is a smaller workforce, even with this population the workforce is too small. It doesn't compare to the large population the US, India and China have, plus the large amount of land they possess..

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Welsh_insomniac.. we do have a lot to be proud of, however I feel becomming part of the union would remove the last ounce of being individual. I can understand the benefits though.

You say we can never be a superpower, but we sort of once were...
    Agreed, limited land and workforce do restrict us, but I don't feel numbers and size is what makes a country 'great'. Theres a reason this little island has such a reputation for packing a big punch. Our tiny dot on the world still receives just as much status and coverage as the US. And yes ok, while we may not be able to rival 'superpowers' like the US and China for sheer size and population, quality over quantity springs to mind, when it comes to output and 'greatness'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tenski)
    Our tiny dot on the world still receives just as much status and coverage as the US.
    Really? I don't think so.
    The US is just so much more influential. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanoi)
    Really? I don't think so.
    The US is just so much more influential. :confused:
    Yeah. I know what you mean, and that maybe so just due to its sheer size and presence. But when you think about it in relative terms, how much smaller we are, how huge they are... I think we get near on as much if not more respect in some aspects, by the rest of the world. The main difference is, america love everyone to know whats going on with them and that everyone is looking up to them, but they're stuck in their bubble about whats happening on their continent, and don't really pay much attention to or have much news feed about whats happening elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dropdeadfred2)
    Well, taken to the extreme we already have laws that tell s wat is not acceptable behaviour don't we? We have all decided that rape, murder, theft, cild abuse, physical violence and lots of ther abhorrent behaviour is bad and punishabe by law....
    We were talking about behaviour which is lawful. Laws are necessary, a moral charter telling us how we should be behaving inside of the law is abhorrent.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that total freedom is overrated and most of your policies make sense, implenting them however, is a different kettle of a fish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    We were talking about behaviour which is lawful. Laws are necessary, a moral charter telling us how we should be behaving inside of the law is abhorrent.
    But before laws are made people's morals come into force to suggest laws...such as making it unlawful for a man to rape his wife, despite them being married. It was people being told that this was unacceptable behaviour that gradually got it changed to law..same with the law against hitting children and leaving a mark etc
    If no government (or individual) were ever allowed to stand up and suggest that certain behaviour was abhorrent then we would be living in an even worse society than we do now

ReputationRep:
    But before laws are made people's morals come into force to suggest laws...such as making it unlawful for a man to rape his wife, despite them being married. It was people being told that this was unacceptable behaviour that gradually got it changed to law..same with the law against hitting children and leaving a mark etc
    If no government (or individual) were ever allowed to stand up and suggest that certain behaviour was abhorrent then we would be living in an even worse society than we do now
    Can you not see the difference between outlawing spousal rape (for example), and implementing a set of values inside of the law telling us how we should behave? It's the equivalent of the moral police, how can we tell people what their values should be, or what their lawful behaviour should be?

ReputationRep:
    All sounds a bit right wing to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    Can you not see the difference between outlawing spousal rape (for example), and implementing a set of values inside of the law telling us how we should behave? It's the equivalent of the moral police.
    I'm not sure which of us is not full understanding the other...
    I ust think that moras in this counry for the masses are on the decline and if you ask your parents what stopped them behaving in the manner that alot of young people act in today it wouldn't be just because they were against the law (most behaviour that is just annoying to others isn't ) they would be worried about what their parents/teachers/police/neighbours eg the COMMUNITY would think of them. I don't think many people have that fear or worr anymore, everyone thinks they have a right to behave in any way they like...surel that is just as abhorrent as aving a moral code suggested?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure which of us is not full understanding the other...
    I ust think that moras in this counry for the masses are on the decline and if you ask your parents what stopped them behaving in the manner that alot of young people act in today it wouldn't be just because they were against the law (most behaviour that is just annoying to others isn't ) they would be worried about what their parents/teachers/police/neighbours eg the COMMUNITY would think of them. I don't think many people have that fear or worr anymore, everyone thinks they have a right to behave in any way they like...surel that is just as abhorrent as aving a moral code suggested?
    No, because I don't think that's even remotely true for the vast majority of people.

Even if it was, I would rather live in this society, than a society where my government told me what my values should be, or how I should behave if I'm not breaking the law. That's not their business. That's not carte blanche for people to act however they want, it's just an insistence on freedom of speech and pluralism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    No, because I don't think that's even remotely true for the vast majority of people.

Even if it was, I would rather live in this society, than a society where my government told me what my values should be, or how I should behave if I'm not breaking the law. That's not their business. That's not carte blanche for people to act however they want, it's just an insistence on freedom of speech and pluralism.

Of course that is your opinion and you put it across more eloquently than me. But I c an't help but disagree with it.

ReputationRep:
    16. Bring back capital and corporal punishment
    17. Ban the burkha
    18. Stop/considerably reduce immigration
    19. Withdraw from the EU
    20. Invade Eire for the lulz

ReputationRep:
    The only way to make a country great again is to make it a military super power.

ReputationRep:
    16 - Strict punishments for those caught carrying a knife or weapon. A minimum of one year jail time.

17 - A crack down on Anti-Social behaviour - Adopt the Californian "Three Strikes Law" to curb persistant offenders.

18 - Encourage entrepreneurship - More effective grants and a massive reduction in Business Rates and Tax.

19 - Actually listen to the Publics concerns (ie immigration that every politician seems to refuse to acknowledge)

20 - A move away from the "One size fits all" educational policy. Some children clearly have no interest in education and merely distract and pull down others. These offenders should be removed from the school and offered alternative methods (apprentice roles perhaps)

21 - A massive crackdown on benefit fraud. Also, make those who have been unemployed for a long period of time do menial labour for the state.

The ''Great'' came out of Britain long ago!!! lol . .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    The only way to make a country great again is to make it a military super power.
    I disagree. Thats the American policy that 'Great' implies having the biggest amount of power, bigger is always better with everything. i.e. whacking a 7 litre engine in a saloon makes it a super car. As I said before, quality over quantity. I'm not denying yeah ok, when it comes down to it if you're talking in a military sense, sure they could bully us as they have a greater population (not that it matters these days with nuclear warefare), but I don't think that makes a country 'Great'.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.