Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey guys

need to dial this number based in the USA and cant work out what code i use, iv googled and it says to add 00 1 then the number which is given as Toll-Free: (866) 788-2482 so when i dial 00 1 866 788 2482, it doesnt work?

any advice much appreciated!!!

thanks

ReputationRep:
    cut out the 866 and try just using 001 in fronto f the number, its what i do and it always works.

ReputationRep:
    The number might be restricted to only being callable from the US, in a similar way to 0800 (and other 'special' dialling codes, eg 0845 etc) being restricted to UK only. Most of these numbers have an international equivalent, which is usually just a normal landline number.

ReputationRep:
    thanks!

ReputationRep:
    did it work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xallofusx)
    cut out the 866 and try just using 001 in fronto f the number, its what i do and it always works.
    But that leaves: xxx-xxxx

That's only 10 million numbers for the 300 million+ population :hmmm:

Anyway, 866 is a toll free number. It may not work from here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTallOne)
    But that leaves: xxx-xxxx

That's only 10 million numbers for the 300 million+ population :hmmm:

Anyway, 866 is a toll free number. It may not work from here.

It's what i do :o: i only call a cellphone though so it may be different.

ReputationRep:
    415-222-8400 thats stub hubs corporate office they may be able to re direct so you dial 00 1* 415 222 8400 i think lol
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by xallofusx)
    No Numbers require an area code (what 866, in that case, is).

ReputationRep:
    You cannot call toll free numbers internationally.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I've had to call plenty of US toll free numbers for various reasons. You can call them, but you get a warning from a nice American lady saying that you will be charged. It then connects your call.

ReputationRep:
    BIGMAC is the usa dialing code for example

BIGMAC-0415-491

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.