Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey guys

need to dial this number based in the USA and cant work out what code i use, iv googled and it says to add 00 1 then the number which is given as Toll-Free: (866) 788-2482 so when i dial 00 1 866 788 2482, it doesnt work?

any advice much appreciated!!!

thanks

ReputationRep:
    cut out the 866 and try just using 001 in fronto f the number, its what i do and it always works.

ReputationRep:
    The number might be restricted to only being callable from the US, in a similar way to 0800 (and other 'special' dialling codes, eg 0845 etc) being restricted to UK only. Most of these numbers have an international equivalent, which is usually just a normal landline number.

ReputationRep:
    thanks!

ReputationRep:
    did it work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xallofusx)
    cut out the 866 and try just using 001 in fronto f the number, its what i do and it always works.
    But that leaves: xxx-xxxx

That's only 10 million numbers for the 300 million+ population :hmmm:

Anyway, 866 is a toll free number. It may not work from here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTallOne)
    But that leaves: xxx-xxxx

That's only 10 million numbers for the 300 million+ population :hmmm:

Anyway, 866 is a toll free number. It may not work from here.

It's what i do :o: i only call a cellphone though so it may be different.

ReputationRep:
    415-222-8400 thats stub hubs corporate office they may be able to re direct so you dial 00 1* 415 222 8400 i think lol
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by xallofusx)
    No Numbers require an area code (what 866, in that case, is).

ReputationRep:
    You cannot call toll free numbers internationally.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I've had to call plenty of US toll free numbers for various reasons. You can call them, but you get a warning from a nice American lady saying that you will be charged. It then connects your call.

ReputationRep:
    BIGMAC is the usa dialing code for example

BIGMAC-0415-491

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.