Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Z_Ahmed)
    Salaam my indian friends. I just wanted to ask do any of you's speak punjabi or urdu?
    w.salam bro

yh i can speak urdu, many other people from the the northern states also speak it e.g places like, lacknow, yupee etc
    and punjabi is mainly spoken by people who are from Punjab

(Original post by *A_S_H*)
    w.salam bro

yh i can speak urdu, many other people from the the northern states also speak it e.g places like, lacknow, yupee etc
    Before partition Hindi used to be synonymous with Urdu (except the written). So really, aren't you just speaking Hindi? But writing Urdu :ninja:

Sorry, i'm just being pedantic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    Before partition Hindi used to be synonymous with Urdu (except the written). So really, aren't you just speaking Hindi? But writing Urdu :ninja:

Sorry, i'm just being pedantic
    hmm standard hindi is 95% similar to urdu, in speaking that is of course.
    do you speak hindi then?

ReputationRep:
    w.salam bro

O ok, thats cool. I can only speak punjabi myself lol. I just embarrass myself trying to speak Urdu. Anyways, I just want to get a discussion happening as I've never encountered a muslim from india before lol.

Yes you guys are a rare species here in Glasgow. So erm... are you guys great followers of cricket? It may sound like a daft question considering India as a great force in world cricket lol. If yes, who is your favourite player from the Indian cricket team and why.

hmm standard hindi is 95% similar to urdu, in speaking that is of course.
    do you speak hindi then?
    Bohut thodha. 6 sahl england meh aur mera pitaji aur mataji english .. use karte hain. Mehne bohut bhool ghaya hoon.

I'd be very surprised if that made sense :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Bohut thodha. 6 sahl england meh aur mera pitaji aur mataji english .. use karte hain. Mehne bohut bhool ghaya hoon.

I'd be very surprised if that made sense :rolleyes:
    wow not as bad as you make it out to be then
    use karte hai- istemaal karte hai
    mein bilkul bhool gaya hoon instead of - mehne ... that u wrote which didnt make sense

so u dnt speak gujrati like most people here?

wow not as bad as you make it out to be then
    use karte hai- istemaal karte hai
    mein bilkul bhool gaya hoon instead of - mehne ... that u wrote which didnt make sense

so u dnt speak gujrati like most people here?
    I'm a mumbaiite. I only "speak" Hindi and English i'm afraid :p:

Thanks for the help :awesome:

Aap bohut ... helpful hain :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Z_Ahmed)
    O ok, thats cool. I can only speak punjabi myself lol. I just embarrass myself trying to speak Urdu. Anyways, I just want to get a discussion happening as I've never encountered a muslim from india before lol.

Yes you guys are a rare species here in Glasgow. So erm... are you guys great followers of cricket? It may sound like a daft question considering India as a great force in world cricket lol. If yes, who is your favourite player from the Indian cricket team and why.
    lol yeah there are more pakistanis in glassgow, but if u come down to places like Leicester, London, Bradford, etc there are many muslim indians
    and all indians there are crazzzy about cricket, am not like that but since india are one of the greatest in that field i do support them

ReputationRep:
    I'm a mumbaiite. I only "speak" Hindi and English i'm :

mein bhi :yep: but u "speak" it but i speak it!

Thanks for the help :awesome:

Aap bohut ... helpful hain :awesome
    lol koi baat nahi

mein bhi :yep: but u "speak" it but i speak it!

lol koi baat nahi
    It's actually interesting how many Indians in the media today can speak neither satisfactory Hindi or English and decide to pollute the airwaves with the annoying Hinglish i find so bemusing

Well, i'll pick it up when i go back :p:

ReputationRep:
    It's actually interesting how many Indians in the media today can speak neither satisfactory Hindi or English and decide to pollute the airwaves with the annoying Hinglish i find so bemusing

Well, i'll pick it up when i go back :p:
    true say here but indians from india can speak both languages perfectly well and am talking about cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Surat, Ahmedabad etc etc
    lol so you are planning to go there, :yep: you'll pick up all the street slang in no time

true say here but indians from india can speak both languages perfectly well and am talking about cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Surat, Ahmedabad etc etc
    lol so you are planning to go there, :yep: you'll pick up all the street slang in no time
    Well i actually lived there for the first two thirds of my life.

I'm quite ashamed of how quickly i've forgotten tbh

ReputationRep:
    u cnt get with it if u can't answer to how are you in hindi :p:

ehh exactly thats why i was asking you - where on earth are you from,
    tel aviv kownsa khazanah wahaan mil gayaa?:rolleyes:

Lol does it really matter where Im from? If it is Israel or not :P

ReputationRep:
    Well i actually lived there for the first two thirds of my life.

I'm quite ashamed of how quickly i've forgotten tbh
    oMg reallly :eek: you should be ashamed!

i mean u would have been an expert compared to me

oMg reallly :eek: you should be ashamed!

i mean u would have been an expert compared to me
    Well, the life i lived, Hindi was an unneeded asset. You needed to understand and converse with the peons, but the business was done in English.

As it is in upper class India (not that i was upper class!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amit92)
    Lol does it really matter where Im from? If it is Israel or not :P
    yeah but i was only asking, no harm in that ok its israel then

ReputationRep:
    Well, the life i lived, Hindi was an unneeded asset. You needed to understand and converse with the peons, but the business was done in English.

As it is in upper class India (not that i was upper class!)
    ohh i see but then what did you speak at home?

ohh i see but then what did you speak at home?
    My parents did and still do speak English to me. My Gdad was one of the old guard and as such rarely spoke anything but English. There was the gmom and the nanny (servant as we call them back home, which Westerners seem to equate with slave) which spoke Hindi, but that was it.

What about you?

ReputationRep:
    yeah but i was only asking, no harm in that ok its israel then
    Lol, Im from UK ...Happy now?

ReputationRep:
    My parents did and still do speak English to me. My Gdad was one of the old guard and as such rarely spoke anything but English. There was the gmom and the nanny (servant as we call them back home, which Westerners seem to equate with slave) which spoke Hindi, but that was it.

What about you?
    well back there they speak hindi at home here now we mostly speak english. i dnt knw how to read or write it, but at least i can speak it, and get by really well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.