Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Z_Ahmed)
    Salaam my indian friends. I just wanted to ask do any of you's speak punjabi or urdu?
    Salaam bhai, I speak Urdu as I'm from the central-North of India, not the Punjab.

I assume you speak both Punjabi and Urdu then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Salaam bhai, I speak Urdu as I'm from the central-North of India, not the Punjab.

I assume you speak both Punjabi and Urdu then?
    Walakiumsalam, no brother I can't really speak proper Urdu, When i try I just end up embarrasing myself lol. I mainly speak Punjabi as my family come from the punjab province in Pakistan. The city of Faisalabad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insanetothebrain)
    You ******, I'm going to rocket launch you and your family members back to Pakistan.
    It doesn't matter if were Hindu,Buddhist,Jain,Sikh,Jew,Mus lim,Christian,Atheist,Agnostic but that were Indian first and foremost. We should be giving respect to the Muslim families that didn't move to Pakistan/Bangladeshi during partition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amit92)
    It doesn't matter if were Hindu,Buddhist,Jain,Sikh,Jew,Mus lim,Christian,Atheist,Agnostic but that were Indian first and foremost. We should be giving respect to the Muslim families that didn't move to Pakistan/Bangladeshi during partition.
    Jai Hind to that my brother. :yes:

I am an Indian Muslim and proud; would do anything for my country. Our multi-religious society is our strength and has been for the past several thousand years, before many religions were even born.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Jai Hind to that my brother. :yes:

I am an Indian Muslim and proud; would do anything for my country. Our multi-religious society is our strength and has been for the past several thousand years, before many religions were even born.

Yeppp, the only bad thing in India is the Police! Corrupt and Sleazy!

ReputationRep:
    Can I just ask a question to Gujarati Muslims if there parents didn't teach them Gujarati and Urdu/Arabic instead?

ReputationRep:
    i was born in south sfrica but my grandparents are all from india i think that does sort of make me a british indian muslim lol...i'm fourteen so i'm still in high school

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Gujarati muslim but i only know a bit of Gujarati and haven't really been taught it, i don't know urdu either and can only read arabic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poppy_Ki)
    I'm a Gujarati muslim but i only know a bit of Gujarati and haven't really been taught it, i don't know urdu either and can only read arabic
    Do you just speak English at home then?

ReputationRep:
    Do you just speak English at home then?
    yh, me and most of my family just speak english only the elders really talk in Gujarati..

ReputationRep:
    yh, me and most of my family just speak english only the elders really talk in Gujarati..
    Ahh I see, dont you think it would be wise to learn Gujarati to keep that cultural link there and bond?

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I see, dont you think it would be wise to learn Gujarati to keep that cultural link there and bond?
    yh i guess so which is why i'm trying to learn it... i can understand it although i never speak it

ReputationRep:
    yh i guess so which is why i'm trying to learn it... i can understand it although i never speak it
    Why don't you try speaking to your parents in Gujarati even if they talk to you in English?

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you try speaking to your parents in Gujarati even if they talk to you in English?
    because honestly i wouldn't know what to say and how to say it even if i do understand some of it...

ReputationRep:
    Can I just ask a question to Gujarati Muslims if there parents didn't teach them Gujarati and Urdu/Arabic instead?
    Nope I grew in a home where everyone spoke gujarati (only speak, not read and write) the younger generations mainly communicated in english between each other but nonetheless they still knew gujarati, I also know urdu though (both read and write) and I know how to read arabic because I used to evening classes at my local mosque where they taught urdu/arabic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gujii_Giirl)
    Hey Guys , Im brit-Indian-Muslim too.. My names Shameem, I'm 18 from London, finished A-Levels in Biology, Chemistry and Psychology.. Going onto studying Accounting

Parents originally from Gujarat.. But my Gujarati's terrible.. It's half Baruchi and half surti.. And the other bits are english (The words I don't know in Guji I just say them in English:confused: ) I'm a very confused child you see :mmm:
    Ahh is it dialect thing thats why?

ReputationRep:
    im a brit guji muslim....where bouts y'all from in india? anyone here been back home?

ReputationRep:
    Some place called Anand :confused: It's near Ahmedabad :rolleyes: What bout you.. Yeah I went Few years ago, I'll give the next holiday a miss lol Not my ideal vacation
    my mums from some place near surat in gujarat, been twice...lol i take it you didn't like it? i hated getting bitten by bludy mosquitos..but quite enjoyed riding round on a motorbike :p:

are u surti..baruchi? a guji has to ask these things lol

ReputationRep:
    LOL!! Ahh the mosquito's :banghead:, The weaather :woo:, The flooor :mad: The wasps :stomp: The lists could go on forever lol.. People from India just use to stare at me.. Is that thier past time hobby? :confused: Don't think they liked my haircut (Had a full fringe at the time which they use to always giggle at).. The moterbikes was quite cool lol.. Hated going on the trains though! And the indians were sooo damn sleazy and urgh lol, ranting time over lol.. :rolleyes: Oh jesus not the question again lol! I consider myself to be Ahmedabadi or Anandi.. If there's any such thing lol :p: Well we're closer to surat than baruch so I guess surti :yes:
    i've not been india for bou 7 years...i take it you've been recently, haha yeh they weird...and bludy annoying! i'm a guy so i'm safe...well unless they swing the other way then i'm in trouble :eek: can u speak gujarati? lol

ReputationRep:
    Yeah been india few years back lol.. It was so annoying how every1 wanted me to say something in English, wherever I go they just say one thing "say something to me in English" and then I feel all thier eyes on me lol, and then they try replying back in English and they didn't even make sense if I tell them to repeat it they ask if I'm sure im from London :eek: So then I was like you know what your English is way too advanced for me lets stick to Gujarati :p:

Yeah I can but half of it is baruchi and half of it is kind of surti.. At home we use to speak surti gujarati and in mosque they use to talk in gujarati and now all the words from both places are jumbled up in my head! And the grammer is S*** Everyone thats baruchi says my gujarati sounds so posh and everyone from back home plus my family says I talk like a baruchi.. So I don't fit in anywhere . What about you.. Do u consider yourself to be surti.. I bet you do :cool: :p:.. How good is your gujarati?
    lol i used to get confused when they used to talk, they talk so bludy fast.....i'd just stand there looking proper lost. did u go to delhi and bombay? indias changed lots since i've last been..

i speak to my mum in english and she replies back in guji, its gud u can speak guji..most gujis these days can't. yeh i'm surti..but i''m not bothered with all that if ur a guji ur a guji..teru naam hu che?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.