Turn on thread page Beta

Is sex a human right? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yosimaule)
    I had to read your title over and over and over before I understood it.
    My mind wanted to say "Is 'sex-a-human' right?" And I was thinking 'who on earth is sex-a-human?'
    lol i had a similar rection....:p:

ReputationRep:
    you don't NEED sex - it's the orgasm that most people crave - and people are capable of orgasming on their own!

Also, couldn't people just make sex dolls which have adequately squishy and moist genitalia to mimic the sensation.

They could also be robotic too - imagine that? Robosex

squishysquish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FatFridge)
    It's not human NEED. It's used for enjoyment and reproduction so we dont neccesarily need it.
    As a species we do need it. But OP ur being ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    Sex is the ultimate human desire.

For psychological wellbeing, you do 'need' sex.
    lots of people go without it for their entire lives

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zdo0o)
    lots of people go without it for their entire lives
    But my point is that nobody should have to go throughout their lives without it.

People can go without electricity their entire lives, it doesn't mean they should have to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xps.systems)
    you don't NEED sex - it's the orgasm that most people crave - and people are capable of orgasming on their own!

Also, couldn't people just make sex dolls which have adequately squishy and moist genitalia to mimic the sensation.

They could also be robotic too - imagine that? Robosex

squishysquish.
    Excactly! It's the climax thats important to most people. It's releasement and that can obviously be achieved without a partner.

ReputationRep:
    But my point is that nobody should have to go throughout their lives without it.

People can go without electricity their entire lives, it doesn't mean they should have to.
    "For psychological wellbeing, you do 'need' sex. "

no you don't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zdo0o)
    "For psychological wellbeing, you do 'need' sex. "

no you don't
    Of course you do. Well, most of us do.

Going without sex is unnatural. No physically fit animal bar humans goes without it. I'd say lack of sex contributes to many problems within society.

ReputationRep:
    And if it is, should the government therefore fully legalise prostitution, or even pay for it for those with little money?

The vast majority of psychologists recognise that is is a basic human need, alongside water, food and shelter.
    1. No, sex is not a human right
    2. It probably is a need for many people.
    3. Right and need are not the same

ReputationRep:
    Human rights should only exist relative to a situation. So, for example, the necessary right to protection should probably exist in cases where AIDs and other STIs are endemic. And certain rights should be withdrawn in accordance to the situation e.g. right to life for terrorists. The UN Declaration is a joke.

ReputationRep:
    Sex is the ultimate human desire.

For psychological wellbeing, you do 'need' sex.

But say you never had sex,

you wouldn't exactly roll over and die now, would you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JectioN)
    I think sex is a 'human right' in so far as the state should not interfere in the private lives of consenting adults who wish to engage in sexual relations.

However, it's obviously not a 'human right' as in the government is required to 'provide sex' to its citizens. In other words, it's a negative human right, not positive.
    This is the answer. Too many people on this forum don't understand what a right is I think

ReputationRep:
    Of course you do. Well, most of us do.

Going without sex is unnatural. No physically fit animal bar humans goes without it. I'd say lack of sex contributes to many problems within society.
    physical side: there are "other ways" to keep you in working order

emotional side: people can overcome far more treacherous obstacles in their lives than celibacy, and people have gone without sex for their entire lives too. you don't "need" it.

please don't reply with any more terribad arguments, because i shall not be replying back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zdo0o)
    physical side: there are "other ways" to keep you in working order

emotional side: people can overcome far more treacherous obstacles in their lives than celibacy, and people have gone without sex for their entire lives too. you don't "need" it.

please don't reply with any more terribad arguments, because i shall not be replying back.
    What sort of obnoxious response is that?

Because my views differ from your views it means my arguments are 'terribad' (whatever that piece of idiotic slang is supposed to mean, I assume it is a combination of terrible and bad)?

Basically, a big UURGH at you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    you dont need sex
    (Original post by FatFridge)
    It's not human NEED. It's used for enjoyment and reproduction so we dont neccesarily need it.
    'Need' can only be understood as a concept relating to a decided-upon conclusion. Whilst you can say "I need to drink in order to live" to say "I need to drink" makes no sense.

To try and define human rights in terms of 'need' is ludicrous and logically facile.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    Obviously not.
    Why 'obviously'?

ReputationRep:
    Why 'obviously'?
    Because people can live quite easily without it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    Because people can live quite easily without it.
    People can live without electricity, but electricity is considered to be a basic human right by most.

ReputationRep:
    People can live without electricity, but electricity is considered to be a basic human right by most.
    No it isn't.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.