Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    No it isn't.
    I think you'll find it is.

And even if you dispute that, I can point you to 'the right to free speech', and the 'right to an education'. Neither are needed to live, but both are considered to be human rights by the UN.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    I think you'll find it is.

And even if you dispute that, I can point you to 'the right to free speech', and the 'right to an education'. Neither are needed to live, but both are considered to be human rights by the UN.
    Freedom of speech is not a thing you are given, it's that lack of restriction. There is a lack of restriction on consenting adults having sex with each other.

Saying that sex is a human right is like says friendships and conversation are a human right. It's a human right not to have those things restricted (the right to privacy) but it's not a human right to be provided with them.

Education is needed to be part of society, to get work etc.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm off to relieve myself.

Good night xx.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    Saying that sex is a human right is like says friendships and conversation are a human right.
    Free association and free speech are human rights. I suppose free association covers the right to have sex as well.

Sex isn't really a human right its just a human need, on the subject of prostitution though no I don't think it should be legalized because it would just encourage pimps to well....pimp, and it makes our streets look horrible if you see some random people having sex over the gear shaft.

ReputationRep:
    Sex between consenting partners is a human right, but it's not a human right for individuals to have sex. Maybe lack of sex can cause mental illness (it certainly contributed for me), but so can a lack of a relationship, and that's something that it would be impossible for the government to provide.

(Original post by Genocidal)
    Sex isn't really a human right its just a human need, on the subject of prostitution though no I don't think it should be legalized because it would just encourage pimps to well....pimp, and it makes our streets look horrible if you see some random people having sex over the gear shaft.
    What would be wrong with "pimping" if it's done in such a way that is fair to the workers? Legalising it would encourage pimps to pimp, but it would discourage them from being abusive. Also public obscenity laws would still apply.

ReputationRep:
    Sex isn't a right - but up until a while ago we still needed it to carry on the human race so it is rather important...

ReputationRep:
    Sex is not a right, rather that you have the right to not be forced not to have sex. There's a difference

ReputationRep:
    Prostitution amounts to sexual exploitation; I could not have faith in a government which promoted it.

Sex is not a human right; it may well be a human need in the same way that love is, but you cannot force someone to love you. Likewise, sex is not something that should be legislated for.

ReputationRep:
    No

\thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yosimaule)
    I had to read your title over and over and over before I understood it.
    My mind wanted to say "Is 'sex-a-human' right?" And I was thinking 'who on earth is sex-a-human?'
    Haha that's hilarious!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    Prostitution amounts to sexual exploitation; I could not have faith in a government which promoted it.
    There's a difference between promoting it and permitting it.

ReputationRep:
    What sort of obnoxious response is that?

Because my views differ from your views it means my arguments are 'terribad' (whatever that piece of idiotic slang is supposed to mean, I assume it is a combination of terrible and bad)?

Basically, a big UURGH at you.
    breaking my promise of no response here, but no, it wasn't because your view is different to mine, it is because your view is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    it is not a right. the government aren't going to introduce "prostitution benefits" for fugly geeks
    :P

The right of a person to choose who they have sex with is much more important than the "right" of someone else to have sex.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobweb1989)
    haha.
    reproduction (or simulation of reproduction i.e. sex) is part of our basic needs which include resperation, nutrition and sleep.
    Not really. You die without those things, but not without sex.

Anything that doesn't harm others against their will is a human rights. Positive rights are bunk, though.

ReputationRep:
    And if it is, should the government therefore fully legalise prostitution, or even pay for it for those with little money?

The vast majority of psychologists recognise that is is a basic human need, alongside water, food and shelter.
    Yes. Specifically, sex with Scarlett Johansson.

I await my ration with much anticipation Mr. Brown.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't have sex you aren't going to die, if you don't eat or drink water you will die. Therefore, it can't be viewed like these things and we don't 'need' it to live.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.