Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No, sex is not a human right. If you had the right to have sex then someone would not have the right to refuse sex with you. This right to sex would greatly infringe on everyone' rights.

ReputationRep:
    People go on about rights far too much these days, Education, equality, special treatment for disabled people, all these sorts of things. None of them are rights, they are priveleges, and should be appreciated when they are available, but not taken for granted as being something we deserve. Sex is no different, it isn't a right anymore than anything else, no one owes us it, so we have no right to demand it.

ReputationRep:
    No more than chocolate is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikdc5)
    Free association and free speech are human rights. I suppose free association covers the right to have sex as well.
    But you do not have the right to be provided with friends, conversation, or sex if you can't get them on your own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    Of course you do. Well, most of us do.

Going without sex is unnatural. No physically fit animal bar humans goes without it. I'd say lack of sex contributes to many problems within society.
    Monks and Nuns willingly go without sex.

Asexuals do not feel the need to have sex.

They live long and perfectly decent lives

ReputationRep:
    Of course you do. Well, most of us do.

Going without sex is unnatural. No physically fit animal bar humans goes without it. I'd say lack of sex contributes to many problems within society.
    Since I just noticed this - you're completely wrong. Animals who can't get mates, or in some species are not the 'dominant' male, don't mate.

ReputationRep:
    nope it isn't

And if it is, should the government therefore fully legalise prostitution, or even pay for it for those with little money?

The vast majority of psychologists recognise that is is a basic human need, alongside water, food and shelter.
    This is what the great thing about masturbation is. Just have a go yourself and feel better afterwards. The differences with this and other things is that it is the only thing you can do yourself freely; you can't tickle your stomach to make your body think it's eaten, and you can't keep warm in Winter by closing your eyes and pretending you're in a house by a warm fire.

ReputationRep:
    Sex is the ultimate human desire.

For psychological wellbeing, you do 'need' sex.
    so what about nuns? they have psychological problems?

(Original post by Tootles)
    This is what the great thing about masturbation is. Just have a go yourself and feel better afterwards. The differences with this and other things is that it is the only thing you can do yourself freely; you can't tickle your stomach to make your body think it's eaten, and you can't keep warm in Winter by closing your eyes and pretending you're in a house by a warm fire.
    And what is a person to do if masturbation often leaves him feeling empty inside, not better?

Asked on behalf of a close friend, of course.

ReputationRep:
    It's not, and that's why masturbation was invented for ugly people.

ReputationRep:
    Making babies is quite important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FatFridge)
    It's not human NEED. It's used for enjoyment and reproduction so we dont neccesarily need it.

AHAHAAHAAHAA FAAAAIIIILLLLL

"yeh it's essential for the furthering of our species and our main purpose is procreation, but we don't NEED it!" :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emc2)
    Well, it's not in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, so I'd say no, it's not a fundamental human right. That said, there's room for discussion as to whether one can achieve a truly fulfilling life even without sex (I think they can), but that's a whole different matter altogether and certainly one that no government should have any say in.
    Procreation is, hedonism I doubt:

Article 16

(1) Men and women of full age, without any limitation due to race, nationality or religion, have the right to marry and to found a family. They are entitled to equal rights as to marriage, during marriage and at its dissolution.

(2) Marriage shall be entered into only with the free and full consent of the intending spouses.

An ANIMAL right maybe, but not a human one.

Human rights are traditionally associated with more intellectual pursuits, such as freedom of thought, speech and to a limited extent action.

While i don't doubt that everybody should try sex, i certainly wouldn't condone a serial rapist going around having his way under some misguided notion of "Human rights" :rolleyes:

(Original post by numb3rb0y)
    And what is a person to do if masturbation often leaves him feeling empty inside, not better?

Asked on behalf of a close friend, of course.
    When I discover the answer to this, I'll let you know.

:p:

ReputationRep:
    And if it is, should the government therefore fully legalise prostitution, or even pay for it for those with little money?

The vast majority of psychologists recognise that is is a basic human need, alongside water, food and shelter.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/need
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/want

ReputationRep:
    No or else lets liberate the nunnerys and monasterys!

ReputationRep:
    What sort of obnoxious response is that?

Because my views differ from your views it means my arguments are 'terribad' (whatever that piece of idiotic slang is supposed to mean, I assume it is a combination of terrible and bad)?

Basically, a big UURGH at you.
    a big urgh at you?

Ooooo what an articulate argument you put forward. People will definitely be considering your opinions with respect!!

ReputationRep:
    Darwin would be turning in his grave...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.