Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    people in school always talk about killing gays, and calling each other poof and fag.

Whenever homosexuality is mentioned, people also talk about how much they hate gays.

Are most young people like this?

ReputationRep:
    In my entire life, nobody has ever said anything about killing gays. Calling each other poof and ******s is common, sure enough, but there's no specific hatred towards gay people. It's just the term gay is turning into a word for stupid (e.g. "that is so gay" as a direct replacement for "that is so stupid").

I don't think most young people are homophobic. Once people get older they generally stop caring about homosexuality.

Homosexuality is more accepted now than it's ever been, so it would be absurd to call most people homophobic.

ReputationRep:
    Most grow out of it. A recent poll on TSR indicated that about 24% of users who responded were homophobic.

ReputationRep:
    I have no phobia of gays, i just disagree with their lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not

ReputationRep:
    I dont have any issues with gay people, as long as they dont do their thing in front of me...

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    I have no phobia of gays, i just disagree with their lifestyle.
    Would you go out of your way to deny gay people of the rights and lifestyle that they deserve/want?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Most grow out of it. A recent poll on TSR indicated that about 24% of users who responded were homophobic.
    Although a lot of them could have been voting that just to go against the norm, and may not believe that. Some people may find it funny, or cool, for example, to vote that they were homophobic as an act of defiance, when they deep down won't believe it.

Although a quarter of youngsters homophobic? Probably pre-University it does sound like a reasonable figure.

ReputationRep:
    I think most people think it's 'cool' to be homophobic. If your not then your considered a 'fag'. It's quite sad really.

ReputationRep:
    I dont have a phobia of gays, I just want to throw them all down a well/run them over with a bulldozer. THIS IS THE ONLY SOLUTION.. POWER TO THE PEOPLE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stu Laverty)
    Although a lot of them could have been voting that just to go against the norm, and may not believe that. Some people may find it funny, or cool, for example, to vote that they were homophobic as an act of defiance, when they deep down won't believe it.
    On the other hand, a lot of homophobes could have been voting that they're not homophobic.

ReputationRep:
    Would you go out of your way to deny gay people of the rights and lifestyle that they deserve/want?
    no i would do it legally and democratically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    On the other hand, a lot of homophobes could have been voting that they're not homophobic.
    I don't think so, actually. There'd be no reason for them to lie because it wouldn't be seen as an individual act of rebellion or going against the norm just for the sake of it. If the poll was so that everybody could see which option everybody voted for I could understand your point, but I don't know any reason why a homophobe would lie (bearing in mind they can stay anonymous) in a poll about whether they are a homophobe or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stu Laverty)
    I don't know any reason why a homophobe would lie [...] about whether they are a homophobe or not.
    They could be in denial.

The answer you are looking for, in that case, is actually "yes"; not "no".

ReputationRep:
    So, hypothetically, if there was a referendum to make homosexuality illegal again, you'd go to a polling station and vote for such a motion?

ReputationRep:
    You can't do that legally in this country, even at the behest of a willing electorate. Ever heard of the ECHR?

ReputationRep:
    I love ****.

ReputationRep:
    So, hypothetically, if there was a referendum to make homosexuality illegal again, you'd go to a polling station and vote for such a motion?
    :yep: but that would be pointless.

ReputationRep:
    :yep: but that would be pointless.
    So you would go our of your way to deny gay people the rights and lifestyle they deserve/want, then.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.