Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    Well that may be but those people, according to your link those people are the reason that bill was passed.
    Family Income size yes no
    Less than $15,000 5% 46% 54%
    $15,000–$29,999 10% 48% 52%
    $30,000-$49,999 15% 54% 46%
    $50,000-$74,999 19% 54% 46% wealthy people
    $75,000-$99,999 17% 50% 50%
    $100,000-$149,999 17% 54% 46%

$150,000-$199,999 7% 47% 53%
    Greater than $200,000 9% 45% 55%

Education
    No High School 3% * *
    H.S. Graduate 14% 56% 44%
    Some College 33% 57% 43%
    College Graduate 33% 50% 50%
    not really poorly educate
    Postgraduate Study 17% 40% 60%

(Original post by Diaz89)
    Family Income size yes no
    Less than $15,000 5% 46% 54%
    $15,000–$29,999 10% 48% 52%
    $30,000-$49,999 15% 54% 46%
    $50,000-$74,999 19% 54% 46% wealthy people
    $75,000-$99,999 17% 50% 50%
    $100,000-$149,999 17% 54% 46%

$150,000-$199,999 7% 47% 53%
    Greater than $200,000 9% 45% 55%

Education
    No High School 3% * *
    H.S. Graduate 14% 56% 44%
    Some College 33% 57% 43%
    College Graduate 33% 50% 50%
    not really poorly educate
    Postgraduate Study 17% 40% 60%
    I didnt say anything about wage. And there is a clear trend to the no vote with increasing education.

ReputationRep:
    no I will never harm someone so I don't know what you mean by going out of my way. But if there was a nation wide vote on gay related policies then that's a different matter (I'm not referring to the legality or illegality of homosexuality, more on marriage etc)
    So you would go our of your way to deny gay people the rights and lifestyle they deserve/want, then?

i.e. you do not have to vote, but you'd get off your arse and go to a polling station to vote against civil rights for gay people?

ReputationRep:
    I have nothing against ******s

ReputationRep:
    If you could guarantee that it wouldnt produce offspring, yes. However, you cant and they law would be unworkable so I think the easiest thing to do is a blanket ban. In your view why should homosexuality be illegal?
    That's strange because some would argue that in family sex/relationships had higher chance of producing more healthy children than those who are not related http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Reprodu...4258128&page=1

And as I said before the illegality of homosexuality is pointless.

ReputationRep:
    not really, California is the most liberal state in America.
    Ironic that a large proportion of Black Americans voted for a bill curtailing the civil rights of a minority group.

(Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Ironic that a large proportion of Black Americans voted for a bill curtailing the civil rights of a minority group.
    I think its just down to a poor level of education.

ReputationRep:
    yeah funny that....and more women

That's strange because some would argue that in family sex/relationships had higher chance of producing more healthy children than those who are not related http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Reprodu...4258128&page=1

And as I said before the illegality of homosexuality is pointless.
    My point is that it is not pointless. It is harmful and unfair.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I find it hilarious how people think saying it in terms such as " I disagree with their lifestyle" make it any less prejudiced and ridiculous. I just want to know where you draw the line between respecting people's religions and realizing that some of these religions' doctrines more or less advocate the mistreatment of certain groups. :/

(Original post by christinaxx)
    Yeah, I find it hilarious how people think saying it in terms such as " I disagree with their lifestyle" make it any less prejudiced and ridiculous. I just want to know where you draw the line between respecting people's religions and realizing that some of these religions' doctrines more or less advocate the mistreatment of certain groups. :/
    You are doing a lot to restore my faith in Americans.

ReputationRep:
    My point is that it is not pointless. It is harmful and unfair.
    but the research clearly showed you the contrary, sure they're not siblings but it would still be considered incest by today's standards?

but the research clearly showed you the contrary, sure they're not siblings but it would still be considered incest by today's standards?
    According to the law: no. And my comments were about gay marriage.

ReputationRep:
    I have nothing but contempt for those that voted for it, none more so than people whose ancestors where in similar situations in the past. They are truly selfish and horrid people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
    I have nothing but contempt for those that voted for it, none more so than people whose ancestors where in similar situations in the past. They are truly selfish and horrid people.
    he wouldn't fall into this category of horrid selfish people? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TPc4p7uxEs

ReputationRep:
    he wouldn't fall into this category of horrid selfish people? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TPc4p7uxEs
    If he voted for proposition 8, then yes.

ReputationRep:
    You are doing a lot to restore my faith in Americans.

Ahahaha...you'll find I'm not the typical Yank in most regards. That's why I'm moving to your dear little island :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by christinaxx)
    I'm interested in what you mean by 'advocating mistreatment'. There's a gargantuan difference between 'disapproval' and 'advocating mistreatment'.

I completely agree with civil marriages for consenting adults, but would you say that churches should be forced to marry same-sex couples or to change their stances on homosexuality? That would be rather illiberal, wouldn't it? Whether you consider homophobia to be ridiculous and prejudiced or not, shouldn't people be entitled to their own opinions? To be accepted in a church for example is not a civil liberty - as an atheist, I certainly wouldn't expect or want to be married in a Catholic Church. Why should it be different for homosexuals, who are quite clearly condemned in that religious sect?

ReputationRep:
    Gay men are fine with we , the more of them there are ,the less competition for us straight men. But when I was at school despite all the PC rubbish (that hasnt changed a thing it is just about control) being accused of being Gay was like as bad as being accused of being a paedo. If you let someone say it without knocking **** out of them ,might as well not come to school. There was a guy who didn't even say he was Gay was just a bit different to the rest, who he got a kicking everyday for that.

Hasn't changed after leaving school neither.Even at UNI people might accept it on the face of it , deep down people don't they just don't say. And outside uni people are pretty vocal about it. Deffo wouldn't hold hands if you swing a certain way down the streets where I live. The other day I saw two lesbos holding hands and a gang of female chavs were almost kicking off. One even told her kid to cover their eyes which I thought was pretty funny as I'm sure the poor kid sees far worse in her own house than two girls holding hands.

ReputationRep:
    Prejudice always comes from deep down. People have been conditioned to think that way by their families or friends and they just follow it blindly, no matter hown much you try to convince them otherwise. (And before I go further I would like to disclose that I am gay in a long term relationship - 10 years - and brought up as a catholic, to put things into the right context).

If you look at the arguments that people have against gays, they include the following:

1 - Unnatural according to the bible. That is rich coming from a nation where only 3% go to church, and from people who think that *****ing and hating others is acceptable. And there I was thinking that tolerance was one of the Bible's messages. Plus, at the end of the day, the Bible is only a book that is 2000 years old and which no one is forced to accept. And those who quote it aren't always those who believe in it, Or only when it is convenient for them to do so.

2 - Sodomy. Oh they love that argument. Listening to the critics, one would think that all we do is engage in sodomy all day long (and why not chuck in a few underage pictures as well, just to get excited!?) The truth is that not many gays actually practise sodomy, or at least not on a frequent basis. For most people, it hurts, not counting the messy side of it. And I have news for you: some straight people do it too! Personally I average at twice a year. So, you see, not exactly enough to define a lifestyle. I read on another thread that gays were either "givers, receivers or both". And why not neither? There are people who have a go at blow up doll in the straight community. I mean, I find that worse! Sad in fact... Getting comfort from a piece of plastic.

3 - Paedophilia. Though it is true that some male paedophiles have a preference for little boys, one cannot extend this to the gay community. In fact, many paedophiles go for little girls too (see the Mc Cann case). So, grow out of that one. Another scare story, with these nasty little gay monsters who are trying to kill your children. Let's look at rape for a minute. Why are almost all rapes done by heteroasexuals? Even when gay men get raped (so called gang rape) it is by "straight" blokes.

The reality is that those who feel strongly against homosexuality are people who feel threatened by it. They usually have gay feelings themselves and they can't deal with them. So the easiest solution is to hate those who are like that and go into denial. The problem is that some take it one step further and engage in gay bashing. Mind you, a spell in prison, will do wonders for their tolerance, once they have experienced the consequences of the other prisoners' sexual frustrations in the showers... Revenge is sweet... is that in the Bible? hehe

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.