Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Homophobia and gender Watch

• View Poll Results: Are you homophobic?
    No and I'm female
    41.12%
    No and I'm male
    46.45%
    Yes and I'm female
    3.85%
    Yes and I'm male
    8.58%

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    OMG not another thread about homosexuality. :rolleyes:

Don't turn this thread into a hate-fest.

I'm interested to confirm my thoughts about people on TSR that are homophobic.

Please vote in the poll.

[EDIT] For the interests of the poll, the term "homophobia" refers to a disliking for members of the LGBT community, because of their sexual orientation.

ReputationRep:
    I love homo's and bi's

I'm not wierd

ReputationRep:
    No,

Though gays pinching your bum bum :naughty: Don't go to G-A-Y if you're straight and mildly attractive.

I'm bi, so no.

ReputationRep:
    No I'm not and I don't see why people are :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not homophobic, but I get irritated with the effeminate traits some gay men acquire.

ReputationRep:
    I don't dislike homosexuals as people, and their personal life is no interest of mine. But I have concerns over gay adoption and marriage.

(Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    I don't dislike homosexuals as people, and their personal life is no interest of mine. But I have concerns over gay adoption and marriage.
    why this one?

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with gay marriage?

Edit: Turdburger got there before me, but the Qs still valid

ReputationRep:
    As long as gay marriage is seperate from the church then I see no problem. I'm not religious at all, but it would just piss of the religious types.

I'm not really bothered with marriage, even a civil partnership seems far too much of a commitment for me

I voted no

I think you'll find things to be pretty equal, slightly more homophobic males than females, nothing too drastic, I used to think males were more homophobic, but there seem to be an equal number of homophobic females from experience.

(Original post by moneyballs2)
    As long as gay marriage is seperate from the church then I see no problem. I'm not religious at all, but it would just piss of the religious types.

I'm not really bothered with marriage, even a civil partnership seems far too much of a commitment for me

I voted no

I think you'll find things to be pretty equal, slightly more homophobic males than females, nothing too drastic, I used to think males were more homophobic, but there seem to be an equal number of homophobic females from experience.
    Looking at the California vote this seems to be not true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    Looking at the California vote this seems to be not true.
    Which vote is this?

If it's Proposition 8 then Males voted yes at 53% and Females at 52% (says Wiki). But this regards Gay Marriage, so doesn't really give indication for Homophobia as they may just disagree with gay marriage due to religious beliefs. If it's not that the ignore this post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patrickthestarfish)
    What's wrong with gay marriage?

Edit: Turdburger got there before me, but the Qs still valid
    Because marriage is traditionally an institution between a man and a woman with the purpose to produce offspring. It kind of makes a mockery of the institution of marriage because, and I'll say what I think, homosexuality is not a compatible sexual (genital incompatibility) and spiritual (Yin and Yang) relationship as heterosexuality is. I think also that once when we have gay marriage is opens up a slippery slope to other, less desirable, forms of marriage (e.g. zoophilia and necrophilia).

It's not saying that I hate gays however.

Because marriage is traditionally an institution between a man and a woman with the purpose to produce offspring. It kind of makes a mockery of the institution of marriage because, and I'll say what I think, homosexuality is not a compatible sexual (genital incompatibility) and spiritual (Yin and Yang) relationship as heterosexuality is. I think also that once when we have gay marriage is opens up a slippery slope to other, less desirable, forms of marriage (e.g. zoophilia and necrophilia).

Bear-baiting and the mistreatment of women were traditional. Some traditions arent worth keeping.

And the rest of your comments: Just What? Gay marriage is clearly not a slippery slope to zoophilia consent being the key. And the yin and yang bit . These are some seriously nutty beliefs.

ReputationRep:

I really doubt permitting gay marriage leads the way to marriage between a human and an animal or a human and a dead person.

Obviously this is your opinion, but I still believe that Homosexuality and zoophillia & necrophilia are evidently different. One difference being homosexual marriage would be consential. I don't think any majority would ever agree to Zoophiliac & Necrophiliac marriages in the West.

ReputationRep:

Marriage is the ultimate expression of love between two people, not some functional process to reproduce; and gay men and women are just as capable of being in love as straights.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but there clearly is sexual compatibility between gays, because they have sex as much as heterosexual couples.

As for the 'yin and yang' compatibility; I disagree here as well. The yin and yang factor is down to personality, not necessarily gender. In straight couples, either the male or the female can be the dominant yang or the calmer yin, and so it is perfectly plausible to have a harmonic gay relationship in that respect.

As for zoophilia and necrophilia, I agree with what other people have said - gay marriage is consensual; these two are most certainly not.

ReputationRep:
    I do not agree with homosexuality, I do not like it. However, I'm not homophobic as I don't have an irrational fear of homosexuals where I jump up and down, or run away when I see them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ocelotrevs)
    I do not agree with homosexuality, I do not like it. However, I'm not homophobic as I don't have an irrational fear of homosexuals where I jump up and down, or run away when I see them.
    I bet your not against smoking hot lesbians though. Typical double standard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ocelotrevs)
    I do not agree with homosexuality, I do not like it.
    Well, you are from Jamaica.

ReputationRep:
    I thought pretty much girls wasn't homophobes and lads was a bit. I'm not at all. But when i went to college and some of the comments from young girls about lesbains shocked me. But if they came on here and did the poll they would put female and not homophobic.

End of the day blokes will tend to be more honest and not conform to social expectations.

i voted male and no by the way.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.