Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Homophobia and gender Watch

• View Poll Results: Are you homophobic?
    No and I'm female
    41.12%
    No and I'm male
    46.45%
    Yes and I'm female
    3.85%
    Yes and I'm male
    8.58%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robbo3045)
    I bet your not against smoking hot lesbians though. Typical double standard.
    Lesbians do nothing for me. I don't see why guys go crazy when they see 2 girls kissing or whatever.

(Original post by Diamond Diva)
    Well, you are from Jamaica.
    So.

If 2 people what a same sex relationship, it doesn't have anything to do with me. It doesn't mean that I have to agree with it.

ReputationRep:
    I think that religious people who are homophobic will try to be "all loving" and as such they probably would vote no. Men are more homophobic towards gay men, women towards gay women, but I think that is kind of arrogant in a way?

ReputationRep:
    Nothing against gay or lesbian couples, well, It makes me cringe a little bit to see 2 guys kissing. I dont know why, just does. Nothing that I would hold against them though

ReputationRep:
    I'm female, and no.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I often have a good laugh and brilliant banter with Gay people.
    I know a lad, drives a Sport Ford Focus, plays for a footy team, has the deepest voice going, plans to join the Military and is gay.
    Camp people I dislike, and I also dislike gays grabbing my tackle in Gay bars... long story resulting in my ejection from a club :o:
    Oddly he was the "jock" in High School :rofl:
    Bi's are a lot less likely to enjoy some banter.
    Lesbians are awesome.

ReputationRep:
    I think homosexuality is fine. But I find quite a lot of homosexual men to be very irritating.

ReputationRep:
    Male and I believe marriage should be kept between men and women because gay marriages could lead to marriages between a man and a dead octopus and who wants to see that, WHERE'S THE YIN FOR THE YANG?

[I joke, I voted no :cool: ]

ReputationRep:
    I'm bi/pan so no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ocelotrevs)
    I do not agree with homosexuality, I do not like it. However, I'm not homophobic as I don't have an irrational fear of homosexuals where I jump up and down, or run away when I see them.
    That is homophobia. Homophobia is a made up word; it means hatred or dislike of homosexuals and homosexuality, not the irrational fear of homosexuals. In strict linguistic terms, homophobia actually should mean 'the irrational fear of that which is the same,' not homosexuals.

(Original post by mipegg)
    Nothing against gay or lesbian couples, well, It makes me cringe a little bit to see 2 guys kissing. I dont know why, just does. Nothing that I would hold against them though
    My mate had the idea of us going into a catholic church on a Sunday, sitting in the back pews and making out :ninja:

(Before anyone gets up in arms about this, we never did it and probably never will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terryw)
    Nope, I often have a good laugh and brilliant banter with Gay people.
    I know a lad, drives a Sport Ford Focus, plays for a footy team, has the deepest voice going, plans to join the Military and is gay.
    Camp people I dislike, and I also dislike gays grabbing my tackle in Gay bars... long story resulting in my ejection from a club :o:
    Oddly he was the "jock" in High School :rofl:
    Bi's are a lot less likely to enjoy some banter.
    Lesbians are awesome.
    Why are we less likely to enjoy banter? :confused: I love banter, I banter with the best of the bantering banterers. I'll out-banter your banter any bantering day of the week

(Original post by cowsgoquack)
    I think homosexuality is fine. But I find quite a lot of homosexual men to be very irritating.
    Yeah, but a lot of heterosexual men (and women) are irritating too, what's your point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jace Falco)
    Why are we less likely to enjoy banter? :confused: I love banter, I banter with the best of the bantering banterers. I'll out-banter your banter any bantering day of the week
    There are of course some bi's whom enjoy to talk to people, but the 4 I have ever met were quiet, mumbled lots, were very self conscious and only really spoke when they needed to.

Banter King Ay :wut: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    Bear-baiting and the mistreatment of women were traditional. Some traditions arent worth keeping.

And the rest of your comments: Just What? Gay marriage is clearly not a slippery slope to zoophilia consent being the key. And the yin and yang bit . These are some seriously nutty beliefs.
    I do think gay marriage is a problem.
    It is difficult thing to balance. Homosexuality is against Christian beliefs; and for two gay couples to get wedded there is going to cause resentment in the church.
    If it is legalised in this country, it will cause problems. It will be viewed as pandering to one group, and that they have a greater right than the other. For that reason, it will further segregation is society.

ReputationRep:
    There are of course some bi's whom enjoy to talk to people, but the 4 I have ever met were quiet, mumbled lots, were very self conscious and only really spoke when they needed to.

Banter King Ay :wut: :p:
    Is that down to their sexuality though?

(Original post by 4G_dollars)
    It is difficult thing to balance. Homosexuality is against Christian beliefs; and for two gay couples to get wedded there is going to cause resentment in the church.
    If it is legalised in this country, it will cause problems. It will be viewed as pandering to one group, and that they have a greater right than the other. For that reason, it will further segregation is society.
    A fair point, but on the opposite side, it could be seen as pandering to the Christians if gays are denied the right to marriage, which in itself furthers segregation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jace Falco)
    Is that down to their sexuality though?

Considering 4/4 bisexuals I have met are like this...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    Because marriage is traditionally an institution between a man and a woman with the purpose to produce offspring. It kind of makes a mockery of the institution of marriage because, and I'll say what I think, homosexuality is not a compatible sexual (genital incompatibility) and spiritual (Yin and Yang) relationship as heterosexuality is. I think also that once when we have gay marriage is opens up a slippery slope to other, less desirable, forms of marriage (e.g. zoophilia and necrophilia).

It's not saying that I hate gays however.
    You seem to be suggesting that:

1) Infertile people or those who don't want children shouldn't be allowed to get married.
    2) Homosexual couples love each other less than heterosexual couples.
    3) Getting married to someone of the same sex is morally equivalent to ******* a dead dog.

I would say 1 is pretty idiotic, and 2 and 3 are pretty morally abhorant and homophobic.

Firstly I don't see how giving one minority group the same rights as everyone else is 'pandering' to them. Seems more like up til now we've been pandering to homophobes and the religious.

Secondly why should we give a damn about Christian beliefs? If they want to have weird beliefs in the privacy of their own home I'm fine with that, but I don't see why said weird beliefs should influence legislation.

I also take issue with this idea that marriage is a Christian thing. Marriage is first off a legal contract and secondly a way to both publicly and privately announce how you feel about someone else. Almost every society in the world, be they pagan, polytheist, monotheist or atheist have some kind of marriage. Christianity rocks up 2000 years ago and suddenly claims they have a monopoly on the whole thing. I don't think so.

ReputationRep:
    Could still be entirely down to chance. To put it in scientific terms, four is a very small sample size, and hardly representative.

(Original post by MancStudent098)
    You seem to be suggesting that:

1) Infertile people or those who don't want children shouldn't be allowed to get married.
    2) Homosexual couples love each other less than heterosexual couples.
    3) Getting married to someone of the same sex is morally equivalent to ******* a dead dog.

I would say 1 is pretty idiotic, and 2 and 3 are pretty morally abhorant and homophobic.

Firstly I don't see how giving one minority group the same rights as everyone else is 'pandering' to them. Seems more like up til now we've been pandering to homophobes and the religious.

Secondly why should we give a damn about Christian beliefs? If they want to have weird beliefs in the privacy of their own home I'm fine with that, but I don't see why said weird beliefs should influence legislation.

I also take issue with this idea that marriage is a Christian thing. Marriage is first off a legal contract and secondly a way to both publicly and privately announce how you feel about someone else. Almost every society in the world, be they pagan, polytheist, monotheist or atheist have some kind of marriage. Christianity rocks up 2000 years ago and suddenly claims they have a monopoly on the whole thing. I don't think so.
    Very good points, all. You get my rep tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    I am tolerant of people of all sexual orientations, not just homosexuals.
    People should have the freedom to do what they want within a fair law, and not feel ashamed to do so.

The whole debate about homosexuality displayed in nature is a very interesting one too, especially when homophobes deem it as unnatural.
    If I was born with an "unconventional" sexual interest I wouldn't want that to be the single factor people judged me on.

If a church doesnt want to marry a gay couple I wouldnt force them. I think what you are saying is equivalent to saying lets not stop aparteid as it is pandering to blacks.

All gays are looking for is equal treatment, not favourable in any way, and this is the way that any human deserves to be treated.

ReputationRep:
    Every girl I've ever known named Louise has been blonde. Doesn't prove a thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spanghew)
    Every girl I've ever known named Louise has been blonde. Doesn't prove a thing.
    Jesus I know, I did say "the ones I have met", I didn't say all of them were.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.