Turn on thread page Beta

Homophobia and gender watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Are you homophobic?
    No and I'm female
    41.12%
    No and I'm male
    46.45%
    Yes and I'm female
    3.85%
    Yes and I'm male
    8.58%

ReputationRep:
    I don't dislike gay people, but sometimes when I see them kiss a little bit of sick comes up in my throat involuntarily. I cannot stand the gays that let their sexuality dictate their very being; the way they act, the job they do, and the way they dress, it's just pathetic and shows them to be uninteresting people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    I'm sorry but I whilst not being homophobic or religious I do have to ask why is it that you can call religious practice a 'weird belief' but it is abhorrently wrong for a relgious person to refer to homosexuality as a 'weird belief/practice.'
    Therefore from a legal point of view I am just wondering why you believe that a homosexuals opinion should carry more weight than that of a religious person?
    Believing the world was made by a beardy man* on a cloud, and that said beardy man has preferences on where we should or shouldn't stick our ding dongs is, i'm sorry, just plain weird.

Having a biological impulse to make love to another man (or woman, or both) is just a fact of some people's genetic make up. Calling it weird is like calling someone with a particular skin or hair colour weird.

Ok, admittedly a predisposition to believe crazy superstitious nonsense is at least to some extent a fact of our biological make up as well but the beliefs themselves quite clearly aren't.

*NB, not the Beardyman, because that would be ******* awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancStudent098)
    Believing the world was made by a beardy man* on a cloud, and that said beardy man has preferences on where we should or shouldn't stick our ding dongs is, i'm sorry, just plain weird.

Having a biological impulse to make love to another man (or woman, or both) is just a fact of some people's genetic make up. Calling it weird is like calling someone with a particular skin or hair colour weird.

Ok, admittedly a predisposition to believe crazy superstitious nonsense is at least to some extent a fact of our biological make up as well but the beliefs themselves quite clearly aren't.

NB, not the Beardyman, because that would be ******* awesome.
    It's not a fact. There's no proof that homosexuality is genetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spanghew)
    It's not a fact. There's no proof that homosexuality is genetic.
    I believe the department of Common Sense at the University of the Bloody Obvious has published a very informative peer reviewed paper on the matter.

It's quite lengthy and it has long words in it so I'll summarise with the following quote from Professor Self Evident: "Gay people don't just wake up one morning and choose to be gay because they feel like being difficult or think it's going to give them an easy in to the fashion industry, they were born that way, any moron can see that".

So there we go, turns out I'm right and you're wrong. Who'd have guessed.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not homophobic but then I am very biased. I don't get why some people can't appreciate a diverse society - wouldn't it be boring if we were all the same?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    I don't dislike gay people, but sometimes when I see them kiss a little bit of sick comes up in my throat involuntarily. I cannot stand the gays that let their sexuality dictate their very being; the way they act, the job they do, and the way they dress, it's just pathetic and shows them to be uninteresting people.
    One of the stupidest things I've ever read.

ReputationRep:
    ahhh I guess the California Proposition 8 hit a cord with you ey Vlad?

ReputationRep:
    I voted no, I struggle to understand the reasoning behind homophobia. (apart from the idea that they may just be very unsure of their own orientation or other conflicting beliefs within their own self)

I know I worded that weird. I'm tired

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
    One of the stupidest things I've ever read.
    Care to elaborate? Or do you like it when people are so boring they have to look to the fact they kiss boys to find an identity?

ReputationRep:
    another bender thread.. u like to take it up the bum get over yourself!

ReputationRep:
    Care to elaborate? Or do you like it when people are so boring they have to look to the fact they kiss boys to find an identity?
    Your sexuality is an inherent part of your identity, although I would agree that you shouldn't attempt to make it who you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dzeh)
    another bender thread.. u like to take it up the bum get over yourself!
    You're not a **** at all..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    You're not a **** at all..
    :confused: "Troll" is five letters long.

ReputationRep:
    Someone like Alan Carr is stereotypically gay. He sounds gay, dresses gay, acts gay yet is an undeniably interesting and funny person.

What you find annoying is not ones sexual orientation, just ones personal characteristics. For Example, David Walliams acts very camp yet is straight. So, I don't see the link you make. Unless, you think it is fine for hetosexual people to act this way and not gay ones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    :confused: "Troll" is five letters long.
    Try "C U Next Tuesday".

ReputationRep:
    I believe the department of Common Sense at the University of the Bloody Obvious has published a very informative peer reviewed paper on the matter.

It's quite lengthy and it has long words in it so I'll summarise with the following quote from Professor Self Evident: "Gay people don't just wake up one morning and choose to be gay because they feel like being difficult or think it's going to give them an easy in to the fashion industry, they were born that way, any moron can see that".

Erm... I think you'll actually find that numerous studies into the causes of homosexuality have failed actually to provide conclusive proof as to whether it's caused by genetics or environment. Most intelligent people believe that it's a complex mixture of the two.

You seem deeply misinformed, so I suggest that you actually read into the subject. It's really quite fascinating, and will prevent you from making unfounded comments in the future.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a masculist. To be homophobic would contradict my belief. The poll results of males and females Homophobia inspires an ideological process which restricts the rights of men, simply because of their sexuality. Females embracing male culture is referred to as freedom by most. Males embracing their feminine side is seen by many with ridicule and homophobia. Females are more acceptant of homosexuality within their own gender than males are. This makes society very unfair. Before you make a homophobic comment, think how much the ideology restricts freedom on the life of a male.

I don't see the point of being homophobic. You cannot change someone's sexuality now and you can't reverse laws allowing it. These have been passed.

Why shouldn't gay people adopt? They can potentially make better parents than some heterosexual couples. Why should society restrict two people demonstrating their love for one another. More importantly, why should society restrict the choices and freedoms we are born with by treating particular choices with ridicule?

ReputationRep:

Ohhh I absolutely adore this ^^

And you're too right. I am so sick and tired of people just making assumptions based on what pathetic **** they feel or think about why gay people are the way they are. I'm glad some people can see things at face value.

Wise words: Some people are gay. GET OVER IT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Someone like Alan Carr is stereotypically gay. He sounds gay, dresses gay, acts gay yet is an undeniably interesting and funny person.

What you find annoying is not ones sexual orientation, just ones personal characteristics. For Example, David Walliams acts very camp yet is straight. So, I don't see the link you make. Unless, you think it is fine for hetosexual people to act this way and not gay ones?
    I don't find Alan Carr or Graham Norton funny. Their behaviour is a non-stop show, don't be fooled by the fact they behave like that all the time, it is put on. It is the fakeness of it that i'm opposed to, if someone is mildly camp I accept they probably can't help that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spanghew)
    Erm... I think you'll actually find that numerous studies into the causes of homosexuality have failed actually to provide conclusive proof as to whether it's caused by genetics or environment. Most intelligent people believe that it's a complex mixture of the two.

You seem deeply misinformed, so I suggest that you actually read into the subject. It's really quite fascinating, and will prevent you from making unfounded comments in the future.
    Look, I am aware that environment may well be a factor, but it is in lots of stuff. Take height for example. But no-one would take issue with me saying height was just a fact of someone's biology. It seems different rules get applied to homosexuality.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.