Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Homophobia and gender Watch

• View Poll Results: Are you homophobic?
    No and I'm female
    41.12%
    No and I'm male
    46.45%
    Yes and I'm female
    3.85%
    Yes and I'm male
    8.58%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    I don't find Alan Carr or Graham Norton funny. Their behaviour is a non-stop show, don't be fooled by the fact they behave like that all the time, it is put on. It is the fakeness of it that i'm opposed to, if someone is mildly camp I accept they probably can't help that.
    People put on acts all the time. From reserved muscians who turn into rock stars as a stage ego, actors who spend all their time immersed playing someone entirely different, two faced people with more sides to them than a dice.

What you hate is campness then? Regardless of one's orientation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    People put on acts all the time. From reserved muscians who turn into rock stars as a stage ego, actors who spend all their time immersed playing someone entirely different, two faced people with more sides to them than a dice.

What you hate is campness then? Regardless of one's orientation.
    Not even campness, the falseness of campness. I dislike men who are ungenuine blokey blokes as well.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a faghag

Would I be considered homophobic if I was to dislike homosexuality, but have no particular problem with homosexual people?

ReputationRep:
    I am disgusted by the act of same-sex sex (lol) and same-sex kissing, it literally makes me want to vomit. This doesn't make me a homophobe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    Would I be considered homophobic if I was to dislike homosexuality, but have no particular problem with homosexual people?
    Would you be considered racist if you don't like black people but you didn't discriminate against them?

Personally, I'd say no.

ReputationRep:
    no i'm not a homophobic and people who are just piss me right off...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *TheSweetestDrug*)
    no i'm not a homophobic and people who are just piss me right off...
    I am intrigued how did you decide your username?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    That is technically homophobia, yes. It doesn't mean homosexuals are going to stray away from you (so long you don't say or do anything distasteful or hateful towards them), though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4G_dollars)
    I am intrigued how did you decide your username?
    completely irrelevant to the thread.. ...i'm a huge ne-yo fan and its from his song 'because of you'...while we're on the subject..how'd you choose urs..?

ReputationRep:
    completely irrelevant to the thread.. ...i'm a huge ne-yo fan and its from his song 'because of you'...while we're on the subject..how'd you choose urs..?
    Alright, that makes sense lol. He is playing in Manchester or has, I am not sure, he is having an after party...forgot where it was, I let you know, it is on facebook...lol

I hate my name, I would change it. 4g was random, dollar I wanted to make out I was rich, but I am not.

ReputationRep:
    Alright, that makes sense lol. He is playing in Manchester or has, I am not sure, he is having an after party...forgot where it was, I let you know, it is on facebook...lol

I hate my name, I would change it. 4g was random, dollar I wanted to make out I was rich, but I am not.
    going to see him at the o2 on sunday...whooo..not gonna be the afterparty though yeah ur right 4G_dollars is VERY random..!

ReputationRep:
    going to see him at the o2 on sunday...whooo..not gonna be the afterparty though yeah ur right 4G_dollars is VERY random..!
    I know he is doing a gig in manchester, there is an afterparty. I got an invite. I am not even sure when it is or if I can make it. lol..As far as I am aware it is on wednesday, 4play moved to Boutique..I am not sure...

It is raaandom, if I had the opportunity to change it I would.

ReputationRep:
    I know he is doing a gig in manchester, there is an afterparty. I got an invite. I am not even sure when it is or if I can make it. lol..As far as I am aware it is on wednesday, 4play moved to Boutique..I am not sure...

It is raaandom, if I had the opportunity to change it I would.
    an invite to the afterparty...i'm getting jealous...nah don't think many pay much attention to names on tsr..well except you that is..

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I am - although some people would possibly disagree!

I have no problem with homosexuals in general and what they do in the privacy of their relationship is nothing to do with me...that's the way I'd like it to stay thank you! The highly irritating minority of homosexuals who seem to feel it necessary to broadcast their sexuality to the world at large, I do have an issue with...an issue that has nothing to do with them being gay and everything to do with their insistence on making it my business.

I also disagree with gay adoption, however I have no problem with civil partnerships.

ReputationRep:
    an invite to the afterparty...i'm getting jealous...nah don't think many pay much attention to names on tsr..well except you that is..
    It is exclusive as well, and of course you got to buy the tickets etc...he is gonna appear and do few songs...I could get to meet him... an exclusive party, it is the one venue he has agreed to do...

ReputationRep:
    It'd be a bit messed up if I *was* homophobic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diamond Diva)
    Well, you are from Jamaica.
    What the hell does that have to do with anything?

(Original post by LurkerintheDark)
    Put it this way - if I was high up in a company I would never employ an explicitly gay man (or a Muslim, for that matter).
    Which would make you miss out on some potentially highly skilled employees.

(Original post by Elipsis)
    I don't dislike gay people, but sometimes when I see them kiss a little bit of sick comes up in my throat involuntarily. I cannot stand the gays that let their sexuality dictate their very being; the way they act, the job they do, and the way they dress, it's just pathetic and shows them to be uninteresting people.
    Generalisation fail.

(Original post by MancStudent098)
    Look, I am aware that environment may well be a factor, but it is in lots of stuff. Take height for example. But no-one would take issue with me saying height was just a fact of someone's biology. It seems different rules get applied to homosexuality.
    Height is certainly determined in part by genetics but environment has a large part two. Hence why middle and upper class children tend to be taller than lower class children, they have environments which best enourage growth. Genes have also been isolated for height but they haven't been for homosexuality however.

All we know is the hypothalamuses of homosexuals tends to differ, but the same is said of serial killers so that doesn't say much. It's also been shown that the change in shape is a result of a change in sexuality as opposed to a cause.

Also remember that many people start off straight but become homosexual and vice versa. Therefore the environment must have a large role as well as one's biology.

(Original post by trm90)
    That is technically homophobia, yes. It doesn't mean homosexuals are going to stray away from you (so long you don't say or do anything distasteful or hateful towards them), though
    No, I try not to advertize it. It's the concept of being gay that I dislike, but some of the nicest people I know are gay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jace Falco)
    That is homophobia. Homophobia is a made up word; it means hatred or dislike of homosexuals and homosexuality, not the irrational fear of homosexuals. In strict linguistic terms, homophobia actually should mean 'the irrational fear of that which is the same,' not homosexuals.

Can't say that I agree with that.
    Everything defination I have read of the word homophobia means an irrational fear of homosexuals.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.