Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Are there any cures for insomnia?

I think this thread has just cured my insomnia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Singh_2)
    I think this thread has just cured my insomnia.
    ????

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried sleeping tablets?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by βored)
    Have you tried sleeping tablets?
    Nah, my parents won't let me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mist786)
    Nah, my parents won't let me
    Ah, that makes it a bit more tricky then :p:

You could try herbal tablets like this if your parents would prefer.

Um.. or if not you could try cutting out caffeine during the daytime, have a hot drink and a bath before bed, and avoid distractions like television before bedtime?

ReputationRep:
    Reading before bed with the radio or cd on in the background playing quietly and a hot drink

ReputationRep:
    What people have said about sleeping pills, hot drinks, reading etc aren't cures for insomnia, only temporary treatments. The most important thing is finding out what's causing the insomnia and addressing that. Anything bothering you etc?

Beyond that, practice good sleep hygiene. By that, I mean go to bed at around the same time, make sure the room is nice and dark, not too hot and not too cold. Only use the room for sleep, don't read or work etc in bed. Try and relax and wind down for the half hour before you go to bed, don't do any work or use the computer. Have a warm milky drink (non-caffeinated) and get yourself comfy, and try and sleep. If after half an hour or so you're unable to sleep, get up, leave the bedroom and try reading or something for a bit, then try again.

Medication-wise, if you're not allowed to take sleeping pills or you don't want to, you can try just taking something that will make you drowsy, like an antihistamine or night-nurse.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.