Turn on thread page Beta

Friend gone crazy, and a bit violent help! (long post) watch

Ok a bit of history, my friend is about 15 years older than me, in his late 30's we met through his ex boyfriend(I didnt know they were bi at the time just that they were friends) as we lived in same student house.

I thought he was a little strange at first but a nice guy so started hanging around with him.

He suffers from major paranoia and told me stories that growing up his mum loved his 4 sisters and hated him and his 2 brothers to the point that his sisters in their 40's still live at home and are on disability benefits despite going drinking all the time and doing no housework or even cook their own food and get lifts everywhere from his parents, he told me his parents regularly told him he was a mistake and growing up used to hit him often and he was from a rough estate and was constantly beaten up by bullies and his parents called him a wimp.

Hes in his late 30's and part time at uni in his final year but suffers from terrible depression which is why we get on as I have it too.

His ex kept leading him on and then moved back to his hometown as he was doing some assignments so couldnt give him the time of day.

He was so stressed because the upstairs neighbours were on drugs and partying all hours and stomping up and down the fire escape outside his room so one day he cracked and screamed up at them and they ran down the stairs brandishing knifes and kicked his door and threatened to murder him!

At the time I had just moved back home for summer but came back to get some stuff and he came up with me but because hes skint cant afford to go back down(he does want to go thats not a problem)

He has been here 2 weeks but came back tonight so drunk his eyes were blood red and he started saying I was really paid by uni to watch over him, polite at first then started saying he wanted to murder the guys who threatened him with knifes, that politicians should be murdered(he always goes on when sober about conspiracy theorys and such) then started saying he wanted to murder some people in my town. It went on and on with him borderline attacking me, sometimes he would even say it and to watch out and not cross him, then went to bathroom and when he came back splashed my face with what I hope was water.

He eventually packed his bags and said he wanted to walk home(250 miles!) and said it was possible.

So now hes gone but im worried as he has my spare keys so locked door, I dont mind letting him back in but hes a terrible state

I have seen him this way once before about 3 months ago when he said he was wanted for murder as he saw a burning building and tried rescuing the occupants but the police then thought he started fire.

The next morning he apologised and said he gets very paranoid when drinking and gets rid of built up stress.

ReputationRep:
    If you're really good friends and you both have depression, I think you should go along to some sort of help sessions together, Show him some moral support :dontknow:

PS. I don't get what you're asking TSR. You just told it like a story but I don't get what it is that you want us to advise you about.

ReputationRep:
    Seek immediate attention? Inform his parents about this? They still talk to him and care about him, don't they? The cops would do nothing unless he becomes a missing person for like 48 hours though or you file a charge against hime or something. So you're best bet is when he arrives home safely or the next time you contact each other (and it'd best be ASAP), persuade him to get some help. Or bring some help to him. Cause this friend of yours is seriously messed up. Things can get out of control. It's better you act now than regret it later when something drastic happens. Okay, I'm going to go and continue my cryptic remarks elsewhere now.

(Original post by menaa-x)
    If you're really good friends and you both have depression, I think you should go along to some sort of help sessions together, Show him some moral support :dontknow:

PS. I don't get what you're asking TSR. You just told it like a story but I don't get what it is that you want us to advise you about.
    Well I wanted advice as I was stressed out and not sure what to do.

Anyway found him, I came back to my old place to pick up a few things before handing back keys Saturday morning and he wasnt in when I arrived. But just saw him when I went to pick up a pizza I ordered for delivery, he gave me a shocked look probably didnt realise I would come back and I almost didnt! I only did because I needed some things I left that could of waited a few weeks and had to get housing benefit sorted since they somehow think I moved out of area 2 months before I did and are demanding the "overpayments" so came down to see them tommorow.

Anyway he was still in a massive mood, he said he didnt know what happened but I must of really angered him, and that he wont pay for the return ticket(that cost me £33 for him) but would give me £30 for staying at my flat those 2 weeks.

I am still really worried and now upset as he didnt seem to want to know me and he said we arent friends any more and I was trying to ask him why without setting him off and all I managed to get was that he would pay me back the cash he owes me but might not be till september(About £450 he owes and I have £200 left to last till September!)

So im stressing about him paying, he seems the sort that will pay but drinks when stressed so I might get £10 one week, none for 3 weeks then £100 lump sum and as I say I have £200 left of overdraft and need to pay off my credit card £100, and my overdraft which is £600 overdrawn and another overdraft im £1400 overdrawn(Ironically if he paid me what he owes and the £700 insurance I am owed for a break in a few weeks ago, not him btw and sell my pc for about £300-500 and get the £200 owed by another flatmate I would pay off most of my debt!)

Just want comfort and advice.

ReputationRep:
    Be there for him , help him !. Or go along to a proffesional and consult the issue there. Always lok on the bright side though things always get better , you just have to make the effort.

All I can say is good luck in the future , hope all goes well

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.