Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If so, why. If not, why? Does it change with age?

My parents keep telling me how successful some of their friends children have been after university, especially now that I'm home for the summer. "Oh look at that John from the Smiths, he worked in Proctor & Gamble for 2 years then he went to Singapore"

All I want to do when I graduate from uni next year is to just not end up on the dole, clock in, clock off and not starve to death. My parents despise that attitude.

(Original post by The-Real-One)
    If so, why. If not, why? Does it change with age?

My parents keep telling me how successful some of their friends children have been after university, especially now that I'm home for the summer. "Oh look at that John from the Smiths, he worked in Proctor & Gamble for 2 years then he went to Singapore"

All I want to do when I graduate from uni next year is to just not end up on the dole, clock in, clock off and not starve to death. My parents despise that attitude.
    Well, if you aim high, you achieve atleast SOME of what you set out to.

If you aim low, then you achieve almost nothing.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it depends on your definition of ambition. My ambition is to be happy - sometimes that involves trying to get as high as I can, and sometimes it involves sitting back and accepting whatever I get.

With regards to my career, I'd like to get quite high within the company, because I've started at the ideal time for it - it's a small company but growing strongly - but had I not arrived at the right time I'd still prefer to work here on a low level than move elsewhere to chase for more.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. Was just thiking about this. My problem is I'm contrarian. I'm very motivated when it's for me and/or against others. As soon as someone starts dictating the moral order, or making me part of their value system, or says earn my respect, it means nothing to me, that kind of accomplishment will never make me happy. So ambition in that sense of impressing people, no, ambition in doing what I believe in, yes.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to say I'm ambitious. You only live once and I want to make the most of it, do some good for the world in the short time I have. That said, I go through peaks and troughs of motivation - when it comes down to it, it's not the ambition but the hard graft that stems from it which helps you reach such ideals.

ReputationRep:
    This is something i've been thinking a lot about lately.. I used to be really ambitious and had motivation to work hard in school etc but during the last year i've kind of lost my motivation thank god i'm done with finals and got a place at university on a decent course so now all i need to do is get excited about studying again and plan my future

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.