Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadeToBlackout)
    I was somewhat jealous of the arch and anthers that I knew, who often got supervised in pubs.

I've been supervised in the Copper Kettle a fair few times, the supervisor bought me scrambled eggs on toast and some tea.

The reason why was that he'd given me a five-minute ********** for being late and not handing in an adequate essay (I'd hand-written it as an exam practice) when I'd actually been on a delayed train back from London. The tea and toast was an apology.
    Once when my mum visited me we had lunch at the Copper Kettle and there was a supervision going on at the table next to us. The student sounded really pompous and they were both loud and completely ruined our lunch :mad:
    All my supervisions have been around tables in rooms in my college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by menagerie)
    And once I couldn't stop laughing. That wasn't so bad, just kind of funny.
    This has happened to me more than once; it would be okay but it's invariably at something that wasn't even funny in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Wow, that's bad but almost inevitable at some point in the span of a Cambridge degree...

My only sleep related problems came from somehow tiring myself out enough to sleep straight through my alarms and thereby miss two supervisions - both with my DoS :pinch:
    Have done that before too , showed up in jammies an hour late into a 3 hour revision supervision (DoS loves those) after being woken up by a series of calls enquiring where I was.

ReputationRep:
    3 hour revision supervisions? :eek: Surely normal-length ones are bad enough ...

ReputationRep:
    My supervisor once offered me some brandy in a supervision because I had a cold.

Also once got our supervisor to have the supervision in the Avery, and there was an IPL match on at the time which was good to watch...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    My only sleep related problems came from somehow tiring myself out enough to sleep straight through my alarms and thereby miss two supervisions - both with my DoS :pinch:
    Was once 40 mins late for a supervision with my DoS (and the chief examiner for finals that year) because I'd overslept.

He was slightly nonplussed when I said I'd overslept, but then it was a 2pm supervision...

ReputationRep:
    I slept through a 5pm supervision last year...

ReputationRep:
    Best: When my DoS/supervisor saw me in the bar with a pint of shots the night before I had to write my essay and told me my behaviour was 'extraordinary'. Managed to write the essay the next day, and in the supervision he said the essay was my best yet. Had also been out the next night, woke up really hungover and shaking...thought I might be sick but solidered on through the supervision. A proud day.

Worst: I have three. Firstly, a supervision in second year in which my supervisor just looked at me like I was stupid and eventually turned my essay over and said 'let's go back to basics', got a pencil out and tried to dumb everything down for me. Secondly, a revision supervision (with the same supervisor) which I'd written three timed essays for. She told me she couldn't read a word because of my terrible handwriting, so I had to read them all out, and basically worried for the next couple of weeks that the examiners wouldn't be able to read my handwriting. Thirdly, I think it was my last ever supervision, again a revision one, in which I was asked what happened in a chapter of a book...I hadn't prepared, said I didn't know, and the supervisor said 'do you even know what the chapter is CALLED?' To which, again, I had to respond with 'No...' He wrote me an awful supervision report which made my DoS laugh for ages. He said he was worried by how underprepared I was, this was a couple of weeks before my finals. Nice.

Generally, though, I really enjoyed all of my supervisions and found most of my supervisors to be really helpful, interesting and encouraging. I'm definitely glad I chose to go to Cambridge, and that's partly because of the supervisions.

ReputationRep:
    Worst supervision - First Russian one of the year, in which we were practicing directions. My DoS asked me to explain how to get from the hotel to the Red Square on the map. I knew the words for left and right but hugely struggle with telling my left from my right quickly, got upset because she thought I hadn't prepared when actually I'm just an idiot, and ended up banging my head on the book in frustration. A keen runner up for the title was a Spanish lit supervision. I had a class at Sidg at 11am and the supervision at Emma at 12, cycled back in the bucketing rain, dripped my way into my supervisor's room in which the window was open, shivered my way through a barrage of criticisms of my written Spanish - ten minutes before the end, when he'd spent 20 minutes going through my partner's essay, he looked up as if he'd not noticed I was there before and said 'You do look rather cold, do you want to go and get changed?'

ReputationRep:
    Ive had my supervision partner cry and storm out. The supervisor was a genius and thus a total ******* if you couldn't do much of the work. First 30 seconds often involved him totally tearing apart any effort you put in "zis is all rong end zis also eez all nyuwt feeneesh". I was pretty close to punching him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zedliv)
    Once when my mum visited me we had lunch at the Copper Kettle and there was a supervision going on at the table next to us. The student sounded really pompous and they were both loud and completely ruined our lunch :mad:
    All my supervisions have been around tables in rooms in my college.
    That sounded like a good supervision. Sound pompous (which I can't do) and sprouting out a lot of big words is cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whiplash)
    Ive had my supervision partner cry and storm out. The supervisor was a genius and thus a total ******* if you couldn't do much of the work. First 30 seconds often involved him totally tearing apart any effort you put in "zis is all rong end zis also eez all nyuwt feeneesh". I was pretty close to punching him.
    Sheer genius, the supervisor. I think you need the outrageous experience for supervisors - it's what makes supervisions great.

I hated half of my supervisions however, some are useless and a waste of time - usually they go on about the bloody basics far too long or read the handout back to me, yes I can read thank you very much. Luckily I've been able to skivve those without much problem.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.