Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I won't put a cap on immigration vows Alan Johnson Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am not convinced that the majority of immigrants who come her are good for the economy or us. 9/10 the wives never work in their lives, and they have at least 4-10 children. A man on a minimum wage job will never cover the cost of this in taxes, ever. So really immigration is very good for employers who get to use cheap labour, but bad for the working/lower middle classes who have to share an estate with these people. The government has already proven it cannot handle an influx of around 1 million people, let alone 10 million.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moony12345)
    i understand that, perhaps i worded myself wrong :P
    i understand the problem, but i don't think it is fair to control where people live. surely people would stop coming once we do actually get full.
    Have you seen where these people come from? They have no concept of what full is. It doesn't occur to them to limit their numbers despite the fact they cannot provide for that many people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    I am not convinced that the majority of immigrants who come her are good for the economy or us. 9/10 the wives never work in their lives, and they have at least 4-10 children. A man on a minimum wage job will never cover the cost of this in taxes, ever. So really immigration is very good for employers who get to use cheap labour, but bad for the working/lower middle classes who have to share an estate with these people. The government has already proven it cannot handle an influx of around 1 million people, let alone 10 million.
    I dont mind who I share my estate with ( not mine in that sense). 9/10 British people who live on it dont work either. But yes, there should be a cap on immigration. How many more people can this country hold, isnt there already something like 60 million people living in Britain?.I"m not racist in the slightest, but surely theres has to be a limit?.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    I dont mind who I share my estate with ( not mine in that sense). 9/10 British people who live on it dont work either. But yes, there should be a cap on immigration. How many more people can this country hold, isnt there already something like 60 million people living in Britain?.I"m not racist in the slightest, but surely theres has to be a limit?.
    Good for you. I on the other hand don't appreciate waiting a few hours for a GP or a hospital bed, or sending my children to a school that spends the first half of the lesson carrying out crowd control and the second half teaching basic English, or the spike in crime that follows immigrants around like a bad smell. The problem really is that once immigrants start to take over your estate it wouldn't be yours for very long. Labour keep telling us that they will integrate when they get down to 2nd and 3rd generation, but the problem is with the steady influx of new blood they never have to integrate.

ReputationRep:
    i understand that, perhaps i worded myself wrong :P
    i understand the problem, but i don't think it is fair to control where people live. surely people would stop coming once we do actually get full.
    You don't think people from poor countries that are overcrowded would rather live in a rich country that is overcrowded? That seems very naive and short-sighted to me.

By your logic (no control on where people live at all) if everyone wanted to live on this Isle of Wight we shouldn't take account of the public interest and stop them, which is plainly ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    You don't think people from poor countries that are overcrowded would rather live in a rich country that is overcrowded? That seems very naive and short-sighted to me.

By your logic (no control on where people live at all) if everyone wanted to live on this Isle of Wight we shouldn't take account of the public interest and stop them, which is plainly ridiculous.
    and with your logic, why the hell would everyone want to live on the isle of wight?
    i just think that it isn't fair to say "no you can't live here. we live here." especially when it comes to asylum seekers.
    and isn't it the point of the EU? to make europe into europe and not into seperate countires next door to each other?

ReputationRep:
    and with your logic, why the hell would everyone want to live on the isle of wight?
    i just think that it isn't fair to say "no you can't live here. we live here." especially when it comes to asylum seekers.
    and isn't it the point of the EU? to make europe into europe and not into seperate countires next door to each other?
    The only way any country has survived throughout history is through banding together against other countries. It might sound or even be racist but it really gets on my nerves that there is no where I can go that is 100% white, I mean Pakistani's can go back to Pakistan if they ever get sick of white behaviour, where can I go? I'm sure if such a place existed it would be one of the nicest places on earth and they would just force their way in there too.

ReputationRep:
    The only way any country has survived throughout history is through banding together against other countries. It might sound or even be racist but it really gets on my nerves that there is no where I can go that is 100% white, I mean Pakistani's can go back to Pakistan if they ever get sick of white behaviour, where can I go? I'm sure if such a place existed it would be one of the nicest places on earth and they would just force their way in there too.
    yes it does sound racist.
    and what about almost all of the south of the USA?

ReputationRep:
    yes it does sound racist.
    and what about almost all of the south of the USA?
    The south of USA is 25% black, and 10-20% Latina?

ReputationRep:
    both sides to this are ridiculous. immigration is good for the economy in some ways. it also puts pressure on our services in some ways. i doubt anyone here actually knows what the uk's carrying capacity is, it's all speculative.

also, lrn2globalisation. what alan johnson said is right. we have the right to go work anywhere in the eu just the same as the european immigrants. welcome to a new, smaller world, expand your horizons, not all dark people are terrorists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frost3dbutts)
    both sides to this are ridiculous. immigration is good for the economy in some ways. it also puts pressure on our services in some ways. i doubt anyone here actually knows what the uk's carrying capacity is.
    Given that there is a shortage of housing and public services already, perhaps we should get on with better serving the 60 million citizens we already have?

ReputationRep:
    more like an arbitrary cap on the number of brown people we let in

ReputationRep:
    Given that there is a shortage of housing and public services already, perhaps we should get on with better serving the 60 million citizens we already have?
    letting people in does not impede the gov't's ability to improve social services.

the shortage of housing isn't only caused by immigration, btw, and not only by these large immigrant families, it's more because more people are choosing to live alone (pensioners and especially the "young" age group).

and actually, in addition to my above point, immigrants hardly put any pressure on health services because most of them are young (and so usually fit) males, who don't need extensive medical care. schools, yes because of the number of children/language problems.

Would you mind immigration if we didn't have the welfare state, i.e. if an immigrant here HAD to be working because there's no alternative. If they had to pay for servises rather than them all being nationalised and free ...

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to Globalisation, you're late. The only way countries in this century are going to survive is by working together with other countries.

Deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frost3dbutts)
    letting people in does not impede the gov't's ability to improve social services.

the shortage of housing isn't only caused by immigration, btw, and not only by these large immigrant families, it's more because more people are choosing to live alone (pensioners and especially the "young" age group).

and actually, in addition to my above point, immigrants hardly put any pressure on health services because most of them are young (and so usually fit) males, who don't need extensive medical care. schools, yes because of the number of children/language problems.
    Immigrants hardly put any pressure on public health services? What about hospitals where pregnant women are sent away because they are full of immigrants? Or the schools that have to cater for over 50 languages? I'm aware there are other things that are causing a housing shortages, but it doesn't matter, why would we want to make it worse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    Would you mind immigration if we didn't have the welfare state, i.e. if an immigrant here HAD to be working because there's no alternative. If they had to pay for servises rather than them all being nationalised and free ...
    I wouldn't mind as much, but I don't think i'd like to get rid of all our services.

I wouldn't mind as much, but I don't think i'd like to get rid of all our services.
    Its privatising them, not abolishing them! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will.)
    Welcome to Globalisation, you're late. The only way countries in this century are going to survive is by working together with other countries.

Deal with it.
    Letting their citizens live here indiscriminately is not what I would call working together. We make a lot of money through cooperation with China, but that doesn't mean we need to give the 1-2 billion chinese citizens a free pass to come and live here.

ReputationRep:
    ITT : Mostly brainwashed liberals.

All this globalisation talk further proves that the leaders of our country do not even act within our interests anymore- yet nobody cares.

Our elite realise they are ruling over ruins,and are hoping to keep the British people further subdued despite their apathetic and non-patriotic actions.

Some of you are brainwashed to such an extent you seem to feel it is racist to oppose immigration. Is this really what my generation is going to amount to in the future?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.