Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I won't put a cap on immigration vows Alan Johnson Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    Its privatising them, not abolishing them!
    Surely we would end up with loads of sick, uneducated immigrants everywhere. Crime would be insanely high if we didn't help them the second they came off the plane/boat/coach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Immigrants hardly put any pressure on public health services? What about hospitals where pregnant women are sent away because they are full of immigrants? Or the schools that have to cater for over 50 languages? I'm aware there are other things that are causing a housing shortages, but it doesn't matter, why would we want to make it worse?
    you have failed to read and understand my post. that's only maternity units, and immigrants pay taxes like everyone else so taxes --> nhs. and don't be ridiculous, 50 languages in 1 school, if you had read my post instead of being so angry you couldn't even finish it you would have noticed i said already about the school pressures.
    the point is things aren't going to "go downhill" because of any immigration - it all depends on the government's ability to manage the changes in pressures on services. inb4 "i hate gordon brown/labour!1"

ReputationRep:
    Letting their citizens live here indiscriminately is not what I would call working together. We make a lot of money through cooperation with China, but that doesn't mean we need to give the 1-2 billion chinese citizens a free pass to come and live here.
    citizens from outside the eu are not allowed to move freely within the eu, i believe we have a points based, discriminatory system, letting people in from outside the eu only when there are shortages that can only be filled by them. you don't even understand how immigration happens in the uk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frost3dbutts)
    citizens from outside the eu are not allowed to move freely within the eu, i believe we have a points based, discriminatory system, letting people in from outside the eu only when there are shortages that can only be filled by them. you don't even understand how immigration happens in the uk.
    EU people can move in indiscriminately can they not? Which is what he was referring to. China was a separate example.

ReputationRep:
    you have failed to read and understand my post. that's only maternity units, and immigrants pay taxes like everyone else so taxes --> nhs. and don't be ridiculous, 50 languages in 1 school, if you had read my post instead of being so angry you couldn't even finish it you would have noticed i said already about the school pressures.
    the point is things aren't going to "go downhill" because of any immigration - it all depends on the government's ability to manage the changes in pressures on services. inb4 "i hate gordon brown/labour!1"
    I'm not part of the Labour hating group. I just don't think any government will have the capability to cope with a surge in population of 10 million. I am well aware that they pay taxes as well, but tax on a 12k a year income for a 5 person family will be negative to the tune of around 20k, something everyone else will have to cover.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    EU people can move in indiscriminately can they not? Which is what he was referring to. China was a separate example.
    you're right, I am sorry.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand? I understand that the area I live in is swamped with immigrants who have no skills whatsoever. Movement from outside the EU is very hard to restrict anyway, because it's just a case of hoping on a boat from Africa to Greece then making your way through Europe. It's not an easy trip to make but if a few million people make it per year at least 1 million of them will get through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Then consider what will happen to British roads if we have another ten million people. Consider the extra pollution, the extra demand for (and thus increased cost of) houses.
    So do you think its right that millions more people are confined to living standards far below that of the poverty line in Britain, and forced to live in countries with no civil liberties, so that you have to spend slightly less on a house?

And what gives someone born in Britain more of a right to pollute/ drive up the price of houses in Britain than someone born outside of Britain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voluntas Mos Victum)
    This.

Those most in favour of the multicultural experiment are those who live furthest from it, which means every mainstream politician who finds themself cosily tucked into some 100% British area.

:ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8 is enough)
    So do you think its right that millions more people are confined to living standards far below that of the poverty line in Britain, and forced to live in countries with no civil liberties, so that you have to spend slightly less on a house?

And what gives someone born in Britain more of a right to pollute/ drive up the price of houses in Britain than someone born outside of Britain?
    Eerr... welcome to life, the real world. Get this communist fairytale out of your mind. Millions of people have been killed in the Congo's own holocaust, millions of people are dying of starvation everyday yet you still have enough money to afford a computer and an internet connection...

RACIST!!! NAZI SCUM!!!

...see? Fairytale land doesn't equal real life. Get over it.

ReputationRep:
    The south of USA is 25% black, and 10-20% Latina?
    alabama - possibly the modt white-supremist mplace in the world?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moony12345)
    alabama - possibly the modt white-supremist mplace in the world?
    It isn't about white supremacy. Either way, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about, Alabama has one of the highest percentage of blacks in the USA, at around 25-30%.

ReputationRep:
    Saving the world is a completely different problem. If you think that Lifeboat Britain is the answer to world poverty you'll get a rude awakening when you try and find accommodation for yourself and your family in a few years time, when you try and commute to work in a reasonable time from the postage stamp-sized hovel you will be able to afford.

Nothing at all. But Britain's problems will be significantly more manageable to solve without an extra ten million people to add to them by putting extra stress on, for instance, the road/rail infrastructure.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't about white supremacy. Either way, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about, Alabama has one of the highest percentage of blacks in the USA, at around 25-30%.
    even so, i would estimate that among it's white people, there is a much higher percentage of racists compared to other places.
    all i'm saying is you may fit in there a bit better.

ReputationRep:
    just a thought... what's to stop British people emigrating if they hate it so much here?

ReputationRep:
    even so, i would estimate that among it's white people, there is a much higher percentage of racists compared to other places.
    You're being absolutely ridiculous. Nothing he has said is in any way racist. You are a sad reflection of modern Britain.

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing wrong with wanting to avoid the bs that generally follows minorities around, such as crime and poor public services. It is very strange how what you call 'racism' is generally found in areas with a higher than average percentage of minorities, could that be because they are a hassle to live with? It's not like i'm a KKK member, I don't hate them, I just don't want to live in the same area as immigrants because it brings down my quality of life.

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing wrong with wanting to avoid the bs that generally follows minorities around, such as crime and poor public services. It is very strange how what you call 'racism' is generally found in areas with a higher than average percentage of minorities, could that be because they are a hassle to live with? It's not like i'm a KKK member, I don't hate them, I just don't want to live in the same area as immigrants because it brings down my quality of life.
    i'm sorry. i understand your point now.
    before you described it as "the behaviour" of the minorities.
    but i understand with crime etc.
    sorry, i get a little worked up sometimes:p:

ReputationRep:
    just a thought... what's to stop British people emigrating if they hate it so much here?
    I believe we have already been discussing this; with you trying very poorly to suggest countries to live in that are 99% white.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 300mg)
    Eerr... welcome to life, the real world. Get this communist fairytale out of your mind. Millions of people have been killed in the Congo's own holocaust, millions of people are dying of starvation everyday yet you still have enough money to afford a computer and an internet connection...

RACIST!!! NAZI SCUM!!!

...see? Fairytale land doesn't equal real life. Get over it.
    how does what you're saying have any relation to my post at all? I was saying that its wrong to effectively keep people in poverty as we refuse to slightly lower our living standards. Then you accuse me of denying that poverty and genocides exist for some reason.

Just because something happens doesn't mean it should happen? Your post is ridiculous. Also I'm not sure how my argument was in any way communist

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.