Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    I believe we have already been discussing this; with you trying very poorly to suggest countries to live in that are 99% white.
    how about somewhere like marbella or benidorm then? basically britain with sun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8 is enough)
    how does what you're saying have any relation to my post at all? I was saying that its wrong to effectively keep people in poverty as we refuse to slightly lower our living standards. Then you accuse me of denying that poverty and genocides exist for some reason.

Just because something happens doesn't mean it should happen? Your post is ridiculous. Also I'm not sure how my argument was in any way communist
    What’s right and wrong is entirely subjective so irrelevant. But I would say its wrong for a government not to put its own people first, there are other organisations out there such as the UN to tackle world poverty.

What he was getting at (I think) is that in the real word right and wrong do not matter in the slightest

ReputationRep:
    Letting their citizens live here indiscriminately is not what I would call working together. We make a lot of money through cooperation with China, but that doesn't mean we need to give the 1-2 billion chinese citizens a free pass to come and live here.
    Is anyone saying we should give 1,000,000,000 Chinese people a free pass to come and live here? Why would 1,000,000,000 Chinese want to come and live here when their nation is going to surpass America by 2028 (when the UK will have 70,000,000 people according to the article) as the strongest economic nation in the world.

ReputationRep:
    I don't why everybody in this country is touchy feely about immigration, in Dubai (England's new Spain, god PLEASE FORBID) migrant workers have outnumbered its citizens yet no one is going out with pitch forks and torches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moony12345)
    how about somewhere like marbella or benidorm then? basically britain with sun.
    I couldn't think of anywhere i'd like to live less. It's attracts the worst British people there are; people who go to Spain to live a British life without even learning Spanish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will.)
    Is anyone saying we should give 1,000,000,000 Chinese people a free pass to come and live here? Why would 1,000,000,000 Chinese want to come and live here when their nation is going to surpass America by 2028 (when the UK will have 70,000,000 people according to the article) as the strongest economic nation in the world.
    The point was we can milk globalisation for everything its worth without letting millions of people come to our country to live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renner)
    What’s right and wrong is entirely subjective so irrelevant. But I would say its wrong for a government not to put its own people first, there are other organisations out there such as the UN to tackle world poverty.

What he was getting at (I think) is that in the real word right and wrong do not matter in the slightest
    On what basis do you suggest that right and wrong are entirely subjective? So by your logic, is it right for me to murder someone, as "right and wrong are entirely subjective"?

And why should a government put its own people first, is that not racist?

Whether right and wrong matter or not in the real world doesn't mean they shouldn't matter, and as this discussion is a normative one the point is irrelevant

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't think of anywhere i'd like to live less. It's attracts the worst British people there are; people who go to Spain to live a British life without even learning Spanish.
    you're quite picky aren't you. "find me a place with a high percentage of whites"
    i found one.

ReputationRep:
    On what basis do you suggest that right and wrong are entirely subjective? So by your logic, is it right for me to murder someone, as "right and wrong are entirely subjective"?

Whether right and wrong matter or not in the real world doesn't mean they shouldn't matter, and as this discussion is a normative one the point is irrelevant
    Because they've been paying taxes their whole lives. They've earned the right to be put first.

ReputationRep:
    No,it isn't racist in the slightest.

ReputationRep:
    The only way any country has survived throughout history is through banding together against other countries. It might sound or even be racist but it really gets on my nerves that there is no where I can go that is 100% white, I mean Pakistani's can go back to Pakistan if they ever get sick of white behaviour, where can I go? I'm sure if such a place existed it would be one of the nicest places on earth and they would just force their way in there too.
    I wonder how ethnic minorities feel when they go to places that are 100% white, with limited English, financial resources......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Because they've been paying taxes their whole lives. They've earned the right to be put first.
    Ah, right. So how much you contribute to a government in monetary terms should lead to greater political representation.

I assume, therefore, that you are in favour of a class-based voting system, stricter laws and less rights for the poor as compared to the rich, etc.?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moony12345)
    you're quite picky aren't you. "find me a place with a high percentage of whites"
    i found one.
    Marbella doesn't have a high percentage of whites lol. It has always been a scene of ethnic conflict because it's where the African Muslim population has fed into Europe...

ReputationRep:
    Ah, right. So how much you contribute to a government in monetary terms should lead to greater political representation.

I assume, therefore, that you are in favour of a class-based voting system, stricter laws and less rights for the poor as compared to the rich, etc.?
    I never mentioned political representation.

I'm intrigued as to what you think is racist about the government putting its own people first. Race has absolutely nothing to do with it; nationality, however, does.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2:
    maybe because its their job to do whats best for the citizens of their country!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Saving the world is a completely different problem. If you think that Lifeboat Britain is the answer to world poverty you'll get a rude awakening when you try and find accommodation for yourself and your family in a few years time, when you try and commute to work in a reasonable time from the postage stamp-sized hovel you will be able to afford.

Nothing at all. But Britain's problems will be significantly more manageable to solve without an extra ten million people to add to them by putting extra stress on, for instance, the road/rail infrastructure.
    An extra 10 million people will not mean that I live hours from work and can only afford a "postage stamp-sized hovel", your just exaggerating to make your argument sound more plausible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    I wonder how ethnic minorities feel when they go to places that are 100% white, with limited English, financial resources......
    I'm sure they feel absolutely fine.

The liberal brainwashing most 100% white areas have been subjected to leaves them with a more than accomodating attitude.

Ethnic minorities in white areas are far better off than whites in ethnic ghettos.

ReputationRep:
    how does what you're saying have any relation to my post at all? I was saying that its wrong to effectively keep people in poverty as we refuse to slightly lower our living standards. Then you accuse me of denying that poverty and genocides exist for some reason.

Just because something happens doesn't mean it should happen? Your post is ridiculous. Also I'm not sure how my argument was in any way communist
    Nope, your post and ideology is ridiculous, entirely unachievable and a nice little thought; nothing more. My post was making a mockery.

This is a densely populated island with a high number of immigrants already. Our services are under strain because of the ludicrous number of un-vetted people coming here. There are 6-7 billion people on planet earth, most of them live in bad conditions. We cannot save them all and we cannot use our country as a refugee camp.

We are here. We made this country and that gives us a right - what your saying is effectively making the world borderless which is entirely flawed. As I said, a nice little fairytale that I'm sure will win the minds of some people too ignorant to look beyond the first paragraph.

ReputationRep:
    Well yes it is, differnet cultures around the world have different moral codes. You think it’s wrong to muder, how about if that man is a convicted paedophile, and you catch him with your kids? Or he is a convicted killer and you know he is going to kill again? You see, entirely subjective.

Because we voted them in. And how can that be seen as racist in any way

weather it should or shouldn’t matter is just about the same argument as weather it does or doesn’t matter. I say that on the international stage morality has no place, you either win or you lose and that’s it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1721)
    :facepalm2:
    maybe because its their job to do whats best for the citizens of their country!?!
    Oh dear. The debate is who should government favour (or not). You can't win that debate by stating that its their job to represent one group.
    Either:

1. Your stating a current fact and applying to it a normative sentiment, which is obviously a flaw in reasoning.

or

2. You are merely asserting that governments should do what is best for the citizens of their country with no reasoning, which isn't even an argument

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.