Turn on thread page Beta

I won't put a cap on immigration vows Alan Johnson watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    I don't what kind of education you've been receiving, but ever since my education started I've had to learn about British history, right up until the present day where I'm learning about decolonisation. Nothing really to respect about our past, though.
    I think there is much to respect about Britain's past, including the empire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgecopter)
    Britain is full!

All immigration should be stopped! All white British people should stop breeding because the country is full! No more babies! Abortions for all! To free up some resources in our full country I propose we kill all above the age of 70 because the country is full!

If our country is full then surely we should be stopping people from having kids or something, seeing as we're running out of resources pretty quickly. I mean, you're only tackling 9% of the population here, that wouldn't solve the problem of an overcrowded Britain.

But that doesn't mean they only come to leech off the state like the selfish foreigners that they are. :rolleyes:

Your views are just as polarized as someone who believes that all immigrants are fine upstanding people. The world isn't simply black and white.

Spoiler:
    Show
    OH WAIT FOR YOU IT IS LOL XD
    About 33% of Babies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    I don't think the empire is worthy of respect.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't bother really. This guy is the sort who wants to see Britain as anything but positive. He's the type who hates the nation-state and thinks the world would be better as a stale, globalised, borderless dystopia with a coffee-coloured monoculture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    I don't think the empire is worthy of respect.
    That's an utterly stupid and overly simplistic statement. We got world cricket for one thing, another thing I wouldn't live in Britain had the empire not existed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    I wouldn't bother really. This guy is the sort who wants to see Britain as anything but positive. He's the type who hates the nation-state and thinks the world would be better as a stale, globalised, borderless dystopia with a coffee-coloured monoculture.
    True, I don't understand why Brits are so keen to dismantle and destroy any celebration or understanding of its past...no other country seems to, bar other equally pathetic governments in places like Sweden.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1721)
    i thought this was common knowledge
    I should think the number who did that could comfortably be counted on the fingers of one foot.

ReputationRep:
    About 33% of Babies.
    (Original post by The Telegraph)
    Of the total 669,531 births last year, 146,956 were to mothers born outside the UK. Among these, 25,948, or 3.9 per cent of total births, were to mothers born in Pakistan or Bangladesh, while 33,689, or five per cent, were to mothers born in Europe.
    22% isn't 33%, broseph.

And that's the Telegraph!

ReputationRep:
    The posts that suggest limiting immigration is a good idea are really well thought out and explained. The posts that think limiting it is a bad idea all just jump on to the racism train and don't understand any of the points being made past their own idiocy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8 is enough)
    You really are an idiot
    What a terrible response to his point, you are the one that looks like an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    That's an utterly stupid and overly simplistic statement. We got world cricket for one thing, another thing I wouldn't live in Britain had the empire not existed.
    Ignore Necessarily Benevolent, he's just bitter because I don't agree that being white makes you superior to other races.

It's an opinion, of course, feel free to disagree. The crimes of the British empire are among the worst ever commited. The British Empire is alluded to with pride as if it were some sort of achievement to be proud of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgecopter)
    22% isn't 33%, broseph.

And that's the Telegraph!
    I was talking about ethnic minorities, my mum was born in Britain so she wouldn't have been included in those stats for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Ignore Necessarily Benevolent, he's just bitter because I don't agree that being white makes you superior to other races.
    I don't believe that being white makes you superior to other races. :awesome:

-----

LOL...that, like, destroys your point :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)

It's an opinion, of course, feel free to disagree. The crimes of the British empire are among the worst ever commited. The British Empire is alluded to with pride as if it were some sort of achievement to be proud of.
    It is a double edged swords and was neither a good nor bad thing...it just happened, no crimes, it is just history. Without the empire the world we live in today would be so incredibly different there is no point arguing about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    The only way any country has survived throughout history is through banding together against other countries. It might sound or even be racist but it really gets on my nerves that there is no where I can go that is 100% white, I mean Pakistani's can go back to Pakistan if they ever get sick of white behaviour, where can I go? I'm sure if such a place existed it would be one of the nicest places on earth and they would just force their way in there too.
    This. I'll give +rep but im so far in the red that it will probably mean nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)

its not as if we were the only country colonizing others.
    if britain didnt do it france or someone would have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarve99)
    The posts that suggest limiting immigration is a good idea are really well thought out and explained. The posts that think limiting it is a bad idea all just jump on to the racism train and don't understand any of the points being made past their own idiocy.
    You obviously haven't read the thread very well, then. I have posted my view that our transport infrastructure cannot take an extra ten million people, that we do not have enough space for the extra housing needed and that currently resident young people will be disadvantaged by the resulting massive long-term rise in property prices. Race has nothing to do with it. I object to unrestricted immigration from any source.

ReputationRep:
    I was talking about ethnic minorities, my mum was born in Britain so she wouldn't have been included in those stats for example.
    Wait what I don't get it you're against immigration but you yourself are not ethnically British? lolwhat.jpg

(Original post by Good bloke)
    You obviously haven't read the thread very well, then. I have posted my view that our transport infrastructure cannot take an extra ten million people, that we do not have enough space for the extra housing needed and that currently resident young people will be disadvantaged by the resulting massive long-term rise in property prices. Race has nothing to do with it. I object to unrestricted immigration from any source.
    Would you be against restricted breeding? If our country is getting full, surely we should implement something like China's one-birth-per-family limit or something?

ReputationRep:
    It is a double edged swords and was neither a good nor bad thing...it just happened, no crimes, it is just history. Without the empire the world we live in today would be so incredibly different there is no point arguing about it.
    All fair and true, but we can't just omit details of crimes just because it's a convenience. We learn about the crimes of other countries, why not hear about how the crimes of our own country transformed it into the society it is now?

ReputationRep:
    What can politicians do? As soon as they mention immigration problems, they are immediately branded racist.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2009
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.