Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Okay I'm not panicking about swine flu or anything so dont think that. I woke up yesterday with a really bad throat and I could hardly swallow. I have a runny nose and a cough. I work at an after school club and today I have to do some cover work at the nursery - now I've been blowing my nose quite frequently all day and havent been feeling all that well. The nursery shift was a last minute request from my boss but I dont know whether I should tell her that I've been feeling rough and could I be a risk? I dont want to be ill and I'm not looking for an excuse to stay home.

Also - I hardly ever get colds so I'm a bit caught off guard with this one.

Should i tell my boss???

ReputationRep:
    What are the symptoms of Swine Flu?
    The symptoms of swine flu are similar to those of ordinary flu. They include fever, chills, cough, headache, sore throat, runny nose, aching muscles and joints. Some people with swine flu have also reported vomiting and diarrhoea.

Anyone with such symptoms should stay at home and follow the advice below.

What happens if I become sick?
    You should follow normal sickness absence reporting procedures until further notice.

What to do if you suspect you have Swine Flu?
    Check symptoms by contacting:

www.nhs.uk

Swine Flu Information Line 0800 1 513 513 or
    NHS Direct 0845 46 47

If you are still concerned you should contact your GP, who can provide diagnosis over the phone.

If Swine Flu is confirmed, the GP will provide an authorisation voucher, which your ‘Flu-Friend’ can then take to the designated local collection centre to pick up antivirals.

What are ‘Flu-Friends’?
    It is important for everyone to identify people in advance who can act as ‘flu-friends’. For the small number of people who can’t rely on a ‘flu-friend’ support will come from NHS and social care partners.

Anyone with suspected Swine Flu should NOT visit a GP surgery, Walk-in Centre or A&E unless advised to do so by a health professional.

For further information please use the following links

http://www.nhs.uk/ http://www.hpa.org.uk/ http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/

ReputationRep:
    just speak to your boss and tell him basically what you posted here. that you hardly get ill but you have some symptoms. then its up to her. also, if you feel like its a risk, dont go.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.