17.14%
£90 000+ (2)
5.71%
100 000+ (7)
20%
Gr8
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
What household income would you be considered middle class?
jcb914
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Middle class 35-40k+, upper class 80-100k+
x.Crystal.x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would say above £30,000. Upper class £50,000 +
Alas i am working class
Blatant Troll
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jcb914)
Middle class 35-40k+, upper class 80-100k+
I'd say the above range was lower middle to upper middle myself
Gr8
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Blatant Troll)
I'd say the above range was lower middle to upper middle myself
what would you consider just upper then?
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
household income has jack all to do with class !

e.g harry enfield's 'loadsamoney' and the fast show's 'considerably richer that yaaaauuuuww' characters
M_E_X
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There is no earning amount that will make you "upper class". The idea that a household income of £50k making you "upper class" is quite honestly ridiculous. Two newly qualified teachers would have a household income of over that - are they upper class?

CLASS IS NOT DIVIDED BY HOUSEHOLD INCOME.
YOU CAN NOT 'MOVE' IN TO UPPER CLASS.
MOST OF YOU ARE WORKING CLASS.

Learn those mantras, stop posting about class and most importantly, have a nice day.
fredscarecrow
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Upper Class if technically people who own land and a title as far as I know.
cognito_08
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Middle Class and Upper Class are not determined by wealth.

I think middle-class people can earn lots of money and enter "nouveau riche".
But upper class, I feel, is more for those with "old money" and a family has inherited money for years and years before.

(The difference between £30K+ and £100K+ is probably Middle Class and Upper Middle Class)
just say hello
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
rooney is upper class then
Diamond Diva
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Are you lot deluded? You don't become upper class through income alone.

A penniless Duke with no income other than the ownership of some land would be considered upper class; whereas, a doctor earning £200,000 per annum would not.

(Original post by x.Crystal.x)
Upper class £50,000 +
How utterly laughable.
thenewromance1234
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by M_E_X)
There is no earning amount that will make you "upper class". The idea that a household income of £50k making you "upper class" is quite honestly ridiculous. Two newly qualified teachers would have a household income of over that - are they upper class?

CLASS IS NOT DIVIDED BY HOUSEHOLD INCOME.
YOU CAN NOT 'MOVE' IN TO UPPER CLASS.
MOST OF YOU ARE WORKING CLASS.

Learn those mantras, stop posting about class and most importantly, have a nice day.
This. Upper class is like ******* aristocracy ffs so saying that someone who earns 80-100k is upper class is ridiculous. Wealth =/= class.
Blatant Troll
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Gr8)
It's difficult to say, because wealth is not the only factor. Sure, you might well be on a five-figure salary and/or have investments in five-figure property, but it's as much a matter of taste as the other two. i.e. you don't necessarily need lots of money to be considered upper class. Arguably moreso in the UK than in the US.

Also, as regards living in London the wealth argument doesn't really apply - even with wage inflation, an Xk household income simply wouldn't go as far.
Diamond Diva
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Gr8)
A title is practically obligatory.
booksnob
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Class system doesn't really have set outlines like that anymore. I mean, my parents' combined income is forty-odd thousand, which is better than many people's but certainly not wealthy. And yet we live a pretty middle-class lifestyle. The class system is subjective.
Apfel
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Way lower than that actually.

My household income is less than 10k, LOL. </3
obscurename
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I wouldn't say that "class" was based on income, more on lifestyle. My household income is fairly large (not sure exactly what my dad gets paid but he is a GP so fairly well and my mum get £35000 a year for 3 years (1.5 gone) as a research for her pHd) and we are very middle-class.
kates:)
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Upper class is more about your families history, background, wealth and position of privilege and really can't be defined by an amount of money. You can still be middle class and earn 100k+. Today's 'middle classes' have developed from the ones who were the merchants, traders, small business owners, lawyers, doctors and academics of yesteryear. If you look at the demographics of the middle class today you can still see this trend in professions. Here lies the end of today's social history lesson :cool:
Olivia_Lightbulb
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The notion of class is independent of income.
How do you define class? I tend to look at education rather than income. Most builders, plumbers and other tradespeople earn more than writers for example and yet you probably would not consider the former 'middle class' and the latter 'working class'. Similarly, 'upper class' refers to the aristocracy and not simply to a generically wealthy person.
LA_0909
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The title of the thread and poll are different...didn't know if that was intentional or not...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (65)
27.2%
No (174)
72.8%

Watched Threads