Turn on thread page Beta

Stuck in China with a skint friend watch

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't sure if this such go in travel, but as it's mainly about my relationship with my friend I thought I'd post it in here.
    Basically, my friend and I have been on a month long trip throughout Asia. I had savings, whilst she borrowed over 1000 pounds from her parents. When we got to India she decided to switch hotels as the one we were staying in was "too basic", then we discovered that the train journey she had booked was full and she had booked onto the wait list, meaning we had to get a car instead. This kind of thing went on, making it far more expensive than it should have been, until she ran out of money. I lent her 150 pounds, and her mum paid in another 300 quid, but now she can't pay me back, has run out of money again, and I really need that money back in a matter of weeks. Added to that is the fact that she can't afford the trains in China, so instead of seeing the Terracotta Army and other sights, we're having to fly straight to Shanghai.
    I would just like some advice on how to handle this so that we can enjoy the rest of our holiday, but whilst being assertive enough to get my money back before the end of the month. Any ideas?

(Original post by Vulpix)
    Wasn't sure if this such go in travel, but as it's mainly about my relationship with my friend I thought I'd post it in here.
    Basically, my friend and I have been on a month long trip throughout Asia. I had savings, whilst she borrowed over 1000 pounds from her parents. When we got to India she decided to switch hotels as the one we were staying in was "too basic", then we discovered that the train journey she had booked was full and she had booked onto the wait list, meaning we had to get a car instead. This kind of thing went on, making it far more expensive than it should have been, until she ran out of money. I lent her 150 pounds, and her mum paid in another 300 quid, but now she can't pay me back, has run out of money again, and I really need that money back in a matter of weeks. Added to that is the fact that she can't afford the trains in China, so instead of seeing the Terracotta Army and other sights, we're having to fly straight to Shanghai.
    I would just like some advice on how to handle this so that we can enjoy the rest of our holiday, but whilst being assertive enough to get my money back before the end of the month. Any ideas?
    TBH I'd try to share out the rest of the money you have, or simply only spend what she spends - otherwise it'll probably be really awkward and no fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orichalon)
    TBH I'd try to share out the rest of the money you have, or simply only spend what she spends - otherwise it'll probably be really awkward and no fun.
    I can't really share out my money- it's got to last me through the rest of the summer and I'm going away again with my brother.
    Am trying to spend only what she spends, but it's still really awkward, not helped by the fact that she hasn't cut back on her spending at all and is just using the small remainder of what she has on jeans and other non-essentials

ReputationRep:
    How long have you got left, OP?

ReputationRep:
    Tell her to give you the money then tell her to get lost.

ReputationRep:
    Just let her know early you need to get the money back. Give a decent notice. If she's being a tit about it, get the money of her mother lmao.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adilmorrison)
    How long have you got left, OP?
    Just9 days, but she literally has 9 pounds left

ReputationRep:
    She's not being fair on you by borrowing your money and then spending it on non-essentials. If I were you I'd have a chat with her and perhaps try and plan some sort of a budget for the rest of your trip to curtail her spending!
    As for getting your money back, I dont think much luck if she's just borrowd £1300 from her rents, it doesnt sound like she has any means to get your monety back to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaneCook)
    Just let her know early you need to get the money back. Give a decent notice. If she's being a tit about it, get the money of her mother lmao.
    She got an email off her mother the other day saying "If she's giving you hassle, just ignore it. You'll get it back to her eventually"
    I wasn't trying to read her emails- she left a laptop open on the side.
    And I made it clear before I gave her the money that I wanted it back as soon as her mum sent her the 300 pounds through. She still hasn't

ReputationRep:
    Just9 days, but she literally has 9 pounds left
    If I were you, I'd let her run out of money... You haven't got too long left... When you get back, tell her you want your money back.

ReputationRep:
    After you get back talk to her/her parents about how you really need the money back asap. I'm sure her parents would give you it and add it on to her debt. Sucks you don't get to see everything you want to though

ReputationRep:
    CAn't talk to her parents- my phone doen't work out here and pay phones are obviously expensive- shall I email my dad and ask if he can ring them, or wait until I get back and then talk to them? My dad's very good at that kind of thing

ReputationRep:
    I'd let her suffer with no money tbh, and leave her during the day and do the trips you want to do. This is why I went on my own.

ReputationRep:
    Bin the silly bint.

ReputationRep:
    She got an email off her mother the other day saying "If she's giving you hassle, just ignore it. You'll get it back to her eventually"
    And I made it clear before I gave her the money that I wanted it back as soon as her mum sent her the 300 pounds through. She still hasn't
    If you only have 9 days left, I'd try as much as possible just to enjoy yourself with the limited funds available - a trip to Asia is a once in a lifetime opportunity, I'm sure in the long run you'd appreciate good memories of that rather than arguments about money which aren't going to get you anywhere. When you get home, sit her down and remind her that she owes you the £150 and ask her when she can pay you back. If she's being difficult, try and get your parents to speak to her parents - they're responsible for her and I know if it was my parents, they'd prefer me to owe them money rather than anyone else.

If she has only got £9 left, then you could consider setting down with her now and saying something along the lines of 'Look, I can lend you another £xxx to add to the £150 I've already given to you, but you HAVE to pay me back as soon as we get back to the UK, I need this money for other stuff etc...' but that's up to you really, I think I would do it just so that I could enjoy my last few days!

ReputationRep:
    She's taking you for a ride. Totally unacceptable. If she's spending lent money on non-essentials, then...**** I'd be fuming with her. Tis the trouble when travelling with others, always little things like this which can make travelling a little bit unpleasant. Solo-travel is awesome in so many respects.

ReputationRep:
    I'd wait to you get home and her rents will be much more willing to give you the money if you're actually in the country. They do sound like morons from the email tho. And yeah, I say go off and see some sights on your own. She needs to learn how to budget and she isn't your responsibility. You've already done more than enough by lending her the money.

ReputationRep:
    If you were friends, you'll help her out with the money, and you wouldn't have any doubts whether she'll pay you back.

ReputationRep:
    She's either asked her mother for advice on how to get the money back - despite her/her mother not having any money to give you.

Or she's been *****ing about you.

But, seeing as you thought she'd make a good companion to go to china with... I'd assume it's the former.

Relax. Enjoy your holiday. Money means **** all.

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to go on my own, but decided to go with her to make my parents happier with the whole thing. Next year I'm going with my brother.
    Charlotte_Heart- good idea, but I know that she won't pay me back, so I'm not lending her anything else!
    So is the general advice to stay strong, not lend any more money, keep pushing to be paid back and as a last resort go directly to her parents? Any other ideas?
    Thanks guys

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.