Turn on thread page Beta

Questions about Lesbianism... watch

ReputationRep:
    I see quite a few gay couples around and the stereotypical lesbian couple always depicts one of the two being more 'butch' and manly rather than feminine and girly. Now I know this isn't true in all cases, but recently I have seen loads of lesbian couples around who fit this criteria perfectly.

What I want to know is... what does the feminine girl find attractive about the not-so-feminine girl?

I mean, if they are lesbian, surely they would want a partner/lover that is very woman-like and my thinking is by having a more masculine looking partner, is this not just merely a substitute for a man?

Also... I just want to mention that I have nothinb against people who make these kinds of choices... I am just interested to find out how they think I know alot of it is the pschological feelings of being with a woman, but what attracts them to each other in the first place?

(and isn't 'lesbianism' just the coolest word!?! just rolls right off the tounge huh - 'lesbianissssm'... lol )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leala4628)
    I think it's the same thing that attracts a woman to a very feminine guy or a guy to a very butch woman. It's just about who you find yourself attracted to within the gender that you find yourself attracted to. That is the most complicated sentence I have ever written
    It took me a few goes to read :p: Yeah I get ya... just wonder why they are attracted to them, what they find attractive about them and for what reasons...

ReputationRep:
    Its hard to explain, you can't really pin down quite why you're attracted to someone. As a girl who likes both girly girls & more butch women, I'd say I'm attracted to individuals simply because they're hot, same as anyone else :dunno: :p: I just happen to find women who bend the gender norms a bit to be as attractive as a very 'feminine' woman in the generally accepted meaning of the word. Just look at my sig :love:
    It definitely has nothing to do with wanting a substitute for a man, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imomo16)
    It definitely has nothing to do with wanting a substitute for a man, though.
    I understand this, It was more of a rhetorical question than a serious one... It's interesting hearing your opinions though... can you explain what you mean by 'hot' (more butch) girls?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M e m p h i s)
    It took me a few goes to read :p: Yeah I get ya... just wonder why they are attracted to them, what they find attractive about them and for what reasons...
    The same reason you find whoever you find attractive to be attractive :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I understand this, It was more of a rhetorical question than a serious one... It's interesting hearing your opinions though... can you explain what you mean by 'hot' (more butch) girls?
    Can you explain why you find someone hot? :p:
    Its tricky! I don't know, its just attractive. I guess because they're breaking the gender norms and have a strong sense of their own identity, and generally are confident in themselves. As well as just being plain old-fashioned handsome

edit: thanks whoever repped me

ReputationRep:
    The same reason you find whoever you find attractive to be attractive :yep:
    Hmm... but I also find certain people less attractive, such as more manly girls... so why would someone else find this attractive?

ReputationRep:
    Can you explain why you find someone hot? :p:
    Its tricky! I don't know, its just attractive. I guess because they're breaking the gender norms and have a strong sense of their own identity, and generally are confident in themselves. As well as just being plain old-fashioned handsome
    See that's what I don't get... 'handsomeness' - surely this is more of a guys trait... and if a women can see handsomeness in a girl then why not in a guy?

It is hard to explain reasons for finding people attractive, I guess... but it probably makes less sense to me, maybe cause I'm a guy...? idk.. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... but I also find certain people less attractive, such as more manly girls... so why would someone else find this attractive?
    This might come as a bit of a shock to you, but, sometimes, people are different and have different tastes from each other.

ReputationRep:
    For the same reason that some men like blondes, some brunettes; some like curvy girls and some like skinny girls; some like brown eyes and some like blue eyes; some like tall girls and some like short girls; some want a relationship, some want casual sex; some like girls in dresses, some think girls in jeans are cute...

To sum up, everyone is attracted to different things. There is no point pondering why someone else finds different things attractive to you - it's a simple fact of nature.

ReputationRep:
    I find guys with loads of muscles unattractive yet lots of girls would like to be with them. There's no explanation it's just personal preference. I also think women have different characters and traits to men even if they're ''butch''. They're handsome in a different way.

ReputationRep:
    This might come as a bit of a shock to you, but, sometimes, people are different and have different tastes from each other.
    Lol... ok... I phrased that wrong... but basically.... I wanted to find out what a lesbian girl would 'see' in a butch lesbian girl enough to be with them, rather than a feminine lesbian girl.

ReputationRep:
    :eek: I reject this claim as I see no scientific proof, besides God creates us all in his image. So how can we all be different?!
    I jest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serrellen)
    For the same reason that some men like blondes, some brunettes; some like curvy girls and some like skinny girls; some like brown eyes and some like blue eyes; some like tall girls and some like short girls; some want a relationship, some want casual sex; some like girls in dresses, some think girls in jeans are cute...

To sum up, everyone is attracted to different things. There is no point pondering why someone else finds different things attractive to you - it's a simple fact of nature.
    Ok, so there's lots of "for the same reason.... " kind of responses... which are correct - but it doesn't really answer the question... which I know other people are 'pondering' aswell. It seems very strange to me and I was hoping there was someone to explain it a little better than that :p: (no offence)

ReputationRep:
    I fail to see how someone can explain their attraction other than ''the same reason you find them attractive''. I find people attractive because I am attracted to them (personality/appearance whatever).

ReputationRep:
    Lol... ok... I phrased that wrong... but basically.... I wanted to find out what a lesbian girl would 'see' in a butch lesbian girl enough to be with them, rather than a feminine lesbian girl.
    :confused: The same as I would see in any other person: good sense of humour, easy going, good looking, intelligence... It just happens that they look butch, which I find in some people aesthetically appealing. That's all there is to it.

ReputationRep:
    :confused: The same as I would see in any other person: good sense of humour, easy going, good looking, intelligence... It just happens that they look butch, which I find in some people aesthetically appealing. That's all there is to it.
    OK, so what is 'good looking' about them...?

Obviously everyone has a taste, and mine not being similar to this, I wanted to find out what they find good looking and 'aesthetically appealing' about them... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I would like the OP to give us a list of what he finds aesthetically appealing in a partner.

ReputationRep:
    I would like the OP to give us a list of what he finds aesthetically appealing in a partner.
    Firstly 'aesthetically appealing' sounds like you're describing a new hoover, rather than a person... and secondly... it was I who posed the question... what point is there in me listing qualities that I find attractive... surely you should be more inclined to do this...?

ReputationRep:
    You used the word aesthetically appealing :confused:

Well if you can tell us why you find something attractive, not simply who/what you find attractive we might be able to see what you want us to do.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.