Turn on thread page Beta

Questions about Lesbianism... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leala4628)
    You used the word aesthetically appealing :confused:

Well if you can tell us why you find something attractive, not simply who/what you find attractive we might be able to see what you want us to do.
    In 'inverted commas' cause it sounded just as ridiculous the first time someone said it.

Jeez... ok well rather than sharing this convo with 2 or 3 people, I may wait for someone else's opinion rather than share my, totally unrelated opinions, about someone else. But thanks :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M e m p h i s)
    OK, so what is 'good looking' about them...?

Obviously everyone has a taste, and mine not being similar to this, I wanted to find out what they find good looking and 'aesthetically appealing' about them... :confused:
    Okay, I'll find you an example and spell it out, although surely you're not so emotionally underdeveloped that you find it impossible to imagine why somone you're not personally attracted to might be found attractive by somebody else?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...in_Seattle.jpg
    That's Rachel Maddow, who is a politics and current affairs anchor in the USA with her own show.
    I like her because she's very very smart, she's really funny, and she's strong and opinionated and open about her sexuality. Physically, I think she has a very good-looking face, her eyes and hair are nice.. She's just generally an attractive woman.

ReputationRep:
    :banghead: I really think this is a lost cause.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imomo16)
    Okay, I'll find you an example and spell it out, although surely you're not so emotionally underdeveloped that you find it impossible to imagine why somone you're not personally attracted to might be found attractive by somebody else?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...in_Seattle.jpg
    That's Rachel Maddow, who is a politics and current affairs anchor in the USA with her own show.
    I like her because she's very very smart, she's really funny, and she's strong and opinionated and open about her sexuality. Physically, I think she has a very good-looking face, her eyes and hair are nice.. She's just generally an attractive woman.

Jesus it took this long to get one answer worth reading!

But thanks, that helps... Of course I am not totally useless... and I do understand that. That's why O started the thread to find out the reasong for it, rather than argue about how everything is "because of the same reason... blah"

Anyone else have a decent example or contribution?

ReputationRep:
    As far as I can see the picture just illustrates what we've been trying to explain to you.

ReputationRep:
    I have a bi-sexual friend and she insists is the androgenous peeps that she finds attractive, that sort of mystery she finds a real turn on. I on the other hand find it a bit uncomfortable if I can't tell whether someone is a man or a woman. Each to their own.

ReputationRep:
    One thing before I post: they didn't make any "choices" apart from that of coming out

I guess it's just simply that some people find some things attractive in their desired sexual partner, and others don't. I'm attracted to men, and I don't find overly camp men attractive. But then again, they might not particularly mind what their partner looks like - not everyone's sexual tastes are based solely on shallowness =]

ReputationRep:
    As far as I can see the picture just illustrates what we've been trying to explain to you.
    No, it was the 'I like her becasue' bit...

ReputationRep:
    No, it was the 'I like her becasue' bit...
    Well everyone who'd posted had tried to say that they liked them because of their personalities or handsomeness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bennh)
    One thing before I post: they didn't make any "choices" apart from that of coming out

I guess it's just simply that some people find some things attractive in their desired sexual partner, and others don't. I'm attracted to men, and I don't find overly camp men attractive. But then again, they might not particularly mind what their partner looks like - not everyone's sexual tastes are based solely on shallowness =]
    I'm not saying it does... but obviously a person will be more attracted to someone that they find more attractive... whether that be a masculine woman, a femine man or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's the same thing that attracts a woman to a very feminine guy or a guy to a very butch woman. It's just about who you find yourself attracted to within the gender that you find yourself attracted to. That is the most complicated sentence I have ever written
    I think I get what you mean.
    There are certain girls that go for feminine guys, in the same way, there are certain girls/guys that go for more masculine girls.

They may be more attracted to the personality of a woman.
    They're usually (before I get people harping on at me about stereotypes) more sensitive/emotional.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying it does... but obviously a person will be more attracted to someone that they find more attractive... whether that be a masculine woman, a femine man or whatever.
    Indeed - what I kind of meant was, some people actually just flatly do not care what they dress like/cut their hair like/do make-up like =]

Not being a lesbian, nor one who is attracted to the more "butch" women, I can't really say much, but I'd rather think it was just a matter of what they find sexy. I don't really know tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Its hard to explain, you can't really pin down quite why you're attracted to someone. As a girl who likes both girly girls & more butch women, I'd say I'm attracted to individuals simply because they're hot, same as anyone else :dunno: :p: I just happen to find women who bend the gender norms a bit to be as attractive as a very 'feminine' woman in the generally accepted meaning of the word. Just look at my sig :love:
    It definitely has nothing to do with wanting a substitute for a man, though.
    Oh crap - I had never stared at the picture - but thought the one on the left was a guy haha!!

To the OP - well basically gay guys can like really feminine looking guys rather than more manly ones - and yeah I can see why it makes no sense - but basically they're still the gender they fancy rather than the opposite sex...

I dunno, make a random example, you might like very tanned (i.e. brown) white girls, but not fancy indian girls?

They're not one and the same thing - do you see?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Oh crap - I had never stared at the picture - but thought the one on the left was a guy haha!!

To the OP - well basically gay guys can like really feminine looking guys rather than more manly ones - and yeah I can see why it makes no sense - but basically they're still the gender they fancy rather than the opposite sex...

I dunno, make a random example, you might like very tanned (i.e. brown) white girls, but not fancy indian girls?

They're not one and the same thing - do you see?
    Yeah, that's a good example... I do indeed see... its interesting reading peoples explanations of it... because I haven't really been able to explain it myself.

Yeah, it works both ways... gay guys with feminine men and lesbian girls with butch partners. I've just seen quite a few lesbians around recently that fit the stereotype.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the 'butch' seems more masculine then she is because she is the one who takes on, generally, male role in the relationship i.e. is more dominant?

It isn't just how someone looks which makes someone seem manly, but their mannerisms and interactions with others...

:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Lesbians are stupid. Very, very stupid.

ReputationRep:
    There really isn't a butch/femme thing going on in the majority of lesbian relationships. Like with most things, it's a stereotype, although there are examples where that stereotype is lived up to. You probably don't notice a lot of the femme lesbian couples that walk down the street.

"Butches" don't always take on the more dominant role in relationships either, they're probably just look a little more intimidating so that's assumed.

(Original post by Yawn-er)
    Lesbians are stupid. Very, very stupid.
    In what respect? That's an incredibly "stupid" thing to say in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelser)
    There really isn't a butch/femme thing going on in the majority of lesbian relationships. Like with most things, it's a stereotype, although there are examples where that stereotype is lived up to. You probably don't notice a lot of the femme lesbian couples that walk down the street.

"Butches" don't always take on the more dominant role in relationships either, they're probably just look a little more intimidating so that's assumed.

In what respect? That's an incredibly "stupid" thing to say in my opinion.
    I'm attempting to hone my trolling skillz.

ReputationRep:
    Its hard to explain, you can't really pin down quite why you're attracted to someone. As a girl who likes both girly girls & more butch women, I'd say I'm attracted to individuals simply because they're hot, same as anyone else :dunno: :p: I just happen to find women who bend the gender norms a bit to be as attractive as a very 'feminine' woman in the generally accepted meaning of the word. Just look at my sig :love:
    It definitely has nothing to do with wanting a substitute for a man, though.
    I always thought that those two on the left were male :rolleyes:

Should look more carefully...
    :p:

ReputationRep:
    I have no explination
    You're right though, lesbian couples with one more butchier and fatter/masculine than the other is very common where i'm from, i see them every day, sometimes i mistake the butchy woman for a man, i think they must wear like really tight sports bras or something It's mad how much like men women can actually look..

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.