Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    LMAO. Big 4. **** that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by accountingmaniac2010)
    Operations at a Big bulge or Big 4 ACA?

I would rather be a Janitor at Citadel than an ACA at Big 4. No even kidding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord_Farquad)
    I would rather be a Janitor at Citadel than an ACA at Big 4. No even kidding.
    Whilst I would reign in hell than serve in heaven.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    Whilst I would reign in hell than serve in heaven.
    The mind can make a heaven out of hell or a hell out of heaven.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrotoxism)
    The mind can make a heaven out of hell or a hell out of heaven.
    I don't think the janitors at Citadel quite have the brain capacity.

ReputationRep:
    You dont have to be exclusively big 4 or IB. There's alot of people who do the ACA at the Big 4, then move over to IB once they are fully qualified as the ACA is a great tool to have.

Depends on what you want to do as well. If you want to be an accountant, then Big 4 is probably the safest career choice. If your in the upper range of talent, you'll probably make partner in 10-12 years, after which you will start to make some serious cash, as renumeration at the Big 4 is basically all skewed to partner pay.

If you want to do accountancy work, but want higher pay, best option is to do the ACA, qualify, then move into product controlling or something similar at an IB. Similar accounting type work, but your pay will be higher.

Main point is that your not restricted to one or the other field.

ReputationRep:
    Big 4 is painful. The dull work, the Bureaucracy, the lack of creativity and not to mention the stereotypical boring people who work there. My housemate is a soon to be Big 4 Audit and even though he is a sound bloke he has all the dull/boring traits of an accountant. If you really can't get into IB and you are at the "I give up" stage then by all means go for it. ACA is worth something but so many people have it now its value isn't that great. I guess everybodys different at the end of the day and look for different things in a job/future.

Moving into IB from the Big4 is very difficult. Alot of people on here are making it sound like a reasonably easy thing to do which it isn't. Either you can network your way in through contacts or join the transactional services/Financial advisory practice which will make things easier if you want to join IB M&A. Audit ACA -> IB = highly unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dabm50)
    You dont have to be exclusively big 4 or IB. There's alot of people who do the ACA at the Big 4, then move over to IB once they are fully qualified as the ACA is a great tool to have.

Depends on what you want to do as well. If you want to be an accountant, then Big 4 is probably the safest career choice. If your in the upper range of talent, you'll probably make partner in 10-12 years, after which you will start to make some serious cash, as renumeration at the Big 4 is basically all skewed to partner pay.

If you want to do accountancy work, but want higher pay, best option is to do the ACA, qualify, then move into product controlling or something similar at an IB. Similar accounting type work, but your pay will be higher.

Main point is that your not restricted to one or the other field.
    Can you or someone else here enlighten me on average partner compensation in big 4 accounting UK?

Also, I've heard that transaction advisory partners make 2x what audit partners make, any truth to that?

Finally, what's a reasonable estimate for starting salary in the UK at big 4?, 30k pounds?

(I'm mostly interested in the figures for london offices, not regionals)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Verne_Lundquist)
    Can you or someone else here enlighten me on average partner compensation in big 4 accounting UK?

Also, I've heard that transaction advisory partners make 2x what audit partners make, any truth to that?

Finally, what's a reasonable estimate for starting salary in the UK at big 4?, 30k pounds?

(I'm mostly interested in the figures for london offices, not regionals)
    28-30k max. Basically you might be able to buy a loaf of bread a week if you're lucky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damarus)
    28-30k max. Basically you might be able to buy a loaf of bread a week if you're lucky.
    are London big 4 and investment banking salaries for the American-based companies (Ernst and Young, Goldman Sachs) tied in any way to the american salaries and the current exchange rate?

For example, USA investment banking first year salaries have been bumped to $70k, which would translate to 46k pounds.

Big 4 salaries in NYC are $60k, so theoretically shouldn't London Big 4 salaries be around 40k pounds?

ReputationRep:
    well the investment bank ones look about right. Base can range anywhere from 38-56k. You won't get anything like 40k at the big4. Post ACA is the first salary boost and thats around 45K I think. So after 3 years of being an accounting your salary would be just below that of a 1st year analysts BASE salary.

ReputationRep:
    well the investment bank ones look about right. Base can range anywhere from 38-56k. You won't get anything like 40k at the big4.
    that's rather bizarre. 30k = $45k which is barely enough to get by in NYC and I'm sure London is just as if not more expensive.

why aren't Big 4 salaries adjusted to USA levels like IB salaries are? 30k pounds won't get you far in London. Is Big 4 accounting just not as valued in the UK?

Even stranger is the fact, that UK Big 4 partners make more, on average, than their USA counterparts (I think)

ReputationRep:
    Big4 accounting is a joke. They hire anyone with 300 UCAS points and a 2.1 in ANY subject from pretty much ANY university. If IB is your game the only section of the Big4 worth considering is the Financial Advisory practice as this can lead to M&A post ACA(albiet hard). Audit/Tax is just idiots work and this maybe a little harsh but I can only judge it from the douches I've seen get in with things like Drama or Geography degrees. The fact that they hire such a HUGE amount of people makes it far less respectable in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Big4 accounting is a joke. They hire anyone with 300 UCAS points and a 2.1 in ANY subject from pretty much ANY university. If IB is your game the only section of the Big4 worth considering is the Financial Advisory practice as this can lead to M&A post ACA(albiet hard). Audit/Tax is just idiots work and this maybe a little harsh but I can only judge it from the douches I've seen get in with things like Drama or Geography degrees. The fact that they hire such a HUGE amount of people makes it far less respectable in my opinion.
    yes i agree that audit sucks- tax is better and transaction advisory is the best.

even so, those salaries are insulting lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Verne_Lundquist)
    yes i agree that audit sucks- tax is better and transaction advisory is the best.

even so, those salaries are insulting lol
    If you are bright and have ambition to work in IB don't join Tax/Audit. Seriously you will regret it so much a few years down the line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    It is not really valued anywhere in the world.
    Accounting is just plain boring accounting.
    Big 4 accounting isn't as valued as IB or private equity, that's for sure. But it is valued.

really surprised how low the UK salaries are relative to the USA

ReputationRep:
    The only chance you can make big money in Accounting is becoming a partner, but this is a long and painful process. You have to absolutely LOVE accounting as well, which most sane people don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    So is teaching.
    But don´t expect much money or respect if you become an accountant or a teacher.
    im pretty sure people respect teachers, perhaps they don't respect their choice to become teachers, but it's a vocation, and you don't go into it for the money.

ReputationRep:
    So you guys are basically arguing Big 4 is the LAST opportunity you should consider to try and break into IB if all other options have been exhausted and there financial adviser would be the best position to apply for ahead of auditing?

ReputationRep:
    I am at a Big4 and the amount of misinformation in this thread is appalling. I wouldn't get into an argument with anyone but would just recommend anyone making a career choice to talk to your university's alumni who are actually working in Big 4 and IB.

Also, see this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=23908530

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.