Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another One)
    I am at a Big4 and the amount of misinformation in this thread is appalling. I wouldn't get into an argument with anyone but would just recommend anyone making a career choice to talk to your university's alumni who are actually working in Big 4 and IB.

Also, see this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=23908530

I don't think there is any misinformation in this thread.

entry level Big 4 pay sucks- truth
    Big 4 pay is lower than IB at all levels-truth
    Big 4 has ok exit opps but not as good as banking- truth
    Once you make partner in big 4 you make lots of money, but it is difficult to reach that level-truth
    Big 4 has better work/life balance-WHO CARES, you've got to work hard to be successful
    IB has better compensation and better exit opportunities-truth

if you have a choice between IB and Big 4, you should choose IB- truth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Verne_Lundquist)

if you have a choice between IB and Big 4, you should choose IB
    Of course.
    However, the cohort with realistic hopes of getting into IB are very different from those who apply to Big 4.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, can I ask a quite similar question here:

How do u compare exit opp for Big 4 accountancy vs. Finance division in BB(assume u will be sponsored for ACA/ACCA)?

Does the latter one give you better work-life balance, esp for a girl?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elva2sam)
    Hi everyone, can I ask a quite similar question here:

How do u compare exit opp for Big 4 accountancy vs. Finance division in BB(assume u will be sponsored for ACA/ACCA)?

Does the latter one give you better work-life balance, esp for a girl?
    How on earth is that relevant? Women are expected to work the same hours as men... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    How on earth is that relevant? Women are expected to work the same hours as men... :rolleyes:
    Sry.. I'm a little bit traditional and just assume women are not as aggressive as men and prefer more work-life balance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Verne_Lundquist)
    are London big 4 and investment banking salaries for the American-based companies (Ernst and Young, Goldman Sachs) tied in any way to the american salaries and the current exchange rate?

For example, USA investment banking first year salaries have been bumped to $70k, which would translate to 46k pounds.

Big 4 salaries in NYC are $60k, so theoretically shouldn't London Big 4 salaries be around 40k pounds?
    By mentioning Ernst & Young alongside Goldman Sachs, is it because you believe E&Y is the best of the Big 4? If so, I thought it was PwC who's n°1...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another One)
    I am at a Big4 and the amount of misinformation in this thread is appalling. I wouldn't get into an argument with anyone but would just recommend anyone making a career choice to talk to your university's alumni who are actually working in Big 4 and IB.

Also, see this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=23908530
    I agree, this whole thread is probably full of investment bankers or those who hope to be because they were completely caught by the Gordon Gekko hype, hence the bias.

I don't know much about opportunities in IB, it's not that popular here in Belgium, where I live. What I do know is that the financial services industry is the industry with the highest exponential rise in salary, higher than in any other sector. Perhaps the starting salary is pretty low (but here in Belgium we get a company car, which is a choice between a Mini Cooper, a Fiat 500, or if you're willing to pay 100 EUR extra a month, then you can opt for the BMW 1-series, with tank card, a laptop and a mobile phone), but it will rise exponentially very fast. And it's absolutely not true that only partners get nicely paid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KRavelo)
    I agree, this whole thread is probably full of investment bankers or those who hope to be because they were completely caught by the Gordon Gekko hype, hence the bias.

I don't know much about opportunities in IB, it's not that popular here in Belgium, where I live. What I do know is that the financial services industry is the industry with the highest exponential rise in salary, higher than in any other sector. Perhaps the starting salary is pretty low (but here in Belgium we get a company car, which is a choice between a Mini Cooper, a Fiat 500, or if you're willing to pay 100 EUR extra a month, then you can opt for the BMW 1-series, with tank card, a laptop and a mobile phone), but it will rise exponentially very fast. And it's absolutely not true that only partners get nicely paid.
    This is probably the only decent post in this thread. I think no one should take Damarus seriously, he clearly is neek loser with no friends and bums IB because he has no life and therefore wont miss out by working 18 hours a day.

ReputationRep:
    The big4 employ low calibre graduates. media studies/psychology and the like.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ElemenT')
    Overall the Big 4 employ a lower calibre than certain other firms. Though, they also employ a much higher calibre than certain other firms. Additionally, the actual degree will be dependent on scheme you opt for. (Valid if you're going for Audit or Tax or something similar, but you wouldn't get anywhere on their Actuarial scheme with Media Studies or Psychology.)

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I don't know anyone with a media/psychology degree working in the big 4 where I am.

And I would hardly say the calibre of the graduates is low. I don't class myself as being of low calibre.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Flying Scotsman)
    And I would hardly say the calibre of the graduates is low. I don't class myself as being of low calibre.
    You're bound to say that, mind, considering that is where you're working.

ReputationRep:
    I guess my comment was a little too strong... I just don't agree with the whole "recruit anyone with 300 UCAS points and a 2.1" mentality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Scotsman)
    Wow, I don't know anyone with a media/psychology degree working in the big 4 where I am.
    I don't class myself as being of low calibre.
    Self delusion....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    Self delusion....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Realistic.

ReputationRep:
    I guess my comment was a little too strong... I just don't agree with the whole "recruit anyone with 300 UCAS points and a 2.1" mentality.
    those are the minimum requirements. on their own they don't tell us much about the quality of people at the Big4...

ReputationRep:
    This may be the case, however its more suited to those of us who have friends and a life

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.