Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    as opposed into integration in a multicultural liberal Britain?

I do feel personally from my view that it is causing segregation in this country. If you think about it you have two sets of groups, A and B. There could be friendly banter between those groups etc... and someone decided that something is offensive to A, and creates law to protect them perhaps, it would caused resentment for B and could cause further segregation. I personally think no matter how hard you try, there is difficulty in finding a balance to please both sets of groups.

This applies political correctness, in regards to sexism, racism and even homophobia etc...

What are your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Hate speech laws are unrelated to political correctness. I agree that they should be rescinded but disagree that "PC" has "gone too far." What really happened was that PC went a little way then people got irritated by it and have stunted its growth by continually attacking it. Which is all good, IMO.

ReputationRep:
    I would lay the blame for segregation at a number of places; ethic 'ghettos' - streets or even whole districts migrated to by immigrants from a single country or even village, ethnic segregation in schools (as above) and ethnic community groups - 'Somalian Men's Working Club' (apparently, I can't read the sign) for an example.

ReputationRep:
    The Labour Party encourages 'tolerance'. This can and does imply in a sense that it encourages people to accept different ranges of people with gritted teeth, how can there be true multi culturalism if people don't want it then?

ReputationRep:
    I thing that the world must be tidy!

ReputationRep:
    Its sad really, you wouldn't think Labour would encourage segregation, but that seems to be the case at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    I think it causes retardation, for lack of a better term.

ReputationRep:
    The term 'political correctness' is a ridiculous one. No it is not causing segregation; if anything it helps stop it. Certain 'PC' legislation makes it easier for ethnic monorities to enter the workplace for example, thereby helping social intergration.

ReputationRep:
    It's not ok to use offensive words for groups of people for obvious reasons. Offensive as in racist, discriminating etc. PC is important as long as the described groups do not feel offended by those words anymore - which in some cases will probably never happen. I'm not so sure about the segregation thing you're talking about. Groups will probably be segregated anyway - using offensive words or feeling frustrated because of PC. Of course PC is used to influence our thinking to a certain extend although I don't think that works very well. People will just use other words and interpret the same meaning into it...

ReputationRep:
    well its certainly started to create resentment, not sure about segregation

ReputationRep:
    Hurrah for Olivia_lightbulb and moonstruck!

My tuppenceworth is that 'political correctness' should be thought of as 'public politeness' and then we mightn't have half the synthetic outrage about it that we do have. It's all well and good for members of the WASPish majority (and it is a majority) to harp on about their right to free speech - which I wouldn't necessarily deny them - with little or no appreciation of being in one of those minorities. It gets pretty tiresome sometimes when you get attacked just for being who you are and then have to put up with the free speech defence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MKG)
    Hurrah for Olivia_lightbulb and moonstruck!

My tuppenceworth is that 'political correctness' should be thought of as 'public politeness' and then we mightn't have half the synthetic outrage about it that we do have. It's all well and good for members of the WASPish majority (and it is a majority) to harp on about their right to free speech - which I wouldn't necessarily deny them - with little or no appreciation of being in one of those minorities. It gets pretty tiresome sometimes when you get attacked just for being who you are and then have to put up with the free speech defence.
    With free speach you get the right to challenge. We are living in a society where there is a lot of resentment, I personally think it is caused by the PC brigade...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.