Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Get rid of Economics? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesHoKS)
    Can u enlighten me on some of the common language-inclined courses that universities offer?
    As far as Im aware you can do any language at uni , I have a friend who did French and Russian and know people doing Spanish and German as well. I think most people do a language they've studied with one they havent, appently language course have quite good career prospects too but I cant think of any =/.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Get rid of Economics? :dontknow:
    Economics is a subject in Group 3, and Group 3 is a key component in all IB curriculum. We can't drop it. We all must take at least one subject from each group... group 3 has geog, history, econs and business&mngemt. Isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Economics is a subject in Group 3, and Group 3 is a key component in all IB curriculum. We can't drop it. We all must take at least one subject from each group... group 3 has geog, history, econs and business&mngemt. Isn't it?
    Oh right! I have no idea tbh.

ReputationRep:
    For example, some conventional choices include Chem and Bio HL/SL, which guarantees you a Medicine Course in Uni if you do well.

with this i study both foreign language and ensure a medicine degree, but chinese sl is really hard to let go, as I am fluent in Chinese and it guarantees a direct 7 pts.
    You need HL Chemistry for medicine, and getting good grades in the right subjects doesn't guarantee you a place on a medicine course as you seem to think.
    The average applicantslaces ratio at med schools in approx 10:1, and the majority of those applicants have excellent A Level/IB results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky21)
    You need HL Chemistry for medicine, and getting good grades in the right subjects doesn't guarantee you a place on a medicine course as you seem to think.
    The average applicantslaces ratio at med schools in approx 10:1, and the majority of those applicants have excellent A Level/IB results.
    that is a misphrase on my part. but yes i do have complete trust in my own decent calibre in the sciences. the question is, do you mean that even with good ib results (including in the sciences of course), the chance of med school accepting u is still 1/10th?

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do medicine, wouldn't you be better off doing Chem/Bio instead of economics? It's useful, but doesn't seem to be related to any of your other subjects.

If you want to carry on your languages then most UK unis do a good selection, with Sheffield being the best obviously lol. No i'm joking, but seriously there are plenty of universities that do language combinations.

Also, if you wanted to do medicine, i'm not entirely sure about free modules as obviously they're very intensive courses, but maybe you could continue a language as an elective?

As someone has mentioned above though, you seem to be more interested in humanties (Eng Lit, Spanish, French, Chinese) than sciences really, so maybe it's worth reconsidering your uni course?

My school did IB and universities tend to like the variation of subject as far as i've seen, as long as you still have a focus.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhianna610)
    If you want to do medicine, wouldn't you be better off doing Chem/Bio instead of economics? It's useful, but doesn't seem to be related to any of your other subjects.

If you want to carry on your languages then most UK unis do a good selection, with Sheffield being the best obviously lol. No i'm joking, but seriously there are plenty of universities that do language combinations.

As someone has mentioned above though, you seem to be more interested in humanties (Eng Lit, Spanish, French, Chinese) than sciences really, so maybe it's worth reconsidering your uni course?

My school did IB and universities tend to like the variation of subject as far as i've seen, as long as you still have a focus.

Hope this helps
    Language combos are risky in my honest opinion; I wouldnt want to put all my eggs in the Language basket..
    also, i said above that one subject from every group is compulsory, so I also have to take a subject from Group 3 like econs, even if it's not the most useful to my combination. i cnt throw it away like that.

also, you said that "universities tend to like the variation of subject" - can u explain to me what kind of variation u r talking about:yes: ?

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I'm currently studying in Anglo-Chinese School (Independent), and going to embark on their 2-year long IB Diploma Programme next year, afterwhich I shall proceed to university. I may not go to the UK to pursue my university studies, but I decided to ask my question here because of the good advice many have received.

I have a problem. My subject tendencies are very unconventional, and my principal has said that scattered subjects in IBDP give you a difficult university and career path and is an ultimate waste of time on the studying part. For example, some conventional choices include Chem and Bio HL/SL, which guarantees you a Medicine Course in Uni if you do well. Law would be something like Eng Literature & Economics or B&M HL, Engineering maybe Chem and Physics HL/SL...these are all very standard choices that many of my friends have chosen, but none of these outlined paths seem to interest me. I tend to like subjects here and there, like a bit of Law, a bit of Medicine, a bit of Math? My subject choice is below:

Group 1: English Literature HL
    Group 2: Chinese B (basically SL)
    Group 3: Economics HL
    Group 4: Biology OR Chemistry HL
    Group 5: Math SL
    Group 6: Spanish/French ab initio (i.e. SL)

It doesn't seem to fall into any particular category for university requirement. For example, I quite like Medicine, but most universities require at least 2 Sciences (HL/SL levels vary). I could drop my foreign language, but I really would like to study it too. I am thinking of Psychology, but requirements of different universities vary.

What I need to ask of you now is:
    1) With this weird combination, what courses can I study in future and what universities may provide? links would be helpful...
    2) If this combination ultimately leads me nowehere, what are some of the subjects that I should take up/let go from those 6 so that there is a clearer direction implied by my subject combination?

Many thanks if anyone could give good advice.

P.S.
    Regarding question 2) - I may have alternative combinations that I have considered but obviously am not so enthusiastic about.

1-English sl
    2-Chinese B sl
    3-Econs hl
    4-Bio hl
    5-Math sl
    6-chem sl
    with this combination, i am inclined to the 'medicine' circle, but sacrifice a foreign language which would make me really sad but desperate times call for desperate measures

OR

1-English hl
    2-french/spanish ab initio sl
    3-Econs hl
    4-Bio hl
    5-Math sl
    6-chem sl
    with this i study both foreign language and ensure a medicine degree, but chinese sl is really hard to let go, as I am fluent in Chinese and it guarantees a direct 7 pts.

please don't tell me the 'follow your heart' thingy, because it's precisely because I am hopelessly indecisive that I came here :o:

Hoho fellow singaporean on the board? lol. actually I think your subjects look fine. Heh. I think its unconventional in the singaporean sense where people tend to gear towards math and sciences. your subjects are quite normal. hahaha. but it's true that if you wish to pursue med you'd have some trouble since you might only be taking one science. if you wish to keep the science option open I think you should take two sciences. and really.. just scrape chinese B and take a foreign language that interests you. I took chinese B and it was SUCH a waste of time. and economics is good. I wouldn't advice you to drop it. it's interesting and easy to score.

ReputationRep:
    Language combos are risky in my honest opinion; I wouldnt want to put all my eggs in the Language basket..
    also, i said above that one subject from every group is compulsory, so I also have to take a subject from Group 3 like econs, even if it's not the most useful to my combination. i cnt throw it away like that.

also, you said that "universities tend to like the variation of subject" - can u explain to me what kind of variation u r talking about:yes: ?
    :oops: sorry forgot you had to have a group 3. In that case i'm a little stuck, are you 100% on medicine/sciences for your degree? If not then I wouldn't suggest doing two sciences, but if you are then a third language probably won't help you too much, as you're alreay fluent in two. This will probably be well enough for any prospective employer.
    Hmmm, well obviously I disagree with you on the language front (being a language student myself :p: )-being fluent in many languages is incredibly useful imo but that one's your decision lol

By variation of subject I mean that if you can acheive a good point score in subjects that are unrelated (eg, Maths and English-most people tend to show more aptitude for one or the other) then a uni may recognise that you have a wide range of skills. Bear in mind that like I said before, your subject choice still needs to show a focus on a particular area (generally sciences or humanities).

I'm no expert on this though, it's entirely your choice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhianna610)
    :oops: sorry forgot you had to have a group 3. In that case i'm a little stuck, are you 100% on medicine/sciences for your degree? If not then I wouldn't suggest doing two sciences, but if you are then a third language probably won't help you too much, as you're alreay fluent in two. This will probably be well enough for any prospective employer.
    Hmmm, well obviously I disagree with you on the language front (being a language student myself :p: )-being fluent in many languages is incredibly useful imo but that one's your decision lol

By variation of subject I mean that if you can acheive a good point score in subjects that are unrelated (eg, Maths and English-most people tend to show more aptitude for one or the other) then a uni may recognise that you have a wide range of skills. Bear in mind that like I said before, your subject choice still needs to show a focus on a particular area (generally sciences or humanities).

I'm no expert on this though, it's entirely your choice!
    It's clearer now... looks like with all the replies I have, I got to make a choice between foreign language, a second science and chinese sl. thanks

ReputationRep:
    It's clearer now... looks like with all the replies I have, I got to make a choice between foreign language, a second science and chinese sl. thanks
    just forget chinese SL hahaha. looks like you could use the subject space to accomodate your diverse interests. although you're almost guaranteed a 7 so it could be a useful point booster. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paradise_lost)
    Hoho fellow singaporean on the board? lol. actually I think your subjects look fine. Heh. I think its unconventional in the singaporean sense where people tend to gear towards math and sciences. your subjects are quite normal. hahaha. but it's true that if you wish to pursue med you'd have some trouble since you might only be taking one science. if you wish to keep the science option open I think you should take two sciences. and really.. just scrape chinese B and take a foreign language that interests you. I took chinese B and it was SUCH a waste of time. and economics is good. I wouldn't advice you to drop it. it's interesting and easy to score.
    1)You can't imagine how thankful I am to see someone of the same environment as I am. and I see u r in NUS? That's on one of my top choices for uni as well

2)Yes I agree with you that my current choice is rather daring and un-singaporean...but I guess anyway for safety's sake I need two sciences. Would you suggest Bio or Chem as HL? I definitely can't handle double HL :eek3:

3) In fact I'm rather amused as to why you call CL B a waste of time. Ha! the main attraction factor for CLB is because it really guarantees you a 7 point. 3rd lang is after all a foreign lang... you can never be as sure of scoring a 7 - thats what all my friends are saying, they all take clb.

My principal has advised us to focus on HL choices, SL choices should be those that can easily help you attain a 7, irregardless of whether you have real interest in the SL subject... Again, I'm breaking the IB tradition by choosing a likable SL instead of one that guarantees good marks. :woo: headache =(((

ReputationRep:
    maybe i'll appeal to do 7 subjects then drop CLB or foreign language accordingly as the year progresses, depending on its dsustainability

ReputationRep:
    1)You can't imagine how thankful I am to see someone of the same environment as I am. and I see u r in NUS? That's on one of my top choices for uni as well

2)Yes I agree with you that my current choice is rather daring and un-singaporean...but I guess anyway for safety's sake I need two sciences. Would you suggest Bio or Chem as HL? I definitely can't handle double HL :eek3:

3) In fact I'm rather amused as to why you call CL B a waste of time. Ha! the main attraction factor for CLB is because it really guarantees you a 7 point. 3rd lang is after all a foreign lang... you can never be as sure of scoring a 7 - thats what all my friends are saying, they all take clb.

My principal has advised us to focus on HL choices, SL choices should be those that can easily help you attain a 7, irregardless of whether you have real interest in the SL subject... Again, I'm breaking the IB tradition by choosing a likable SL instead of one that guarantees good marks. :woo: headache =(((
    Yep I'm in NUS. Just started this august. ((: if you had to pick one science as HL I'd say do chemistry. It's more important if you eventually want to do med. And the studying is a lot less tedious than bio HL. Seriously. :P mmm yes CL B is good that way.. but you seemed to need more space to choose other subjects ma. ((: if you want an SL subject that's easy to secure a 7 then take economics.. but that's one of your HLs right. hmmm.

and it's more important to do well in your HLs actually. cos if you look at uni requirements right, sometimes they request like 7 7 7 at HL or 776 that kinda thing. A* scholarship asks for 776. btw how is ACSI's record with english HL. at my school no one has ever gotten a 7 before. o.o

ReputationRep:
    I think at this stage it really is more important to keep your options open, because if you do change your mind later down the road it is a hell of a lot of effort to catch up on an IB subject (and your school might not even let you. Also sciences require lab work, it's not as easy as reading a book at home and then showing up for exams). If you think there's ANY chance at all that you want to be in medicine you really should be doing Chem HL, Bio SL and ideally Maths HL (or maybe reverse Maths and Bio). If you take something like History high you can always do law or history or economics at university as well, but you will be KICKING yourself if you decide to medicine but are unable to catch up on sciences. So my choice for you would be:

HL
    Maths/Biology
    Chem
    History

SL
    Biology/Maths
    Chinese/French/Spanish
    English A1

I think that's probably the broadest and most flexible combination for anyone who doesn't want to do physics or engineering at uni.

EDIT: Your current configuration doesn't have any humanities so I don't think that would even be allowed anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Look you need to decide what it is you would like to do later on in life. If you are not sure yet then look back and see what your favourite subjects are and then centre your choices around that subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paradise_lost)
    Yep I'm in NUS. Just started this august. ((: if you had to pick one science as HL I'd say do chemistry. It's more important if you eventually want to do med. And the studying is a lot less tedious than bio HL. Seriously. :P mmm yes CL B is good that way.. but you seemed to need more space to choose other subjects ma. ((: if you want an SL subject that's easy to secure a 7 then take economics.. but that's one of your HLs right. hmmm.

and it's more important to do well in your HLs actually. cos if you look at uni requirements right, sometimes they request like 7 7 7 at HL or 776 that kinda thing. A* scholarship asks for 776. btw how is ACSI's record with english HL. at my school no one has ever gotten a 7 before. o.o
    Our Eng HL standard also quite bad, I think only got a few hit 7, like 3? Sad I want do Bio HL, but Sec 1 to Sec 4 my Bio mostly 60-70marks only. Hope Bio SL is not hard.

How can u possibly regret taking CLB when it is like free marks?:confused: unless it is really too simple until can die, and everyone is bored to death - lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigFudamental)
    I think at this stage it really is more important to keep your options open, because if you do change your mind later down the road it is a hell of a lot of effort to catch up on an IB subject (and your school might not even let you. Also sciences require lab work, it's not as easy as reading a book at home and then showing up for exams). If you think there's ANY chance at all that you want to be in medicine you really should be doing Chem HL, Bio SL and ideally Maths HL (or maybe reverse Maths and Bio). If you take something like History high you can always do law or history or economics at university as well, but you will be KICKING yourself if you decide to medicine but are unable to catch up on sciences. So my choice for you would be:

HL
    Maths/Biology
    Chem
    History

SL
    Biology/Maths
    Chinese/French/Spanish
    English A1

I think that's probably the broadest and most flexible combination for anyone who doesn't want to do physics or engineering at uni.

EDIT: Your current configuration doesn't have any humanities so I don't think that would even be allowed anyway.
    Thanks for the recommendation. In fact history, geog, econs and business&management are considered humanities Group 3 already so that is fulfilled. however i dont like history so how does this combination come across to you?

HL
    Maths
    Chemistry
    Economics

SL
    Biology
    French/Spanish
    English A1

ReputationRep:
    Our Eng HL standard also quite bad, I think only got a few hit 7, like 3? Sad I want do Bio HL, but Sec 1 to Sec 4 my Bio mostly 60-70marks only. Hope Bio SL is not hard.

How can u possibly regret taking CLB when it is like free marks?:confused: unless it is really too simple until can die, and everyone is bored to death - lol
    narr I didn't say I regret taking it. who can pass up free marks like that? ;P but it's really very simple and boring. super. HAHA. but good too cos in effect it means you only have 5 subs to focus on. nope bio SL is good, not hard. ((:

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.