Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesHoKS)
    Thanks for the recommendation. In fact history, geog, econs and business&management are considered humanities Group 3 already so that is fulfilled. however i dont like history so how does this combination come across to you?

HL
    Maths
    Chemistry
    Economics

SL
    Biology
    French/Spanish
    English A1
    I'd say that looks pretty good. Will keep loads of doors open for you and all your higher levels are subjects that universities like to see. If you can see yourself doing those subjects I'd say go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paradise_lost)
    narr I didn't say I regret taking it. who can pass up free marks like that? ;P but it's really very simple and boring. super. HAHA. but good too cos in effect it means you only have 5 subs to focus on. nope bio SL is good, not hard. ((:
    Hi, I would also like to know the IB subject and grade requirements for courses in NUS such as Life Sciences, Dentistry, Medicine and other science-related courses they offer? And also Psychology if they have?
    That would probably give me some direction in preparing for uni as I think I've made up my mind to pursue more of sciences. thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ps_iloveyou)
    Ever since I joined TSR, I have learned quite a few things: colleges have requirements. Most prefer hardcore subjects like HL Math, Science and Economics. But how about if we're just not that good at math or sciences? What if we do subjects like math studies and environment and business? Does that mean that we won't be able to compete?

For me, I would like to study law in college. I am not really aiming for top unis like Cambridge or Harvard. But do I still stand a chance in University of Sydney/Melbourne, Edinburgh, LSE even, with the Option 1 subject combination?

OPTION 1
    HL Chinese B, English, History
    SL Math Studies, Business, Environment

Or should I stick with Option 2 knowing that I will have to work harder at?

OPTION 2
    HL Chinese B, English, Economics
    SL History, Biology, Math

I've also learned another thing. In the end of the day, what you choose for IB isn't everything. It isn't your life (well, not directly!) Thanks, all advice is appreciated! x
    Why not take History HL, if you find it interesting?
    Math Studies seems fine (since Law is devoid of maths).
    Biology would look better...?
    & Economics would be better than Business.

Just aim for a high number of points (38+), since Law is v. competitive! (& Don't forget the bonus points!)

ReputationRep:
    Option 2. But you might want to switch HL Chinese B for HL History. HL Chinese B was generally viewed as a soft subject in my school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cuddlebuggy)
    Option 2. But you might want to switch HL Chinese B for HL History. HL Chinese B was generally viewed as a soft subject in my school.
    This.
    Or taking 4 HLs, since if you're fluent in Chinese, it should be no problem (an easy HL).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ragnar_jonsson)
    Why not take History HL, if you find it interesting?
    Math Studies seems fine (since Law is devoid of maths).
    Biology would look better...?
    & Economics would be better than Business.

Just aim for a high number of points (38+), since Law is v. competitive! (& Don't forget the bonus points!)
    Hmm well because I haven't taken GCSE History and I'm scared it will be too demanding. Plus I already have a hard essay-based subject: english. I heard many unis look deeply into your HL grades. So chinese higher B is definitely a 7. No need to even study for it. Will have to spend lots of time in english and also my other HL subject (not sure about economics...is geography a good idea?).

Thanks to many people, I think I have a general idea of my subjects:
    HL Chinese, English, Geography/B&M
    SL History, Biology, Math (studies?)

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I would also like to know the IB subject and grade requirements for courses in NUS such as Life Sciences, Dentistry, Medicine and other science-related courses they offer? And also Psychology if they have?
    That would probably give me some direction in preparing for uni as I think I've made up my mind to pursue more of sciences. thanks
    here. http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/apply/loca...sites.html#top

you should find the course pre requisites for almost all the courses. ((: NUS does have psych although you would then be considered under the faculty of arts and social sciences. a little weird but yeah. all the best with your subject choices. ^^

ReputationRep:
    I would like to study law in college preferably in LSE or universities in Australia (the top ones like sydney and melbourne university). Are my subjects okay?

HL Chinese B, English, ----
    SL History, Biology, Maths

For that HL gap...I was wondering if I should take geography? I am doing geography for GCSE now and I love it and find it very amusing and interesting and also quite easy. I did not study at all for the mocks and still managed a B (i am not even kidding). I was wondering if it is going to be interesting...how many case studies...and will learning about rocks be very boring? Thanks.

Also, I hope it's okay to take SL History for law as I have not done it for GCSE but will be devoted to it in IB.

ReputationRep:
    Ever since I joined TSR, I have learned quite a few things: colleges have requirements. Most prefer hardcore subjects like HL Math, Science and Economics. But how about if we're just not that good at math or sciences? What if we do subjects like math studies and environment and business? Does that mean that we won't be able to compete?

For me, I would like to study law in college. I am not really aiming for top unis like Cambridge or Harvard. But do I still stand a chance in University of Sydney/Melbourne, Edinburgh, LSE even, with the Option 1 subject combination?

OPTION 1

OPTION 2

I've also learned another thing. In the end of the day, what you choose for IB isn't everything. It isn't your life (well, not directly!) Thanks, all advice is appreciated! x
    remember though, if you want to get into sydney uni/melbourne uni they base your entry solely on how good your mark is - and not on what subjects gave you that mark.

so if you're happy with usyd/umel, then go for the subjects that will get you the best marks

ReputationRep:

OPTION 1

OPTION 2

Hey darl. I'm in Melbourne currently studying law, and I think that if you've got your heart set on law--pay attention to the prerequisities firstly. From what I know of most unis in AU they want English, at whichever level.

Which, I think, makes it a lot easier for you. Don't fall into the trap of picking harder subjects because you'll have to work harder at them. What unis, in Australia especially, look at is your final mark, and what TER that translates into. That's all. So I think there's nothing wrong with doing soft subjects that will boost your grade.

I can't speak for overseas unis, but I think you should put your mind on meeting the prereqs firstly. And then picking the rest of your subjects based on what you enjoy, and if you can toss in a so-called soft subject, good for you. Seriously.

Also, what you'll learn as you do the IB is that there is no soft subject, really (don't flame me for this, please)--every subject requires work. I haven't encountered a subject that one can walk into the exams for without studying a single bit and get a 7.

That said--pay attention to the requirements, first and foremost. With law you're lucky in that in general you'll need English at a certain grade. Besides that, pick subjects in line with your interests, that you'll genuinely like and do well in. Unis will, for the most part, take the applicants with the higher grades. So if you can maximise your final score by doing some "easier" subjects, I fully recommend going for it.

What matters in the end is how well you do, no matter what. You can pick and choose based on that.

Feel free to PM if you have any qs on law. x

EDIT: Forgot to mention, if you want to do law at Melbourne University, you have to do an undergraduate degree first and then go onto the Juris Doctor, whereas in the majority of other Aussie unis, you do the LLB out of high school. So have a think about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Môme)
    H
    EDIT: Forgot to mention, if you want to do law at Melbourne University, you have to do an undergraduate degree first and then go onto the Juris Doctor, whereas in the majority of other Aussie unis, you do the LLB out of high school. So have a think about that.
    Hi, thanks so much I think that really helped me! I guess I should just go with subjects I enjoy:
    HL English, Chinese, Geography

They are not very hard but not VERY easy. Soft subjects like environmental systems and business does not really capture my interest to be honest...

I did not really get your edited sentence about an undergraduate degree and Juris Doctor. Sorry, can you repeat it again?

By the way, did you do the IB? What subjects did you do?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks so much I think that really helped me! I guess I should just go with subjects I enjoy:
    HL English, Chinese, Geography

They are not very hard but not VERY easy. Soft subjects like environmental systems and business does not really capture my interest to be honest...

I did not really get your edited sentence about an undergraduate degree and Juris Doctor. Sorry, can you repeat it again?

By the way, did you do the IB? What subjects did you do?
    I'm glad that helped! And remember that with the IB, you have some wiggle room in the first few weeks, so if that combination seems wrong in any way, you can change. But yeah, ultimately I think it's all about what you feel would be best. I also recommend looking at the syllabi for each subject (there's a thread at the top of the IB Discussion forum), so you can get more of an idea of what you'll actually be doing. I think that's always important.

Well, if you're studying law in Australia, most universities offer it as an undergraduate degree. The University of Melbourne have stopped offering law as an undergraduate degree that you can get into straight from finishing school. You have to complete a degree first (if you're doing it there, it can be anything from Arts to Science to Biomedicine, which take three years), and then, depending on your grades and other selection criteria, you move onto the Juris Doctor program, which is where you gain your law qualifications. Hope that's a bit clearer.

I finished the IB last year, but I didn't pick my subjects wisely at all, and ended up hating most of them. I did Biology, Islamic History and English at HL, and Chemistry, Indonesian ab initio and Maths SL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paradise_lost)
    here. http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/apply/loca...sites.html#top

you should find the course pre requisites for almost all the courses. ((: NUS does have psych although you would then be considered under the faculty of arts and social sciences. a little weird but yeah. all the best with your subject choices. ^^
    Thanks for the link and info

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I'd like to thank all of you.
    Right now my subject choice is

HL: Eng Lit, Chem, Econs
    SL: Bio, Math, Spanish

Again thanks.

ReputationRep:
    If you have the love for it, why not?
    Geog is easy to get a 7 as long as you study adequately.

I also see that you only want to take one science. Since you do not plan on having a medical future, I suggest your Science SL be chemistry instead of Bio as Chem usually comes in more handy - its the central science. Also Chem SL is easier than Bio SL.

How can CLB be offered at higher level? it's already 'B', which means standard right? perhaps your school allows that, I dunno...

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying IB Geogrpahy and Am just about to take my exam, i have found it very intresting, especially with regards to the core unit! on Population, Resources and Development, it gives you a new perspective on the world and helps you to critically think about whate going on in the world, i have throughly enjoyed it and would recommend it! If you have any questions about the course just ask

ReputationRep:
    If you have the love for it, why not?
    Geog is easy to get a 7 as long as you study adequately.

I also see that you only want to take one science. Since you do not plan on having a medical future, I suggest your Science SL be chemistry instead of Bio as Chem usually comes in more handy - its the central science. Also Chem SL is easier than Bio SL.

How can CLB be offered at higher level? it's already 'B', which means standard right? perhaps your school allows that, I dunno...
    I cannot do chemistry for life D: I tried thinking about it but I guess I just really don't have to interest for it. And biology is also very applicable. I prefer knowing about whats going in cells than whats going on in atoms. But thanks for the advice!

Yes, chinese there is A1, A2, B higher and A1, A2, B standard. I am taking B HIGHER - an easy seven and it can fill my HL place up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coops_mini)
    I am currently studying IB Geogrpahy and Am just about to take my exam, i have found it very intresting, especially with regards to the core unit! on Population, Resources and Development, it gives you a new perspective on the world and helps you to critically think about whate going on in the world, i have throughly enjoyed it and would recommend it! If you have any questions about the course just ask
    Why did my forum move? Anyways, yeah I think that geography is pretty interesting. I take it for my GCSE. Population, Natural Hazards are really interesting. Settlement is okay, so is water. But I don't like coasts haha And case studies D:

But thanks anyway - what other subjects are you taking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Môme)
    I'm glad that helped! And remember that with the IB, you have some wiggle room in the first few weeks, so if that combination seems wrong in any way, you can change. But yeah, ultimately I think it's all about what you feel would be best. I also recommend looking at the syllabi for each subject (there's a thread at the top of the IB Discussion forum), so you can get more of an idea of what you'll actually be doing. I think that's always important.

Well, if you're studying law in Australia, most universities offer it as an undergraduate degree. The University of Melbourne have stopped offering law as an undergraduate degree that you can get into straight from finishing school. You have to complete a degree first (if you're doing it there, it can be anything from Arts to Science to Biomedicine, which take three years), and then, depending on your grades and other selection criteria, you move onto the Juris Doctor program, which is where you gain your law qualifications. Hope that's a bit clearer.

I finished the IB last year, but I didn't pick my subjects wisely at all, and ended up hating most of them. I did Biology, Islamic History and English at HL, and Chemistry, Indonesian ab initio and Maths SL.
    Oh wow thanks I now understand the whole Australia business. Whats wrong with biology, history and english at HL? :O :confused: I am taking biology and history at SL and english at HL. So I was wondering if you could give me more details about each of those three courses? THANKS you have helped me so much.

- Repped.

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow thanks I now understand the whole Australia business. Whats wrong with biology, history and english at HL? :O :confused: I am taking biology and history at SL and english at HL. So I was wondering if you could give me more details about each of those three courses? THANKS you have helped me so much.

- Repped.
    Just be careful when picking law schools in Australia--most are undergraduate entry at the moment. I'm at La Trobe University, which is has undergraduate entry. Monash University is also a good one, and the entry requirements are high and spots are competitive (you need at least 40 IB points, for example).

There's nothing wrong with those subjects, I think it's a good combination in general. I was just lazy and not really happy with my choices personally.

However, I think Biology SL is one of the best options you can do if you're not interested in doing anything science-based at uni. I did the old course a High Level (the syllabi for the sciences changed in 2009), and Biology SL was really really good. Not very demanding at all, and I think one could even complete the syllabus in one year if you wanted to--it was really easy for self-study. A lot of it was memorisation and common sense, and the exam papers were dead easy. I think with some good preparation (making syllabus notes for each topic early, not falling behind, doing your best in the Internal Assessment), you could get a relatively easy, mark boosting 7.

I'm not sure about History at SL, as I did HL Islamic History before the course changed. I think if you have an interest in History, and keep up-to-date with the work, you should be fine. I also suggest going through the syllabus for History and maybe asking your teacher/coordinator for subject guides? The one thing with History, I found, was that they want a certain structure in answering questions, and a good knowledge and synthesis of the material. So in addition to knowing the actual history, you have to know how to answer the questions (particularly in the Document Analysis paper) according to the criteria. But I think if you're genuinely interested in History and not averse to working throughout the two years, you should enjoy it.

Any advice I give about English HL might be a little subjective...I absolutely loved the course, but I definitely suggest getting on top of the work as soon as possible. Read the books you'll be taking, and most importantly, adapt yourself to writing commentaries.

That's one whole exam paper you'll be doing in 2011, and the sooner you familiarise yourself with the commentary-writing style, the easier it'll be over the two years. That's what I found helped me the most--I came from a totally different style of teaching and learning English, and so commentary-writing came as a shock. Every teacher has their own technique in teaching commentary-writing, so I think the sooner you get some practice in, the better. That said, don't be scared! Everyone starts out at the same place--having no idea how to do it. Your first bunch of them will probably be awful, but don't feel disheartened, that's how you learn.

I think it's a bit early to be talking about World Lits, the Oral Commentary and such, but if you ever want to have a chat about them, you can PM me. I think what's essential for English at HL is not being overwhelmed by the essays and commentaries and large number of books you'll be reading, but taking time to develop technique and learn as much as you can. It helps if you find enjoyment in it, too.

Anyway, I hope this post isn't overlong, but those are some things I wish people told me when I started the IB. I got very overwhelmed very quickly, and I think my IB experience suffered. Don't be shocked if your marks start off low at the beginning of your IB, as it's a totally different program to what you've done, and as long as you pace yourself and study throughout the two years, you really will be fine. I also really recommend working on extra requirements like CAS as soon as possible.

But also--don't stress out. It's going to be a lot on your plate over the next two years, but you can also get so much out of it. Make sure you have somewhat of a social life and don't lock yourself up for 2 years--CAS is really good in getting one out of the house and involved.

And whatever you do--don't panic! The IB is definitely like nothing you would have done before, but doing well is not impossible. If you do your work consistently, make your study notes as you go (rather than doing them all in the weeks leading up to finals), and try your hardest, I guarantee you'll be fine. Getting a 40+ is absolutely not impossible, and the IB as a whole isn't really that difficult. The students who get the amazing grades at the end aren't technically the smartest or the brightest--they're the ones who managed their time, worked when they had to, and played when they had to.

Good luck, and feel free to PM if you have any further qs. x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.