Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone :} I'm currently an IB1 student. I would like to study business and management / economics in UK university. Most of top 15 UK universities require Maths HL but now I see that it's too hard for me. Whould I stick with it and pray to get 5 in an exam or should I take Maths SL and expect for 6 or 7? Also, I have Economics HL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apple tea)
    Hey everyone :} I'm currently an IB1 student. I would like to study business and management / economics in UK university. Most of top 15 UK universities require Maths HL but now I see that it's too hard for me. Whould I stick with it and pray to get 5 in an exam or should I take Maths SL and expect for 6 or 7? Also, I have Economics HL.
    Two points to consider:

1. A lot of the top 15 unis will want a 6 in HL maths (but not all, you need to check them out individually and see whether you can find 5 unis that will take you with less than a 6). There's a chance you might have to adjust your expectations a bit and settle for something with lower requirements.

2. Maths SL is not necessarily much easier than maths HL (in my opinion). Maths HL is more content but there's quite a lot of overlap between the two. When I did IB there were much less 6s and 7s in SL than HL because the people in SL thought it would be the easy way out when it wasn't.

ReputationRep:
    but wouldn't students, who have, lets say, Maths HL (6) and Maths SL(6)+Economics HL(7) have equal chances?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigFudamental)
    Maths SL is not necessarily much easier than maths HL (in my opinion). Maths HL is more content but there's quite a lot of overlap between the two. When I did IB there were much less 6s and 7s in SL than HL because the people in SL thought it would be the easy way out when it wasn't.
    I found Maths HL hideously difficult and SL easy-to-medium, I guess part of it is personal preference? HL is not only more content but also a higher difficulty - for example, SL only skims over 3D vectors but HL is pretty in-depth. In my year all the 7s in SL were from people who'd dropped down from the HL course after a year to take the easier option, but one person got a 5, partly because the papers were hellish and partly because they hadn't really worked in SL.

ReputationRep:
    but wouldn't students, who have, lets say, Maths HL (6) and Maths SL(6)+Economics HL(7) have equal chances?
    No definitely not. HL Maths is a big advantage. Also bear in mind that a lot of people will have Economics HL AND Maths HL.

ReputationRep:
    you're right... maths HL is a huge advantage... the only thing is that it is probably better to get 6 from Maths SL than 3 from Maths HL (which is very likely because my teacher is still a student and hasn't got any teaching experience + I'm not superb in maths)

ReputationRep:
    you're right... maths HL is a huge advantage... the only thing is that it is probably better to get 6 from Maths SL than 3 from Maths HL (which is very likely because my teacher is still a student and hasn't got any teaching experience + I'm not superb in maths)
    Yea definitely. If you think there's no way you'll do well at maths hl then clearly do sl instead. But be sure about it, there's some pretty good books for IB mathematics out there and you can teach yourself a lot of it if your teacher is crap.

ReputationRep:
    What's better, taking Geography SL and French B HL or the opposite?
    I wanna study business.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in my 2nd year of GCSE and have to choose IB subjects really soon, and I'm not sure what I should take. I have absolutely no idea what I want to study at university, which really isn't helping.

HL:
    English or Physics
    History
    Geography

SL:
    Chinese B
    Physics or English
    Maths - maybe Studies, depending on my GCSE.

My GCSE pre-mock-mock results were:
    English Lit: A
    English Lang: B - can probably raise this grade.
    Chinese (GCSE) - 80%
    Maths: C
    Science: A* - Physics + Bio was A* and Chemistry was an A
    (Geography: A
    History: A*
    Food Tech A)

So, my questions are:
    1) English or Physics? I enjoy physics more, but only if I have an interesting teacher, which is quite likely. Also, Physics is said to be quite difficult, and I'm not brilliant at it.
    English, I'm pretty good at, but I'm worried that there seems to be a lot more work than at English SL. Finally - which one is more useful?

2) Chinese B SL - I'm a non native speaker, and am wondering if this would be too difficult.
    At Ab Initio, I could take Italian - although I studied French for two years and found the grammar extremly difficult so I'm worried Italian may be similar - or I could take Japanese.

3) Standard Maths vs. Maths Studies - Do some universities dislike this level of maths? Would it be accepted if I wanted to study Geography, for instance?

Advice would be really helpful, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pipsky)
    Hi, I'm in my 2nd year of GCSE and have to choose IB subjects really soon, and I'm not sure what I should take. I have absolutely no idea what I want to study at university, which really isn't helping.

HL:
    English or Physics
    History
    Geography

SL:
    Chinese B
    Physics or English
    Maths - maybe Studies, depending on my GCSE.

My GCSE pre-mock-mock results were:
    English Lit: A
    English Lang: B - can probably raise this grade.
    Chinese (GCSE) - 80%
    Maths: C
    Science: A* - Physics + Bio was A* and Chemistry was an A
    (Geography: A
    History: A*
    Food Tech A)

So, my questions are:
    1) English or Physics? I enjoy physics more, but only if I have an interesting teacher, which is quite likely. Also, Physics is said to be quite difficult, and I'm not brilliant at it.
    English, I'm pretty good at, but I'm worried that there seems to be a lot more work than at English SL. Finally - which one is more useful?

2) Chinese B SL - I'm a non native speaker, and am wondering if this would be too difficult.
    At Ab Initio, I could take Italian - although I studied French for two years and found the grammar extremly difficult so I'm worried Italian may be similar - or I could take Japanese.

3) Standard Maths vs. Maths Studies - Do some universities dislike this level of maths? Would it be accepted if I wanted to study Geography, for instance?

Advice would be really helpful, thank you!
    1) I didn't personally take it, but Physics HL is said to be really hard even if you are good at it - there's always going to be the odd genius who finds it really easy, but generally I've heard that it's very, very difficult to do well. English HL is actually not that different from SL - there's an additional piece of coursework, you do a couple more books, and the questions are harder, but over two years that difference is pretty minimal. I'm fairly biased because I really liked English HL, but if you're predicted an A at GCSE and can put a bit of work into the subject at IB level, you should be fine.

Both English and Physics are useful - it depends what you want to do at university. Obviously Physics would be more applicable to a science-based course, and English would be more applicable to an arts-based course, but the skills you learn in both courses are very useful in general.

2) I've heard that Chinese tends to be harder than other languages at the same IB level - can someone please verify this for me? However, B SL languages, if you're fairly good at them, aren't TOO difficult. Try it out and see how you go, and then if it's too hard try an ab initio language.

3) Maths Studies is generally fine, but for the top universities (Oxbridge, LSE) is frowned upon. It depends on which course you're applying for and where you're applying really, but for something like Geography I don't imagine too many universities would be too picky, whereas if you were applying for something more science-y they probably would be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ps_iloveyou)
    Why did my forum move? Anyways, yeah I think that geography is pretty interesting. I take it for my GCSE. Population, Natural Hazards are really interesting. Settlement is okay, so is water. But I don't like coasts haha And case studies D:

But thanks anyway - what other subjects are you taking?
    Hey Yea well i like coasts because of being in australia its awesome, i hate settlements! and I love Natural hazards. If you want some good coasts case studies just ask.

I am also studying
    English HL
    Art HL
    Ecosystems and Societies
    AB french
    Maths Studies - finished the exam woot

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. so i pretty much have my subjects picked, as my school doesn't offer much variety in my courses. but, i was just wondering what paths this course selection could lead me to in the future. (basically my only option was to take history or economics.)

HL:
    English
    Chem
    History

SL:
    Maths
    French
    Physics

or, if taking economics over history would be a better option.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schnargle)
    1) I didn't personally take it, but Physics HL is said to be really hard even if you are good at it - there's always going to be the odd genius who finds it really easy, but generally I've heard that it's very, very difficult to do well. English HL is actually not that different from SL - there's an additional piece of coursework, you do a couple more books, and the questions are harder, but over two years that difference is pretty minimal. I'm fairly biased because I really liked English HL, but if you're predicted an A at GCSE and can put a bit of work into the subject at IB level, you should be fine.

Both English and Physics are useful - it depends what you want to do at university. Obviously Physics would be more applicable to a science-based course, and English would be more applicable to an arts-based course, but the skills you learn in both courses are very useful in general.

2) I've heard that Chinese tends to be harder than other languages at the same IB level - can someone please verify this for me? However, B SL languages, if you're fairly good at them, aren't TOO difficult. Try it out and see how you go, and then if it's too hard try an ab initio language.

3) Maths Studies is generally fine, but for the top universities (Oxbridge, LSE) is frowned upon. It depends on which course you're applying for and where you're applying really, but for something like Geography I don't imagine too many universities would be too picky, whereas if you were applying for something more science-y they probably would be.
    @schnargle:

Thank you so much for the advice! I think I'll take HL English and SL Physics, and talk to my teachers again about the rest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pipsky)

Yes, the grammar in French and Italian is pretty similar. Might be even more difficult in Italian, but I couldn't tell because the other one is my mother tongue. However, as mentioned, the ab initio courses are designed for beginners. So Chinese would (probably) start at the very basics, and if you really keep up with everything you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Hi i am thinking of pursuing a career in Engineering and when i looked on websites about the entry requirements they all say i need higher level maths. I started Ib in september and do standard level maths, and i don't think i am capable of managing higher maths as well as higher physics and chem. Will studying standard be okay or would you advise that i take a maths a level in my own time to make sure?

ReputationRep:
    Do math HL. I took SL math, and am now doing HL. SL is a joke if you're going into anything math-based.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilingdemon)
    Hi i am thinking of pursuing a career in Engineering and when i looked on websites about the entry requirements they all say i need higher level maths. I started Ib in september and do standard level maths, and i don't think i am capable of managing higher maths as well as higher physics and chem. Will studying standard be okay or would you advise that i take a maths a level in my own time to make sure?
    Definitely do HL Maths or self-teach A-Level.

ReputationRep:
    [B]Argh. I'm quite indecisive when it comes to these things...thing is, I'm more well-rounded (i.e. above average for all subjects) than extraordinary at say, 2 or 3 subjects. -.-"
    Hm. Potential future pathways include something economics-based, law or maybe even with managerial elements...

Got a bit of a dilemma:
    I'm thinking:

HL:
    - Economics
    - Maths (OTL. Gonna be hard...I did my IGCSE early, doing Add. Maths, but I know it cannot compare to IB.)
    - English A1 (Would it be a real shame not to take it at a higher level?)
    - Chemistry (Love chem, really want to do it at higher, BUT...)

SL:
    - Chinese A2
    - History (Although I don't feel particularly passionate about it, it is an essay-based subject), OR, Biology

I need to either move English or Chemistry to SL...dunno which...also need to bet rid of Biology or
    Help. Please.

Oh yes. I get consistent high A-A* in IGCSE in all the aforementioned subjects, again, back to the original problem...
    It would be great to hear feedback =D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookieskreme)
    [B]Argh. I'm quite indecisive when it comes to these things...thing is, I'm more well-rounded (i.e. above average for all subjects) than extraordinary at say, 2 or 3 subjects. -.-"
    Hm. Potential future pathways include something economics-based, law or maybe even with managerial elements...

Got a bit of a dilemma:
    I'm thinking:

HL:
    - Economics
    - Maths (OTL. Gonna be hard...I did my IGCSE early, doing Add. Maths, but I know it cannot compare to IB.)
    - English A1 (Would it be a real shame not to take it at a higher level?)
    - Chemistry (Love chem, really want to do it at higher, BUT...)

SL:
    - Chinese A2
    - History (Although I don't feel particularly passionate about it, it is an essay-based subject), OR, Biology

I need to either move English or Chemistry to SL...dunno which...also need to bet rid of Biology or
    Help. Please.

Oh yes. I get consistent high A-A* in IGCSE in all the aforementioned subjects, again, back to the original problem...
    It would be great to hear feedback =D
    For economics or law, either English or Chem HL should be fine as long as you're getting a good grade (some universities will specify a required number of points at HL, as well as an overall score). There's a big gap between Chem SL and Chem HL - Chem SL is easier, and covers maybe a half to two thirds of the HL material. English SL is also less work than HL, but it's not as big a difference - one less coursework piece, maybe two or three fewer books and slightly easier questions on the exam. It really depends which you feel you're better at and like more.

You could also take 4 HLs for a while and drop one down later - I did this when I wasn't sure if I could cope with HL Maths, and then when I did drop it I didn't have the worry of trying to 'upgrade' an SL subject. I wouldn't take 4 HLs for the final exams as it's a lot of pressure for something you barely get any credit for, but you could start with four and get a feel of which three you like the most.

I can't speak for History, but Biology SL (and HL, in fact) is so easy if you're good at the subject and can memorise a bunch of scientific facts. If you're predicted an A/A* at GCSE this should be an easy 6/7.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm currently making my choices for IB subjects and I'm facing a dilemma about Group 2.

I know I'm definitely going for Chinese at either A2 SL or B HL.

The problem is:
    • A2 SL is a bit too hard for me, so I'll most likely get a 5, maybe a low 6, pulling down my overall IB score.
    • While I could easily get a 6 or 7 at B HL, I'm a native Hong Kong Chinese, so I'm scared that good universities would discount my application if I take Chinese as a foreign language.

My other subjects are:
    HL: A1 English, History, Mathematics;
    SL: Economics, Physics.

Please advise.

Thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.