Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pipsky)
    Hi, I'm in my 2nd year of GCSE and have to choose IB subjects really soon, and I'm not sure what I should take. I have absolutely no idea what I want to study at university, which really isn't helping.

HL:
    English or Physics
    History
    Geography

SL:
    Chinese B
    Physics or English
    Maths - maybe Studies, depending on my GCSE.

My GCSE pre-mock-mock results were:
    English Lit: A
    English Lang: B - can probably raise this grade.
    Chinese (GCSE) - 80%
    Maths: C
    Science: A* - Physics + Bio was A* and Chemistry was an A
    (Geography: A
    History: A*
    Food Tech A)

So, my questions are:
    1) English or Physics? I enjoy physics more, but only if I have an interesting teacher, which is quite likely. Also, Physics is said to be quite difficult, and I'm not brilliant at it.
    English, I'm pretty good at, but I'm worried that there seems to be a lot more work than at English SL. Finally - which one is more useful?

2) Chinese B SL - I'm a non native speaker, and am wondering if this would be too difficult.
    At Ab Initio, I could take Italian - although I studied French for two years and found the grammar extremly difficult so I'm worried Italian may be similar - or I could take Japanese.

3) Standard Maths vs. Maths Studies - Do some universities dislike this level of maths? Would it be accepted if I wanted to study Geography, for instance?

Advice would be really helpful, thank you!
    Hello there! I am also in my second year of GCSE and I have to chose my subjects like next week! It's really similar our subject choices:

HL English
    HL History
    HL Geography

SL Chemistry
    SL Chinese B
    SL Math Studies

Hehe I just had to point it out Also, I really like physics as well but its REALLY challenging at IB. In fact, many people adviced me not to take a HL science unless you really need it because it's sooo hard. People tell me that chemistry is the easiest SL science as you only need to understand the theory. I enjoy both biology and physics so I guess chemistry is like in the middle.

I am a native speaker and doing first language IGCSE - the school doesn't permit first language students to take B standard but if you fight for it and get your parents and everything you can - and apparently everyone in top set chinese is doing B standard because they want a free seven LOL

Where do you study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ken Neth)
    Hey, I'm currently making my choices for IB subjects and I'm facing a dilemma about Group 2.

I know I'm definitely going for Chinese at either A2 SL or B HL.

The problem is:
    • A2 SL is a bit too hard for me, so I'll most likely get a 5, maybe a low 6, pulling down my overall IB score.
    • While I could easily get a 6 or 7 at B HL, I'm a native Hong Kong Chinese, so I'm scared that good universities would discount my application if I take Chinese as a foreign language.

My other subjects are:
    HL: A1 English, History, Mathematics;
    SL: Economics, Physics.

Please advise.

Thanks.
    I am a native Hong Kong chinese speaker too and I am talking B SL Chinese. I mean, I could easily scrape a 6 or a 7 in HL B if I work for it...but I don't want to work for it. 5 subjects is already HUGE for me so I want a relaxing subject where I don't have to work for. I know it's considered "cheating" but thats only if you plan to study in HK.

I am planning to go overseas like Australia or the UK so it doesn't matter. I'd rather get a higher IB points and a free 7 from B SL than do something which I have to work for. Because...I already have to work for 5 subjects.

PS. Your subject combination seems pretty hard :O

Me I am doing HL English, History, Geography
    SL Chinese, Chemistry, Math Studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ps_iloveyou)
    I am a native speaker and doing first language IGCSE - the school doesn't permit first language students to take B standard but if you fight for it and get your parents and everything you can - and apparently everyone in top set chinese is doing B standard because they want a free seven LOL
    I am a native Hong Kong chinese speaker too and I am talking B SL Chinese. I mean, I could easily scrape a 6 or a 7 in HL B if I work for it...but I don't want to work for it. 5 subjects is already HUGE for me so I want a relaxing subject where I don't have to work for. I know it's considered "cheating" but thats only if you plan to study in HK.

I am planning to go overseas like Australia or the UK so it doesn't matter. I'd rather get a higher IB points and a free 7 from B SL than do something which I have to work for. Because...I already have to work for 5 subjects.

PS. Your subject combination seems pretty hard :O

Me I am doing HL English, History, Geography
    SL Chinese, Chemistry, Math Studies

I'm doing first language at IGCSE too.

If you're a native speaker taking B SL, there have actually been a few cases in our school where the university discounted students' applications. That's the reason our school says the minimum for IGCSE 1st lang students is B HL at IB.

And taking B SL Chinese just seems TOO cheap anyway. hehe

I'm planning to go overseas too, actually, to US or UK. My school lets us apply to max 10 universities, so since there arn't that many really top unis in the UK, I'm planning to take SATs for US as well.

I consider my subject combination necessary, actually, since it leaves nearly all non-science subjects open. With the HL Math, I can go down the Econ/Banking/Finance/Business/Accounting/Management/Computer route in case my English language/English Literature/History/Law/Journalism dies. :P Still wishing our school offered Latin or Greek at KS3 and KS4 cuz I'm really interested in Classical Studies.

But anyway. Anyone know for sure whether native Chinese doing B Chinese would have his university application discounted on that basis?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing first language at IGCSE too.

If you're a native speaker taking B SL, there have actually been a few cases in our school where the university discounted students' applications. That's the reason our school says the minimum for IGCSE 1st lang students is B HL at IB.

And taking B SL Chinese just seems TOO cheap anyway. hehe

I'm planning to go overseas too, actually, to US or UK. My school lets us apply to max 10 universities, so since there arn't that many really top unis in the UK, I'm planning to take SATs for US as well.

I consider my subject combination necessary, actually, since it leaves nearly all non-science subjects open. With the HL Math, I can go down the Econ/Banking/Finance/Business/Accounting/Management/Computer route in case my English language/English Literature/History/Law/Journalism dies. :P Still wishing our school offered Latin or Greek at KS3 and KS4 cuz I'm really interested in Classical Studies.

But anyway. Anyone know for sure whether native Chinese doing B Chinese would have his university application discounted on that basis?
    Hi there. A friend in my IGCSE First Language class sent an email to Oxford and York asking about it. And there reply was: "as long as it is your second language there are no problems taking it!". Don't believe me? Ask Oxford or York yourself! Our school doesn't allow first languages to take B SL UNLESS your parents fight for it - which is what every parents doing.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. A friend in my IGCSE First Language class sent an email to Oxford and York asking about it. And there reply was: "as long as it is your second language there are no problems taking it!". Don't believe me? Ask Oxford or York yourself! Our school doesn't allow first languages to take B SL UNLESS your parents fight for it - which is what every parents doing.
    Holy Smokes. Do you go to South Island School? Your teacher is Ms. Li?

EDIT: Just looked at your profile. Why is your location "Australia", Katrina?

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm in Yr. 11 currently, and need to make my IB choices quite soon.

I want to attend medical school, but my Science mock-mock exam results have been very poor despite being very good in class. My problem is that I do not know what to choose between Chem HL/Bio SL or Chem SL/Bio HL. If I take Bio HL and Chemistry SL then it's decreases my chances of being accepted into a medical school. If I take Bio SL and Chem HL, it could be very hard for me and my teacher has doubts about me doing that combination (and I need his permission before choosing any Science subject).

I actually have to choose my choices before my next mocks which is in the coming weeks, which makes it hard for me because I want to know where I stand with my Science knowledge before making a final decision.

ReputationRep:
    Holy Smokes. Do you go to South Island School? Your teacher is Ms. Li?

EDIT: Just looked at your profile. Why is your location "Australia", Katrina?

Omg are you Kenneth? Hahha...I dont know why its australia...I thought it asked like where I was born? Haha coincidence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweedster)
    Hello, I'm in Yr. 11 currently, and need to make my IB choices quite soon.

I want to attend medical school, but my Science mock-mock exam results have been very poor despite being very good in class. My problem is that I do not know what to choose between Chem HL/Bio SL or Chem SL/Bio HL. If I take Bio HL and Chemistry SL then it's decreases my chances of being accepted into a medical school. If I take Bio SL and Chem HL, it could be very hard for me and my teacher has doubts about me doing that combination (and I need his permission before choosing any Science subject).

I actually have to choose my choices before my next mocks which is in the coming weeks, which makes it hard for me because I want to know where I stand with my Science knowledge before making a final decision.
    Why not do some past papers to find out?

And there's no reason you can't take 2 HL sciences anyway. If you're passionate about something, you'll study hard at it; it's that simple.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys
    I'm in 2nd year of IGCSE right now and I just has IB school option fair last week.

I want to become a dentist. Can you guys please advise me what subjects are required for dentistry? Here are the subjects I'm planning to take:

HL:
    Maths
    Economics
    Physics or Chemistry

SL:
    English A1
    French B
    Psychology

Are these subjects good combination for dentistry? :woo:

Thanxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackBunny103)
    Hey guys
    I'm in 2nd year of IGCSE right now and I just has IB school option fair last week.

I want to become a dentist. Can you guys please advise me what subjects are required for dentistry? Here are the subjects I'm planning to take:

HL:
    Maths
    Economics
    Physics or Chemistry

SL:
    English A1
    French B
    Psychology

Are these subjects good combination for dentistry? :woo:

Thanxx
    (not sure if this is 100% right cuz I'm a wannabe medic rather than wannabe dentist), but I'm pretty sure you'll need higher chemistry and either standard or higher biology for most of the unis in the uk

ReputationRep:
    Thanxx for the advice:yes:
    Well the problem is that my school offers Chemistry only in group 6, and I wanna take both Chemistry and Psychology but it's not possible with an option block like this. :sadnod:

So I'm wondering for dentistry, between biology or chemistry, which one is more beneficial and important? :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Chem is deffo the most important one.. I think you can apply to some without biology, but I don't think you can apply to any unis for dentistry without chemistry

ReputationRep:
    Hi there everyone.

What do we think of these subjects for a humanities-based course such as history, polotics or social and Political sciences. I'm aiming for an application to oxbridge.

Maths Studies SL
    Biology SL
    Spanish SL/HL
    Physchology SL/HL
    English HL
    History HL

I am a little worried about whether maths studies will be sufficient. Will universities see it as an "easy way out". My teacher says that, with some hard work, I would be aiming for a 6 in maths SL. In maths studies, however, with little work, she says I should achieve a 7. Would universities distinguish between these? Further, is pure maths worth the extra work load where I could possibly be concentrating on my other subjects?

Finally, any advice on the choice between spanish HL/physchology HL?

Thanks for all your help in advance

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the diploma, and I'm trying to choose between HL math or HL biology... because i dont know what else to choose for my HLs.
    tell me which one is easier/less stressful?

ReputationRep:
    how good is your maths. HL maths is often seen as the most difficult subject.

on the other hand, HL Biology is a lot of content and just memorising things for the exam.

So if you memory is good go for biology, if your maths is good go for maths.

ps have you considered what you wanna do at uni yet? you need HL maths for certain subjects not involving maths, whereas some unis just want either one of chem or biology at HL even for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    I know i want to do something related to biology/chemistry because i'm already taking HL chemistry.

Math makes me very stressed out and i hate practicing so many damn problems and learning things way too fast. and i'm only average at math
    but at the same time, i find biology interesting, but a bit boring at the same time if im just memorizing stuff...

ReputationRep:
    Biology!

Maths HL is REEEALLLYY difficult

Biology HL is just a lot more interesting than SL, not more difficult but simply has more volume

Deffo go Biology HL, Maths SL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nightwalker1570)
    I know i want to do something related to biology/chemistry because i'm already taking HL chemistry.

Math makes me very stressed out and i hate practicing so many damn problems and learning things way too fast. and i'm only average at math
    but at the same time, i find biology interesting, but a bit boring at the same time if im just memorizing stuff...
    Seriously, to do maths at higher level you have to ADORE it. I know lots of people that hate it after previously loving it at GCSE so if you take it without liking it to begin with you're basically screwed. I do Biology HL, it's alright. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nightwalker1570)
    From what you've said here I'd say Bio. Boring is better than stressful to be honest.

Also, what is your third HL if you've already chosen Chem?

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am doing the IB atm, want to do dentistry, i want to drop to maths studies coz im in standard... do you think this is ok?

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.