The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Biology is waaaaaaaaaaaay easier. I took both and gave up Maths HL after a year. Saved me an awful lot of stress.
Depends on your other subjects. I would stick with maths sl, though. It is not so difficult after all and dentistry is a science subject. Check out the academic requirements for dentistry at your preferred unis website.
Definitely take biology since you don't seem to like math too much. I took both bio and math at HL and found bio much easier. although ironically the percentage of 7s for bio HL is lower than that for math, but that's probably because people do better for bio in general so it's harder to clinch a 7 once the results are subject to the bell curve.
Reply 283
How well you do in HL Math really depends on experiences in previous math classes, and your general interest in the subject. If you have a good mathematical background, go for it, it really isn't as hard as people make it out to be. This year is my first in IB, i'm taking both HL Math and HL Bio. Take Biology if you have a really good memory, take math if you have a solid background in Mathematics....
Reply 284
To sum it up, if you really like math, then take math HL
else take biology HL

If you're gonna be doing something very technical later on in uni (eg. engineering or just a math major or whatever) the uni that you go into, assuming it's a decent one, will probably teach the math better than IB does anyways.
hi
do universities like it if students study environmental systems and societies??
since people think it's an 'easy way out'
but I'm not good at any particular science subject plus I don't know what i want to study in university.

Please help me.
Thanks
Reply 286
Hi all,

The subjects I am currently thinking of doing for IB are:

Mathematics HL
English HL
Economics HL
History SL
Physics SL
Chinese A2 SL

The questions I have are:

1)I'm still not sure about the HL/SL combinations. The only ones I definitely want are Maths HL and Chinese SL. The others are all changeable, so I want to hear your opinions on what HL/SL combinations I should choose. I'm favouring ecnomics as one of them but would it be considered by universities as easier than the other 3?

2)I didn't take economics or history at GCSE level, so I'm wondering how hard they would be. Anybody care to share their experiences?

3)Due to school policy reasons, I may have to change either History or Economics to Computer Science. If so, which should i change? Also how is computer sciene like?

I guess I'm slightly more interested in Economics compared to the other subjects, but I've nevery experienced any courses relating to it so I can't be sure.

Thanks!
Choose the ones you enjoy more. Economics isn't considered an easy subject as far as I know so don't worry about that.

I've never done economics or history or comp sci so I can't help with the final questions. However, given that you're more interested economics, drop history if you have to.
Reply 288
I'm pretty sure history is harder than economics. I've also heard that computer science is really difficult.
Reply 289
At my old school we couldn't even do Economics at GCSE level, the majority of my friends took it at IB level though and they all did really well! History isn't hard if you're enthusiastic about it, it's a LOT of work believe me, I took it at HL - if you think you can pull it off then it's a great course! History at SL has a much much smaller work load, if that helps (:
I would like to study law in the future.
For this reason, I have to take subjects I did not take for GCSE:

HL English
HL History
HL Philosophy

SL Biology
SL Chinese
SL Math Studies

I am slightly worried about history and philosophy.
Both of them I have not taken in GCSE.
In GCSE (or IGCSE) I take geography and economics.
I love them both but I love law more. And economics I've heard is hard at IB. But so is history and philosophy.

Please give me some advice! Thanks!!
history is a good one for law.
Hi there everyone. I am currently choosing the following subjects for IB:

HL English
HL History
HL Philosophy/Geography

SL Biology
SL Chinese
SL Maths/Math Studies

Just a few questions (if you reply PLEASE quote!!!):

1. I have not taken history or philosophy for gcse...will I suffer in IB?
2. I am not sure whether I should take philosophy or geography. I want to take law...so which is better? I have basic background for geography (i do it now for gcse) and isn't philosophy really boring?
3. Which is better, math or math studies for law? Does it matter?
Reply 293
missnogood
Hi there everyone. I am currently choosing the following subjects for IB:

HL English
HL History
HL Philosophy/Geography

SL Biology
SL Chinese
SL Maths/Math Studies

Just a few questions (if you reply PLEASE quote!!!):

1. I have not taken history or philosophy for gcse...will I suffer in IB?
2. I am not sure whether I should take philosophy or geography. I want to take law...so which is better? I have basic background for geography (i do it now for gcse) and isn't philosophy really boring?
3. Which is better, math or math studies for law? Does it matter?

1. You might do in History
2. I would say philosophy would be better for law, but in reality it doesn't make a big difference. Take the one you enjoy the most, neither are a requirement for law, and you'll look better with a high grade in geography than a low grade in philosophy. So go for the one you think you'll do best in and that you'll enjoy the most.
3. Definitely do math SL, and not math studies. I don't know specifically for law, but a lot of universities prefer math SL. Math studies is a perfectly good math qualification, but it can limit you in your university choices, so if you're ok-good at math, definitely do math SL. You can always drop to studies if you find you're struggling.

and I loved biology SL, so I'd say that's a good choice for a science :biggrin:
Hope that helps.
History is really good. It helps with critical analysis.
Philosophy should be fine as well. I've heard it's very
interesting.
Yeah, since all three of your HL's are fairly essay-based,
you should be fine for law : )
Those subjects are all about hard work. Focus, and you'll do well!
That's the great thing about the IB!
i think your HL's are excellent. history forces you to use think cause-and-effect, and philosophy forces you to play with arguments and form complex ones too. both skills needed in law.
bemusedcapybara
i think your HL's are excellent. history forces you to use think cause-and-effect, and philosophy forces you to play with arguments and form complex ones too. both skills needed in law.

The problem is...I heard philosophy is very hard and boring? And also I am choosing over psychology and philosophy. Although I understand that you cannot "read" people's minds, I mean at least you know how the brain works and all that :smile: I think its better than learning about ethics and duolisms or however you spell that. But I dont know...suggestions?
bemusedcapybara

I am starting to think my subjects are really hard. HL English, History...Philosophy. I think they're gonna kill me ESPECIALLY as I have not done it for GCSEs. I dont know...is philosophy really hard and boring?
mysterieux26
I am currently in IB1, and I am so stressed right now, could it be becuase of my subject combination? Is this a mistake:

Math HL
Chemistry HL
Biology HL
Psychology HL
Chinese A2 SL
English SL

I chose them based on what I LIKE, but i'm not sure if I can handle it all the way- what would you guys recommend? Should I drop Psychology, since only 3% of people get 7s? I am aiming to get a 40 for the IB exam and to get into a science program. I'm doing well in all of my subjects right now except chinese, but it's getting too stressful to maintain it.

It might be too much to take 4 HLs, as universities don't really give the extra HL special consideration despite all the extra work you're putting in (which can be VERY stressful), and if you're aiming for 40+ it's considerably more difficult to do so if you're taking an extra HL. Some people have coped just fine and done well regardless, but in my opinion it's not worth the extra effort unless you're really on top of EVERYTHING.

Psychology seems like the best one to drop if you're planning to study science, as well as it being quite difficult to do well in.
mysterieux26
I am currently in IB1, and I am so stressed right now, could it be becuase of my subject combination? Is this a mistake:

Math HL
Chemistry HL
Biology HL
Psychology HL
Chinese A2 SL
English SL

I chose them based on what I LIKE, but i'm not sure if I can handle it all the way- what would you guys recommend? Should I drop Psychology, since only 3% of people get 7s? I am aiming to get a 40 for the IB exam and to get into a science program. I'm doing well in all of my subjects right now except chinese, but it's getting too stressful to maintain it.

First of all...you are totally aware that you will not again any advantages whatsoever doing 4 HL's, right? I mean...it does not make you more competitive than one doing only 3 HL's.

ALSO i would like to ask you a question: how hard is psychology HL? Is it fun, boring, easy...etc...interesting? Thanks.

PS. Drop Chinese to B SL and get a free 7 :smile: Thats what I'm doing.

Latest

Trending

Trending