The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

missnogood

PS. Drop Chinese to B SL and get a free 7 :smile: Thats what I'm doing.

Shurrup wouldya?! :p::smile: It's really annoying when you (or anyone else even) bangs on about getting this magical free 7 from doing Chinese B when you're already fluent. Some of us actually have to work hard to get those points... And just so you know, there are actual rules set in place by the IB to ensure that you don't do exactly this!

At my school you would be forced to take Chinese A2.
fizzicsfiend
Shurrup wouldya?! :p::smile: It's really annoying when you (or anyone else even) bangs on about getting this magical free 7 from doing Chinese B when you're already fluent. Some of us actually have to work hard to get those points... And just so you know, there are actual rules set in place by the IB to ensure that you don't do exactly this!

At my school you would be forced to take Chinese A2.

Oh I'm so sorry I didn't mean to hurt anyone. I take that back (: But I was referring to the other person and if he is struggling with A2, he could drop.
Reply 302
For IB I'm taking:
HL- English A1, Psychology, Business&Management
SL-Biology, Math SL, French B

Are these subjects appropriate for studying law? I realize my HLs arent very traditional, but if Im doing well in them and have a good personal statement should it be a problem? Its too late to change subjects but im attempting to change from business to economics.

Also, can anyone advise me about some unis in the UK that have relatively easier standards for law as compared to UCL, etc?
Reply 303
rhea45
For IB I'm taking:
HL- English A1, Psychology, Business&Management
SL-Biology, Math SL, French B

Are these subjects appropriate for studying law? I realize my HLs arent very traditional, but if Im doing well in them and have a good personal statement should it be a problem? Its too late to change subjects but im attempting to change from business to economics.

Also, can anyone advise me about some unis in the UK that have relatively easier standards for law as compared to UCL, etc?

If you would like to go for the top universities I seriously advice you NOT to take business or psychology together. You must have a strong essay-based subject like history. In fact, if you go to Cambridge you would see that the requirements are english and history. Business is considered a "soft" subject and psychology is not a "traditional" subject...so you may be slightly disadvantaged.

I am doing law too and I am studying:
HL English, History, Geography
SL Maths, Biology, Chinese

Traditional subjects: english, any language, any science, philosophy, history, geography, economics.

Soft subjects: business studies, media studies, math studies, environmental systems
Reply 304
scumie
If you would like to go for the top universities I seriously advice you NOT to take business or psychology together. You must have a strong essay-based subject like history. In fact, if you go to Cambridge you would see that the requirements are english and history. Business is considered a "soft" subject and psychology is not a "traditional" subject...so you may be slightly disadvantaged.

I am doing law too and I am studying:
HL English, History, Geography
SL Maths, Biology, Chinese

Traditional subjects: english, any language, any science, philosophy, history, geography, economics.

Soft subjects: business studies, media studies, math studies, environmental systems

Yepp, I've spoken to my IB coordinator about switching from business HL to Economics HL and she said she'll decide by January =S Im just hoping my request follows through and if not, do you think I can still apply to the lower-end universities?
Reply 305
rhea45
Yepp, I've spoken to my IB coordinator about switching from business HL to Economics HL and she said she'll decide by January =S Im just hoping my request follows through and if not, do you think I can still apply to the lower-end universities?

I think if you get good grades, you can still apply to some of the high-end universities.
Reply 306
rhea45

Well of course you can get into the lower-end universities if you have good grades. But if you want to do law...I mean like in college I am talking about...it will be all about writing, analysing (which is english and history) and you might need these to develop ur skills (:

Do economics!! I am thinking about switching my geography with economics too :smile:
Reply 307
I've done my YR11 mocks recently and my economics teacher emailed all of us privately our results - which he was not meant to do until after christmas. I was really surprised that I got an A in economics because I thought it was a really tough subject. I got a C last time in my mock-mock, but for my real examination I hope to achieve an A*. (My coursework is an A*).

So I was wondering if I should take IB economics HL? I can't take it at SL because it's quite full already, but I'm scared that economics HL will be very tough and I might not manage. I am not very smart...and economics is a tough subject, but quite interesting and I do like it :smile: Also, many people say that the 'theory of firm' bit is really hard which got me quite confused because the syllabus says that the theory of firm are stuff like revenue, profit, long-run, short-run, monopoly, oligopoly...so whats so hard about that? Is it more in depth or what?

Thanks so much (: Any details about economics is appreciated!

PS. I will rep the best and detailed answers :smile:
Reply 308
scumie
I've done my YR11 mocks recently and my economics teacher emailed all of us privately our results - which he was not meant to do until after christmas. I was really surprised that I got an A in economics because I thought it was a really tough subject. I got a C last time in my mock-mock, but for my real examination I hope to achieve an A*. (My coursework is an A*).

So I was wondering if I should take IB economics HL? I can't take it at SL because it's quite full already, but I'm scared that economics HL will be very tough and I might not manage. I am not very smart...and economics is a tough subject, but quite interesting and I do like it :smile: Also, many people say that the 'theory of firm' bit is really hard which got me quite confused because the syllabus says that the theory of firm are stuff like revenue, profit, long-run, short-run, monopoly, oligopoly...so whats so hard about that? Is it more in depth or what?

Thanks so much (: Any details about economics is appreciated!

PS. I will rep the best and detailed answers :smile:

really the only difference between HL and SL is the Theory of the firm. I loved that part of the course, made my understanding of economics so much better! At my school SL people took HL classes because there werent many SL's to begin with and they just said that it's good knowledge even if it's not required.

You only do 2 papers in SL in the final exam and 3 in HL. I think that allows HL students to get more time to show the examiners about exactly how much they know. :smile:
ok, so i am going to start the ibdp and im quite puzzled about my subject choice.
i have done IGCSE and i scored an A* in math, chem, bio, english lit, english lang, physics and business and an A for my second lang Hindi
im planning on doing medicine and the subject requirements in various universities are mind boggling! im looking into UK or New Zealand
i plan on taking HL bio n chem and SL business and ab french. i am confused on whether to take HL math or HL english. i am very passionate of literature and to take HL english is like my dream! [excuse me i can be weird XD] and HL math is err...tough. but according to my sources an HL math student is preferred over an HL english student. is it true? either way i wont be dropping math or english, one of them will end as my SL subject.
Reply 310
Then take HL English. Simple.
Reply 311
Edamame
Then take HL English. Simple.

^ - What he said !!
lol thanx :smile:
but what about the bit of an HL math student getting picked over an HL english kid? is it true??
Reply 313
If the requirement for particular universities is HL maths, then yes. For many medicine courses I expect this is indeed the case (It certianly is in UK).

However, if there isn't a specific HL maths requirement, go with the English, or whatever you want to do more.

If you're not a "maths person" yet you love English, getting a 6/7 in English would be better than getting a 4/5 in Maths and vice versa.

So do HL English unless you really want to get into a university which insists on HL maths.
Reply 314
I have been doing IB for around 3 months now and I am pretty sure I want to study Law in the UK for University. I have done research for the top 30 Universities in the UK and I precisely know what points I will need in order to get in. Based upon my research, most Universities does not have much requirements for law as long as I get sufficient points. I was choosing between Business or Law, and when I was researching for Business, for example on the King's College London website, it stated that I need 36 points overall with 6, 6, 5 at higher level and 6 in English and Maths at at least standard level, where as for Law, all it said was 38 points. This applies to many other Universities based on my research. Therefore I am assuming that all I need to do is get 38 points or more for Law? I am not really keen on Science and Maths.....

My subjects are:
HL English A1
HL Philosophy
HL Business

SL B Chinese
SL Biology
SL Maths Studies

I was wondering if these subjects are good enough to do Law? I have chosen to do Maths at standard level at the start of the year, however I found it quite hard despite not doing too bad in my first two chapter tests, getting a level 6 for both. Nonetheless, I have placed a lot of time and work into it and have placed too little time on other subjects. Therefore I decided to do Maths Studies. Would that be a problem? :frown: My school has also announced that it may be too late to change subjects as my friends have failed to change subjects not long ago. I am not aiming to get into the top Universities such as Cambridge or Oxford, but I am aiming for ones such as Kings, Warwick, Nottingham, York or so.... And I am pretty confident I can get around 38 points as I will work my ass off! :yes:

These are my GCSE grades if this would help.
A* for PE, Chinese and Media Studies
A for English Language, English Literature, History, Maths
B for Science (Double Award) and Economics
Reply 315
Hey....im quite new to TSR...though i wish I had joined it earlier
I'm doing my IB now...and the subjects that I've taken are

English HL
Math SL
Philosophy HL
Economics HL
Chemistry SL
Spanish Ab Initio

I want to do Law after this...but I read somewhere that History is a requirement in Universities like Cambridge...is that true? is it actually a requirement and does it mean my application won't be considered if this requirement isn't fulfilled?:confused:
arpitav
Hey....im quite new to TSR...though i wish I had joined it earlier
I'm doing my IB now...and the subjects that I've taken are

English HL
Math SL
Philosophy HL
Economics HL
Chemistry SL
Spanish Ab Initio

I want to do Law after this...but I read somewhere that History is a requirement in Universities like Cambridge...is that true? is it actually a requirement and does it mean my application won't be considered if this requirement isn't fulfilled?:confused:

No, it is not required:
http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/law/requirements.html
They don't look for any specific subjects. :smile:
Same goes for Oxford:
http://denning.law.ox.ac.uk/undergraduate/admitfaqscourse1.shtml
Reply 317
The subjects I've chosen so far are
Chinese A2 SL
Eng SL
Physics SL
History HL
Econ HL
Maths HL

The problem is, because of scheduling problems this subject combination would not fit. Now I have to either drop Chinese to B Higher and do 4 HL's, or drop Economics to SL and push either Eng or Physics up. The doing 4 HL's part is not much of a problem as A2 SL would be harder than B HL anyways, but by doing this I would miss out on a Billingual diploma.

So what should i move to SL and HL?
sheldonxp
The subjects I've chosen so far are
Chinese A2 SL
Eng SL
Physics SL
History HL
Econ HL
Maths HL

The problem is, because of scheduling problems this subject combination would not fit. Now I have to either drop Chinese to B Higher and do 4 HL's, or drop Economics to SL and push either Eng or Physics up. The doing 4 HL's part is not much of a problem as A2 SL would be harder than B HL anyways, but by doing this I would miss out on a Billingual diploma.

So what should i move to SL and HL?

well, it depends on if you're really keen on getting the bilingual diploma or not. Do you know what you want to study in uni?
Personally, I'd prefer getting a bilingual diploma - I'm doing two A1s as well. :smile: But, if you're able to do Chinese as A2 are you allowed to do Chinese B?
If I were you I'd drop Econ to SL, but I really dont see the need for you to do 4 HLs...it doesn't put you at an advantage only more work.
Reply 319
Hello everybody!!
So I've got a slight problem about choosing my future classes, no way...
Ive been considering to study engineering in college and end up working in the merchant navy, however, I'm not a genius in math, and i hardly studied physics (even thought I find that the little I did study was simply amazing ) I considered taking the following classes:

Physics HL
Spanish B HL (I just moved to argentina, easy one to choose ahah)
Chemistry HL / History (Chemistry really depends whether its necessary in order to study engineering or not, since im not a crack at it, and would be ready to put it down. Also, is history a smart choice or is there a more useful class I could replace it with?)

English A1 SL
Math SL
The last class really depends on the choice I made for HL, so chemistry or history(? for that one haha) will go here

Do you think its possible to access an engineering class in Uni with math SL? I plan to go in US/Canada/ or Australia, Europe is just too far away from South America....

Thanks in advance!!

Latest

Trending

Trending