Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greg.B)
    Hello everybody!!
    So I've got a slight problem about choosing my future classes, no way...
    Ive been considering to study engineering in college and end up working in the merchant navy, however, I'm not a genius in math, and i hardly studied physics (even thought the little I simply loved the little I studied) I considered taking the following classes:

Physics HL
    Spanish B HL (I just moved to argentina, easy one to choose ahah)
    Chemistry HL / History (Chemistry really depends whether its necessary in order to study engineering or not, since im not a crack at it, and would be ready to put it down. Also, is history a smart choice or is there a more useful class I could replace it with?)

English A1 SL
    Math SL
    The last class really depends on the choice I made for HL, so chemistry or history(? for that one haha) will go here

Do you think its possible to access an engineering class in Uni with math SL? I plan to go in US/Canada/ or Australia, Europe is just too far away from South America....

Thanks in advance!!
    well generally i think math HL is good for engineering, but it depends on the caliber of the university you are aiming for. so if you want to keep math SL, then do so. i don't know if chemistry at HL is required for engineering (seems a bit strange to me personally). however, history is very useful in my opinion - but in terms of generally knowledge of the world and your ability to analyze, think critically, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the process of choosing my ib subjects. I'm hoping to pursue law after ib so I have these subjects in mind:

English HL
    Physcology HL

Maths SL
    Swedish SL / or French SL (I haven't decided yet.)
    Biology SL

I haven't decided a 3rd HL. I've read taking History might be useful, but I'm really bad at History ;__; Economy is another option (or Art)
    Are my subject options ok?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsgleek)
    I'm in the process of choosing my ib subjects. I'm hoping to pursue law after ib so I have these subjects in mind:

English HL
    Physcology HL

Maths SL
    Swedish SL / or French SL (I haven't decided yet.)
    Biology SL

I haven't decided a 3rd HL. I've read taking History might be useful, but I'm really bad at History ;__; Economy is another option (or Art)
    Are my subject options ok?
    for law after IB you want history and english at HL, that's what i recommend. otherwise put history at SL but i think you definitely need history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bemusedcapybara)
    for law after IB you want history and english at HL, that's what i recommend. otherwise put history at SL but i think you definitely need history.
    Thanks for replying! Do you know if Physcology is useful? One of my teachers told me it's basically a filler subject but i don't really know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tashaaaness)
    Hey!

Okay so I basically need some help.

I'm planning to pursue either vet med/med/pharmacy (but more likely pharmacy) and I picked these IB subjects:

HL
    Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry

SL
    Spanish ab initio
    English A1
    History

)
    You're subject chosen are great, on paper, but seriously, you'll die with all those subjects....i used to do maths, history and bio high and it was really tough....so i dropped maths and i'm doing standard now.
    My advice is to keep the HLs because they suit your career, but drop history, because it is REALLY hard, A LOTTTTTT of essays to do and things to remember and with maths high you don't really have the time!

You could do something like business at standard, or maybe another language?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonlight_freakout)
    You're subject chosen are great, on paper, but seriously, you'll die with all those subjects....i used to do maths, history and bio high and it was really tough....so i dropped maths and i'm doing standard now.
    My advice is to keep the HLs because they suit your career, but drop history, because it is REALLY hard, A LOTTTTTT of essays to do and things to remember and with maths high you don't really have the time!

You could do something like business at standard, or maybe another language?
    still needs a social science though, right? You could take economics, anthropology or psychology?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maria91)
    still needs a social science though, right? You could take economics, anthropology or psychology?
    Nope, because another language B would still fit in the same group (which is either group 3 or group 6)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonlight_freakout)
    Nope, because another language B would still fit in the same group (which is either group 3 or group 6)
    She already has two sciences, and if she drops history for a language B she won't have a group 3. A language B is group 2, and like I said she picked another science for her 6th subject... and I'm pretty sure a Language B isn't the same as a social science...

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to start IB next year and I want to take three sciences... Is anyone else doing that? What's it like?

ReputationRep:
    Me
    I do Chem, Physics and Math at HL then Bio at SL.
    Seriously Bio at SL requires no work, I essentially class it as a free period, so Bio HL can't be too bad (in fact I learnt most of their sylabbus for my interviews). If I were to do it again i'd move physics or math to SL and Bio to HL, as physics is by far the hardest science, and math is equally as challenging.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks.
    When you do 3 sciences, then you don't get a 'normal' Ib diploma, but an 'irregular' one, right? Do universities care about this at all?

ReputationRep:
    Erm... Well you have to request permission from the IB first I believe. So what group is the subject you are missing from? Group 3 (Geo, Business, Econ, History etc)?

ReputationRep:
    I dunno. If you are competent with science, go for it. I was competent and I'm finding Chemistry Standard Level and Physics Higher Level to be more than enough difficulty.

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend, who takes Maths, Biology, Chemistry & Physics HL, then SL English A1, French ab & Psychology.

He got 7s in all the sciences (his first semester) & a 6 in Maths.
    He thought English took more work than all the sciences combined!

So it depends on the person really :P

ReputationRep:
    I have not chosen my subject combination yet. However, there are 4 that I am sure to choose:
    -HL: Maths, Econ
    -SL: English, Chinese ab

However, I am having a hard time choosing the other 2 subjects as I'm considering between
    -Physics HL, Business SL
    or
    -Computer Science HL, Physics SL

I am definitely going for Eco/business so really, I do not care much about science

I heard some people say that studying business in IB is a waste because they are teaching the same thing again in uni and my critical thinking which is needed for business is not very sharp

So can anyone give me advice
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Well, i am planning to do Maths, Chem, Bio and Phys HL and it sounds like it can be done so I guess I will go for it!
    :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jewel2012)
    Well, i am planning to do Maths, Chem, Bio and Phys HL and it sounds like it can be done so I guess I will go for it!
    :P
    PS. I only recommend it if:
    a) you are extremely self-disciplined & organized
    b) you are strong in each and every science
    c) you are very interested in each and every science

ReputationRep:
    i have the same problem. anyone have any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diatrochoi)
    I have not chosen my subject combination yet. However, there are 4 that I am sure to choose:
    -HL: Maths, Econ
    -SL: English, Chinese ab

However, I am having a hard time choosing the other 2 subjects as I'm considering between
    -Physics HL, Business SL
    or
    -Computer Science HL, Physics SL

I am definitely going for Eco/business so really, I do not care much about science

I heard some people say that studying business in IB is a waste because they are teaching the same thing again in uni and my critical thinking which is needed for business is not very sharp

So can anyone give me advice
    Thanks
    Well, Physics & Computer Science are both strong HL subjects: which do you prefer (enjoy more)? Both are also quite difficult apparently.

ReputationRep:
    My point is that my last HL is just to score and it has nothing to do with my later career

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.