Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Whether or not you achieve a 7 depends mostly on your effort and your work, so despite having not a lot of previous experience with programming, but you are interested in it, go for it...

ReputationRep:
    In your school do you use the "computer science java enabled" book, right?
    Its Java part and algorithm code are not self-explanatory to a beginner like me, that's why I am very worried

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xIsabelle)
    hi guys! need some advice from you here

i'm starting IB only september 2010, but already have some worries about my subject choice. i am interested in studying PPE (not sure about which universities am going to apply though, depends on the grades). so, usually subject choice for this course would be similar to this:

HL English, History, Economics
    SL Math, Lithuanian, Biology

right? but the point is that everyone from my school who's in IB now keeps saying that HL Economics is very very difficult and only geniuses can get 7 there. i am also not so sure about Math SL... this year i am not very well at it because of lots of geometry. is there a lot of it in the IB Math SL also?
    and finally, even though i am about 80% sure that i'm going to study outside of my coutry, there's still slight possibility that i could change my mind and consider staying, but universities here require Lithuanian exam, which requires HL Lithuanian...
    so, what could you advise me in this situation?:rolleyes:
    If you might want to stay in Lithuania, you should take HL Litunanian and English A2. Then you will widen your options. Also, Math SL is actually mostly calculus. But there is a trig unit and a vector unit.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think we use any book (I don't take CS, but lot of my classmates do, so I have a lot of first-hand info from them) at our school... the course itself starts with C++ (basics of programming and algorithms) and continues with Java after half a year or so... And most of the students taking CS here had only some experience with C/C++/Basic (if any) before IB... So don't be worried, if you don't really understand the book... You'll start with basics and there's always a teacher to help you... Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not 4 HLs. It's pointless. I agree with Ragnar. Just go for the ones with the best teachers and the subjects you are most interested in.

If you already know Bio, there's really nothing new there. Go for Physics HL.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I intend to pursue a course in Medicine. Here's my subject combination:

HL: Bio, Chem, Econs
    SL: Eng, Math, Mandarin B

Here's the problem. My main issue concerns my foreign language, which I have almost no recollection of since I stopped studying Mandarin in primary school. The thing is, I don't qualify for Mandarin ab initio because I have a background in Mandarin, and I find that Mandarin B is really really hard. I'm not sure that if I take Mandarin B, whether it will compromise any of the other subjects I'm thinking of. My question is this: How long is the Mandarin B course? I heard from the teachers in my school that it's a 1 year course, with the exams being held at the end of the 1st year of IB. So will the pace of learning be accelerated because its a 1 year course? Is it possible for me to do it over 2 years instead of 1, so that I will be able to catch up slowly, or is it strictly a 1 year course? I'm really confused, so any help out there will be really appreciated. Thanks a million ! Any other advice on what I should do will also be great. THANKS!

ReputationRep:
    ALright :eek3:
    I am in Yr.11 and is really interested in studying Psychology and wants to be a psychiatrist (if not veterinary/accounting) but i am well aware of all the writings. My current English grade in B adv is 6 so i am worried whether or not i'll be capable of this subject. However i might be taking both or either HL of Bio and Chem?

Also what subjects are better suited if i study psychology/bio perhaps like history???
    so like i plan on to study:
    Higher Level= English A2, Biology, Chemistry
    Standard Level= Chinese A1 SL, Math Sl

P.S Our school is finally giving us an opportunity to study Psychology but only in SL as they consider it as writing and reading intensive and only a limited spaces available)

Please help!

"]]] Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I plan to study medicine which i could be a veterinary or psychiatrist or maybe doc..but sadly enough my grades are not so great..plain average...4-5...apparently 38-40..

With the subject Choices...
    HL: Bio, CHem, English A2
    SL: Math, Chinese A1, Psychology

is this any good??

ReputationRep:
    hmm I'm not really sure what you're asking? If you'll be capable of taking Psychlogy SL even if you're in English A2 HL?

I take Psychology HL, along with Chemistry HL and Biology HL.
    My SL subjects are English A2, Swedish A1 and Maths

It's really easy to score 7's in Psychology. I rarely ever study before a test and I always score 6's or 7's. Psychology SL is SOOOO much easier than HL, so I don't see a problem in it.
    I'm in English A2 SL and still get 7's in Psychology HL, so go for it! It's not that hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mykk3i)
    ALright :eek3:
    I am in Yr.11 and is really interested in studying Psychology and wants to be a psychiatrist.
    If you want to be a psychiatrist, you'll need to go to medical school.

If you want to be a psychologist, however, a psych degree is a good start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SwedenSappy)
    hmm I'm not really sure what you're asking? If you'll be capable of taking Psychlogy SL even if you're in English A2 HL?

I take Psychology HL, along with Chemistry HL and Biology HL.
    My SL subjects are English A2, Swedish A1 and Maths

It's really easy to score 7's in Psychology. I rarely ever study before a test and I always score 6's or 7's. Psychology SL is SOOOO much easier than HL, so I don't see a problem in it.
    I'm in English A2 SL and still get 7's in Psychology HL, so go for it! It's not that hard
    You for real??!!! cause my school said that Psychology is writing intensive..and judging from my english ability, my school might not allow me to take this subject! Moreover i might not be able to study Chem HL...

but thx!! YOu helped me a lot!

ReputationRep:
    This might take awhile, but i need help and advice or opinions from experienced IB students as i need to choose my subjects soon!

Here is my current MYP grades:
    English B adv 6
    Chinese A 3-5
    Math standard 3-5
    Science 5
    Art 6
    DT 6
    Humanities 4-6

I want to become a Psychiatrist/ Vet/ Accounting(or work in bank)/ Interior Designer. I also wish to study in Canada (mcgill/UofT/Guelph).
    Although i know that i am reaching too high to study medicine..as my teacher don't think i am suitable for Chem HL but we are discussing about it.

Is it alright if i take:

Psychiatrist
    HL:Bio/ Chem/English A2
    SL: Chinese A1, Psychology/ business and management/ Math

Veterinary
    HL:Bio/ Chem/English A2
    SL: Chinese A1, business and management, Math

Accounting
    HL:/English A2/ Business and Management
    SL: Math/ Chem/Econ

Interior Deisgner
    HL: English A2/ Business and Management/ DT /Art
    SL: Chinese A1/ Math/ Chem

I heard that Chem HL is compulsory for studying Medicine,
    but would it be alright if i take Bio Sl and Chem HL?
    This is so that i might get a chance of entering MEdicine for university??
    Also, do i have to take Math HL in order to get into medicine??? (but my math is not good enough) If there are any medicine students, please tell me the basic requirements!

I need any ideas of combinations that would work well with my current grades! Thank you!:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yunnnie)
    i want to be an accountant. which subject is more appropriate?
    your advices are very much appreciated. thank you in advanced.

first language: english hl/sl
    second language: chinese hl/sl
    group3:economics hl
    group4: biology/environmental systems and society sl
    group5: math hl
    group6: business management/psychology hl/sl

my mother tongue is mandarin but i want to study in the US or UK in the future so i have to take english as my first language.

-should i take english as high or standard?
    -if i take english sl and chinese hl. will it looks like i am neither too good in english or chinese?
    -if i take only biology alone.what can i take up as a major or minor in the university? because most of the career requires chemistry more than biology. but i am more interested in biology than chemistry and physics.
    -what is environmental systems and society?
    -what is the difference between environmental systems and society and biology?
    -should i take up business management or pyschology? i am sure will want to be involved in the business world later. but i heard that business management is a soft subject. i like business management more but i like pyschology too.

basically i have only chosen 2 subjects. that is math hl and economics hl.

what is the ib score required to enter london school of business and the wharton school of upenn?

Hello there. Wow, must be a very tough decision to make. But to be an accountant, you MUST have HL maths to get into a good university. Economics is a very excellent choice. I think that you should take:

HL Maths, Economics, Business & Management
    SL English, Chinese, Biology

Business will not look bad if you have HL math and economics. The languages are not anything useful if you are going to do accountant. And you have english A1 SL...so you can still qualify to study in the UK or US. Psychology is very hard and quite pointless to your future, especially if you want to take the business route. As long as you have math and economics HL, your subjects are fine.

Environmental systems, you study more about the environment and nature. There is a bit of biology - but I would say that biology is a more interesting subject. Environment is also seen as a soft subject or an "easy way out". So if you do business AND environment, it won't look that good. Choose one (:

ReputationRep:

i'm starting IB only september 2010, but already have some worries about my subject choice. i am interested in studying PPE (not sure about which universities am going to apply though, depends on the grades). so, usually subject choice for this course would be similar to this:

right? but the point is that everyone from my school who's in IB now keeps saying that HL Economics is very very difficult and only geniuses can get 7 there. i am also not so sure about Math SL... this year i am not very well at it because of lots of geometry. is there a lot of it in the IB Math SL also?
    and finally, even though i am about 80% sure that i'm going to study outside of my coutry, there's still slight possibility that i could change my mind and consider staying, but universities here require Lithuanian exam, which requires HL Lithuanian...

I'm pretty shocked. We have the exact same subject, except for the second language. I am taking chinese (: Yeah, I've heard that economics HL is quite tough and challenging - so I am scared too. Have you done economics before? Some say its easy, some say its hard so I really don't know. Right now at GCSE I am getting an A/A* but that could differ in the IB. Also, I haven't done history before but thinks that it'll be interesting (:

ReputationRep:

I'm pretty shocked. We have the exact same subject, except for the second language. I am taking chinese (: Yeah, I've heard that economics HL is quite tough and challenging - so I am scared too. Have you done economics before? Some say its easy, some say its hard so I really don't know. Right now at GCSE I am getting an A/A* but that could differ in the IB. Also, I haven't done history before but thinks that it'll be interesting (:

What I would recommend you to do is:
    HL English, History, Lithuanian
    SL Economics, Maths, Biology

That way, you don't have to be too worried about how hard economics is going to be as you are doing at SL and there are less to learn. On the other hand, it would solve ur whole problem about the lithuanian thing.

ReputationRep:
    What should i do??!! MY subject choices are due soon!!
    i want to do accounting too!! HAha
    but you see my math suck! Do you think ill be alright if i choose this option?
    HL: English A2, Business and Management, Economics
    SL: Chinese A1, Math, Psychology/Chem

well actually i want to study med too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mykk3i)
    You for real??!!! cause my school said that Psychology is writing intensive..and judging from my english ability, my school might not allow me to take this subject! Moreover i might not be able to study Chem HL...

but thx!! YOu helped me a lot!

Haha what seriously? Your school said that? HOW RUDE!! :woo:
    I mean, I guess you do have to write quite a lot, but I mean, it's not hard by any means!! It's waaaaayyyyyy easier than Chemistry HL or Biology HL.
    But why won't you be able to study Chem HL? I don't get it :O

No problem

ReputationRep:
    Lots of applicants for psychology degrees don't have Psychology qualifications at secondary school level.

However, English A2 is probably more than sufficient for Psychology SL/HL.

ReputationRep:
    hello!
    I'm about to start the IB but i still have some doubts..
    I'd like to study in an Ivy League university or in Cambridge/Oxford either medicine or geography or environmental science

so.. this is what i've chosen so far:

HL:
    English
    Geography
    Chemistry

SL
    Maths
    Spanish
    Biology (and.. i'm not 100% sure, i don't know if it's necessary to have 2science subjects for the careers im thinking of.. i don't know if it would be okay if i chose French or History, what would these universities appreciate the most?)

Also I have this doubt because i like french/history/biology equally and I'm good at the 3 of them

Thanks in advance!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SwedenSappy)
    Haha what seriously? Your school said that? HOW RUDE!! :woo:
    I mean, I guess you do have to write quite a lot, but I mean, it's not hard by any means!! It's waaaaayyyyyy easier than Chemistry HL or Biology HL.
    But why won't you be able to study Chem HL? I don't get it :O

No problem
    HAha yep! They might take a look at your English level, perhaps A1 HL or SL and people kept on bragging about how hard it is going to be.
    (It is the first year that our school has a psychology course so only Psy SL is available)

Well if you were a MYP student then you will understand.
    I've got a 5 out of 7 in chemistry in year 10, and my chem teacher is thinking whether or not i'll do good in it (you know IB is all about your total grade)
    I also got a 5 in BIo so they might think me going for med is overreaching (although it's quite true but...iunno thats what i have to do if i want to study med)

so now you get it??XD
    hehe
    "D

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.